348 and 2372 are identical. One is the Software release #, the other the OS version #.
    What I'm curious about is whether there is a way to sideload the OS.
    jesse_h likes this.
    02-11-13 10:00 AM
    I'm on TELUS and have 348. I am getting no updates at this time.
    PowderJockey likes this.
    02-11-13 10:08 AM
    So it is not as iphone or most of the Android phones?

Weren't we told that BIS and all other things need be sacrificed so that we hav blah blah blah modern platform.

Why apple does it directly, so does Google with nexus line, so does Microsoft with windows phone and so do HTC and Samsung with most of their phones.

So modernization of all things apparently did not make it to updates?

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    Are you really that ignorant? In case you haven't noticed, not a single carrier sells the Nexus 4. The exception (Tmobile) is desperate for customers right now, and that's why they sell it. Even then, I have a Nexus 4 that I bought directly from Google Play, and I don't always get updates at the same time as everybody else, so...

The only phone that doesn't is iPhone. Why? Because carriers have to beg Apple to carry it, since Apple fanboys will cut off their own arm to get one.
    straightshooter, jesse_h and joski like this.
    02-11-13 10:08 AM
    I updated and now show Wind Home with 4G, didn't have to call or switch from BlackBerry data. Also have a Wind splash screen on startup. Don't know what else changed, but something must have because it was a 600+ MB update...

02-11-13 10:11 AM
    Well...my data and all works just fine....looks like a carrier update...4G on wind..

02-11-13 11:01 AM
    Odd. I am on Rogers and they use the 4G symbol for their hspa+ network and it says LTE for LTE

Are you sure you are getting LTE speeds when it says 4G? Or like said above maybe it is roaming onto someone else's network

02-11-13 11:31 AM
    Speeds are definitely not LTE...I switch between telus and wind, so i know that it is blazing fast on Telus ..but it is snappier than 3G on Wind's 4G...really am happy all around with this phone..

02-11-13 12:23 PM
    Are you really that ignorant? In case you haven't noticed, not a single carrier sells the Nexus 4. The exception (Tmobile) is desperate for customers right now, and that's why they sell it. Even then, I have a Nexus 4 that I bought directly from Google Play, and I don't always get updates at the same time as everybody else, so...

The only phone that doesn't is iPhone. Why? Because carriers have to beg Apple to carry it, since Apple fanboys will cut off their own arm to get one.
    Windows Phone is also receiving direct updates.

Secondly, lots of iphones and android phones are sold unlocked.

Get over it, tones of phones are sold unlocked/free in the world.

By the way in Europe you may get easily Z10 unlocked/free as almost any other phone without a need to go to the carrier.

My Z10 is unlocked/free of any operator crap phone.

The reason why apple and to some extent Samsung can be independent is because their phones sell in millions. Simple as that.

By the way about Google nexus - check its price in Google play. Truly, at such specs they don't need carriers to sell at the price they set. Google can afford to subsidize it itself and sell it unlocked.

It is very simple, apple, Samsung and Google are very profitable uber giant corporations. Just apple stock ups and down affect their market cap for values 3 times the rim's cap. Very simple - those who set the market can choose the ways.

I am not sure what path rim will choose. But hopefully with regards to updates they will have the balls to do what apple did in 2007 - and apple was having just their first phone - set the rules for the benefit of the platform and it showed paid back.

02-11-13 01:28 PM
    And as for updates for Google nexus - Google nexus 4 gets update queued by server to distribute the load. Galaxy nexus was screwed for non yakju code models receiving updates via Samsung. That could be fixed by changing code. However those non yakju models were sold by Samsung in stores mostly in Europe and far east not from Google directly.

02-11-13 01:31 PM
    So, back on topic, are our phones permanently branded with these lame wind startup screens?

More importantly, did we lose any network functionality with the update now that we cannot see the additional carriers when we search manually?
    02-11-13 05:42 PM
    So, back on topic, are our phones permanently branded with these lame wind startup screens?

More importantly, did we lose any network functionality with the update now that we cannot see the additional carriers when we search manually?
    Yes.

No.

02-11-13 05:43 PM
    And how are we certain of either?
    02-11-13 06:01 PM
    348 and 2372 are identical. One is the Software release #, the other the OS version #.
    What I'm curious about is whether there is a way to sideload the OS.
    Exactly so please do not get mixed up with those two and stop messing up with our minds already. There is not going to be an other OS update. Only 10.1 is coming on it's way.
    02-11-13 06:14 PM
    And how are we certain of either?
    We are not certain of anything. BlackBerry can change anything at any time.

1. Carriers are accustomed to having their customization. BlackBerry has always (thus far) allowed carriers to have their start-up splash screen to always appear if a particular carrier's SIM card is used in that device. This probably doesn't have a good chance of going away until BlackBerry is as big as Apple and Samsung and possibly not even then (see Samsung's Android and WP devices on AT&T and Verizon). As pointed out by others, some carriers don't exercise this option.

2. You do NOT lose anything. Your ability to get on other networks is not determined by what's shown in the list but rather your carrier's roaming arrangements with other carriers. This is propagated to your device through your SIM card and designed to work automatically as your carrier sees fit. The only thing you might lose is ability to "force" another network for access to Emergency Call functionality. However, your device will work for Emergency Calls on any reachable (read as in coverage reach, not marketing) network whether you have a SIM card in it or not. (Further, in the US, all carriers are required to unconditionally let you access their network for 911 calls as long as you have a compatible device. I'm sure Canada has similar rules.)
    02-11-13 06:17 PM
    We are not certain of anything. BlackBerry can change anything at any time.

1. Carriers are accustomed to having their customization. BlackBerry has always (thus far) allowed carriers to have their start-up splash screen to always appear if a particular carrier's SIM card is used in that device. This probably doesn't have a good chance until BlackBerry is as big as Apple and Samsung and possibly not even then (see Samsung's Android and WP devices on AT&T and Verizon).
    Funnily enough, my carrier (Telus) seems to have been extremely generous by not bothering with a splash screen, nor any branding on the phone or the box. However, it downloaded and installed the Telus My Account app automatically during the setup, but at least it allowed me to uninstall it (it's a rubbish Android port, prefer using the website). Anyone know if any other carriers haven't bothered with any branding?
    02-11-13 06:20 PM
    SaskTel - no carrier branding. No software updates either.

02-11-13 06:26 PM
    Anyone know what is updated?
    02-11-13 06:37 PM
    on telus im running .348 tried to update nothing as of now ......
    02-11-13 07:25 PM
    If you're right, your version is higher.
    2372 is higher than 348.
    i thought when using decimels, even in version releases, .3xx would be higher than a .2xxx,,, add a 0(zero) to .348(0), which would be done in any simple math application/progression, & it's a higher number,,, could you double check w/ your Bell guy on this or can anyone else shed some light please???
    02-11-13 09:12 PM
    could this update be based on the Hardware used? we heard there are different varients of the phones for different markets and areas, could this update be fore those with the OMAP andus with the Qualcomm chipset still be o na different version
    02-11-13 09:18 PM
    i thought when using decimels, even in version releases, .3xx would be higher than a .2xxx,,, add a 0(zero) to .348(0), which would be done in any simple math application/progression, & it's a higher number,,, could you double check w/ your Bell guy on this or can anyone else shed some light please???
    No, in this example 348 would be equivalent to 0348. Each number set before/after a decimal is a whole number.

Anyway...
    Mystery solved!

348 is the OS release number.
    2372 is the OS version: what we would have called the application with legacy BBOS.

Don't believe me and think you're running 348? Just type myver in any text field on your Z10 and you'll see:
    Z10STL100-3/10.0.9.2372

b320 and BerryGuy4040 like this.
    02-11-13 11:24 PM
    For "elite1", your screenshot shows OS version 10.0.9.348......my Z10 is 10.0.9.2372....is your version newer, or are the OS's different because of different carriers? I'm with Bell Canada.
    I have same version as elite1 and am on Telus. Looks like is carrier version number ?
    02-11-13 11:36 PM
    There are 4 different versions of the Z10:
    STL100-1, STL100-2, STL100-3, STL100-4.
    I found the references buried in settings but I've no idea where now. I'll look later.
    02-11-13 11:37 PM
    I bought my phone officially unlocked. Am I still restricted by the carrier I'm using?

02-11-13 11:41 PM
    I bought my phone officially unlocked. Am I still restricted by the carrier I'm using?

No. All updates come from BlackBerry.
    02-11-13 11:42 PM
108 1234 ...