Hi All,

Back while running earlier builds of 10.2, I occasionally experienced data loss while using a 64GB Micro SD card in my Z30. To avoid this, I reverted back to a smaller 16GB SD, and experienced no issues.

With the official release of 10.2.1.2941, and the associated full support for 64GB Micro SD cards, I reverted back to my trusty 64GB card. I erased and formatted the card in the device and the device downloaded the exFat driver.

After a week of using the card, I was busy taking photos and filming video on the weekend when I noticed the photos and videos were no longer showing. The phone could no longer see all of my data from the SD card, and rather only showed a few screenshots saved to the internal memory. Oh no.

I noticed in settings > Storage and Access, when viewing memory card details that it showed 0KB photos, 0KB video and 6.6GB "other data".

I enabled USB mass storage mode and connected to a PC. Thankfullly ALL the files were visible to the PC.

This makes me believe the issue is some form of Indexing corruption (or possibly a permissions issue). The phone can see that the data is there (labeling it "other data"), but cannot recognize it as viable data.

Now I'm thankful that I can simply connect to PC to retrieve data, but it's certainly not optimal to have the data appear missing from the phone! Has anyone else experienced this? Could this be a bug in the .2941 release?
    06-09-14 06:46 PM
    I'm wondering if it relates to the way I restored data to my SD card.

This was my process.

* Enable USB mode, and copy all data from old 16GB SD card to my PC.
    * Insert new 64GB card into phone, erase and format card, then enable USB mode again.
    * Connect to PC and copy all data from computer to SD card.
    * Turn off USB mode.

I'm thinking that maybe in doing this, system files or indexing files from the old SD card may have been copied onto the new card, which might cause the corruption? Any ideas on this?

Maybe future firmware should check if an incorrect indexing file or system files are present on an SD card and somehow update them?

I've reformatted again, and copied selected files back only - ensuring not to copy any system files. We'll see if the corruption comes back now.
    06-09-14 07:01 PM
    Hmm I'm not sure exactly how your problem is. But I think this BlackBerry 10 does mess around with the SD card. I had some pictures that randomly went missing, some pictures have black thumbnails (these I can view). The missing pictures I thought I may have put in my computer and deleted off my SD card but that wasn't the case. I'm unable to find these pictures even when I put the SD card into my laptop.

It's pretty annoying since it seems like I'll never get those pictures back.

Using a 32GB SanDisk card.

Edit: holy s*** I just used what you guys mentioned regarding USB mass storage and I found the pictures!

Posted via CB10 on the Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    06-10-14 01:35 AM
    SanDisc cards are known for issues. Use Patriot cards. I switched all my sd cards in ALL my units to them years ago. They work. Always. Cameras, camcorders, picture frames, Android and BlackBerry phones. In fact my Z10 Has my old EVO3D SD card...never has issues. Filled it up 3 times with pics and videos and reformatted in the Z10 each time. Never have had any issues with a single file, playing, viewing transferring.
    (no, I'm not in any way associated or affiliated with Patriot, just trying to help out fellow Crackberrians)... It pains me to see so very many of us with issues...

Trusted Member Genius on Verizon 10.3.0.296/442
    06-10-14 05:44 AM
    I had the same problem before. Turned out it was because my SD card was not class 10. Got a new class 10 and haven't had a problem since.

Posted via CB10 on ZED10
    06-10-14 05:54 AM
    I had the same problem before. Turned out it was because my SD card was not class 10. Got a new class 10 and haven't had a problem since.

Posted via CB10 on ZED10
    ^This

I have a class 10 64GB SanDisk card and have never had an issue.

Posted via CB10
    06-10-14 07:25 AM
    Contrary to popular belief, SD cards have a lifespan and subject to defects and death. Check it on a computer or something to see if it still reads and writes realiably.
    06-10-14 12:33 PM
    For the past year or so, people have found that class 4 cards don't play nice.
    The failsafe is class 10, which I personally haven't had a problem ever. My class 4 one had errors even in BBOS days
    06-10-14 12:51 PM
    I have a class 10 SanDisk 64gb and I've lost all my data on the card

Connecting it to the computer doesn't resolve the issue like the OP but I have used a recovery software to bring back my old photos and videos.

It seems like one of the files on there caused the corruption as when I am recovering the data, it keeps being interrupted by this one particular file and doesn't complete the recovery.

I attempted recovery 3 times before I gave up. I've got half my data, but the other half is still locked away somewhere in the card.

Might give it another shot tonight actually. I read that once the card is corrupted, you shouldn't use it. So I've been storing all my photos and videos on my phone and now it's nearly full

Posted via CB10
    06-10-14 04:18 PM
    Contrary to popular belief, SD cards have a lifespan and subject to defects and death. Check it on a computer or something to see if it still reads and writes realiably.
    How?
    06-10-14 05:33 PM
    I have a class 10 SanDisk 64gb and I've lost all my data on the card

Connecting it to the computer doesn't resolve the issue like the OP but I have used a recovery software to bring back my old photos and videos.

It seems like one of the files on there caused the corruption as when I am recovering the data, it keeps being interrupted by this one particular file and doesn't complete the recovery.

I attempted recovery 3 times before I gave up. I've got half my data, but the other half is still locked away somewhere in the card.

Might give it another shot tonight actually. I read that once the card is corrupted, you shouldn't use it. So I've been storing all my photos and videos on my phone and now it's nearly full

Posted via CB10
    Get rid of the SanDisc card. A lot of them have issues. I replaced mine with Patriot cards. Patriot Cards are known for their reliability. I haven't had an issue with one yet. I use them in all my phones, cameras, camcorders, picture frames and my Garmin gps.

06-12-14 12:48 PM
    I think the issue is you formatted a 64gb sdhc card as fat32 in your phone which some cards say not to do. Some even have issues when trying to format them again at exfat.
    06-12-14 01:24 PM
    Get rid of the SanDisc card. A lot of them have issues. I replaced mine with Patriot cards. Patriot Cards are known for their reliability. I haven't had an issue with one yet. I use them in all my phones, cameras, camcorders, picture frames and my Garmin gps.

I've used SanDisk for years. Never an issue.
    06-12-14 01:24 PM

Are you using a 64gb in your BlackBerry? I'm just wondering if it's just the 64gb cards that have issues of if it's actually SanDisk.

Now that I think about it, I remember a friend of mine who had a corrupted SanDisk after using it in her Canon DSLR. Didn't think it would happen to me

I think I might take your advice and just get myself a new Patriot card. I've been having too much trouble with this one. I've recovered more data today, but there are still a few files that refuse to be recovered and keeps crashing the recovery program. Which then means I have to start again and re-do the scan. Again. Which take about 1h 15min.

Posted via CB10
    06-12-14 05:33 PM