Hey guys,

I just updated to this, the newest software release, and all three of my email accounts (two Yahoo and one Gmail) accounts were not connected when the phone restarted. So I re-entered the passwords for the two Yahoo accounts, no problem, and then when I went to enter the password for the Gmail account, it switched from the usual email setup page to a browser page with the Gmail sign-in page. Odd, I thought, but fine. So I put in my user name and password, and then the following came up:

"This app would like to:

View and manage your mail

Manage your caendars

View and manage your contacts using the CardDav protocol"

You could either accept this (give Gmail/google all my phone contacts) or cancel, i.e. unless you accept this you can't use Gmail.

No how, no effing way will I ever, ever, EVER give Gmail (or anything else) access to my contacts. That's my personal information and that's that. Is there a way around this? Is anyone else using Gmail (obviously yes) and did you grant it access to this information?

I deleted the Gmail account off my phone and I'm contemplating shutting the account altogether and opening a hushmail account. I'm so sick of every app deciding it needs your location, all your contacts, your SSN, weight, eye color, shoe size, etc. to run. It's nonsense and I'm really fed up.
    Revampd likes this.
    04-17-14 04:57 PM
    I'm dying to hear what comes of the.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-14 05:13 PM
    Same thing happened to me, I just clicked away...

It's ironic that in a culture that is becoming less and less linked by personal relationships that more is know about us by corporations than our neighbors...

Posted via CB10
    04-17-14 05:52 PM
    I have to admit, as much as I hated myself for doing it, I went ahead and allowed it.

Does anyone know if that actually meant gmail has access to our phone contacts, calendar, etc..? -- as opposed to the Google calendar?

Posted via CB10
    04-17-14 06:15 PM
    The first time I saw that, I clicked away, thinking I must've done something wrong. Went through it again and came to the same screen. I gritted my teeth and closed my eyes as I accepted it.

But then, the calendar and contacts didn't show up. I only have email. So, hmm. Not sure.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-14 06:29 PM
    I well into app permissions and didn't see anything about gmail.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-14 06:39 PM
    Maybe part of their new terms of service disclosures...

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...A3D1RT20140414

Posted via CB10
    04-17-14 06:51 PM
    Gmail has always done that on my device. Pretty sure that the contact and calendar sync is for any items in those areas that you want to sync to your device. It does not open up existing contacts and load them to your Gmail account. You actually have to save them as gmail contacts

STL-4. 10.2.1.2947 w/ 1259 clock
    04-17-14 10:24 PM