Hey guys, my apologies for making yet another battery thread, but this issue is very important and I have been trying to solve it for literally days.

As you can see from the Battery Guru chart below, my battery is perfectly fine when I am at home and connected to wifi. Immediately when I turn my wifi off and leave the house (11:45) and data services kicks in, power usage triples and the phones temperature begins to rise.....

From the period of about 12:00 until 1:30 I was in a work out session and the phone was idle, just sucking power back on data services. At 13:30 I turned data services off and power usage went back down to normal....

My carrier is Telus, I am using HSPA+/UMTS and this issue has been happening ever since the 10.1 update APN issue. A lit of Telus users were experiencing wiped APN settings after updating to 10.1...

I have since solved the APN issue by installing a minor update via Link every time they are wiped. Could this data service issue just be a bug? It is very annoying because it prevents me from using any data what so ever without draining the phone in one hour....

Some of my thoughts are to change the Network Technology to maybe 4G LTE, etc and also experiment with switching location services.

Any Telus techs out there, it would be awesome if you could help me out, it could be my phone sending hundreds of data requests every minute...

Sorry for the long post guys. I know the CrackBerry community is usually very helpful, so please don't hesitate to add my BBM for quicker chat.

10.1 Data Services battery drain-img_00000001.png
    06-07-13 04:05 PM
    Hi,

Experiencing quite a similar problem.
    My phone seems to heat up when I'm connected to data and drains my battery quicker than usual.
    06-13-13 08:43 PM
    Mine did that with the Verizon's 10.05? (their funny in between) upgrade. I went back to my GS3 hoping 10.1 would fix it - guess I wait
    06-13-13 08:59 PM
    Hey guys, thanks for your input and situations. I have found the main cause of my problem. I was using the 5th network selection which is classified as HSPA+/UTMS. I am unaware why, but my phone was working like mad in order to search for this network constantly. Which explains why when wifi turned on, the battery returned to normal, overriding the network data need. I have since switched my data services to LTE. Try switching under network connections. Hope this helps.
    06-14-13 12:37 AM
    Yeah, I spoke to some techy people and they said that the 4G thing sucks battery life and gives the phone a slight fever.

5th option for me says "4g & 3g & 2g". I'm not that tech savvy so I don't really know what those are but if I choose the others without 4g, I can't connect to the internet. My plan requires 4g for internet/data services.
    06-14-13 02:19 AM
    While my contract uses UMTS/HSPA/HSPA+ for internet connection i swapped to 3G/2G/GSM only for the network usage. This makes my battery last much longer.

Usually i have to charge the Z10 after 1 1/2 days + 1 night and that device is used all the time.
    anon5831562 likes this.
    06-14-13 02:47 AM
    That's too bad. Weird that you have no other option.......
    06-14-13 01:53 PM
    Well figured out a a part of the problem. Reason why I couldn't connect to the net with 3g is that my provider didn't activate my data plan... strange though how I can use the net when my phone connects to a 4g network if my data plan was disabled???
    Anyways with that, yes toggling through 4g and non 4g saves a little more battery life but it's so annoying how I have to go through multiple steps to get that option. I end up just keeping my phone plugged in when not in use at work.
    06-27-13 06:54 PM