Any tried this game yet? Looks good, but I've not done flight simulators in a long time.

Check out Flight Theory in BlackBerry World! You can find it at http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/33245887

Posted via CB10
    08-05-13 08:00 AM
    Based on the App World link it LOOKS pretty cool. I used to play Red Baron back in the day. (If you are not over 40 you probably have never heard of that game!)
    08-05-13 08:54 AM
    Red Baron ftw! Loved that game

Posted via CB10
    08-05-13 03:37 PM
    This looks great! A little large but if it's as good as it looks, I'll bite

Posted via CB10
    08-06-13 06:44 PM
    I remember Red Baron.

@marc_lepage developer of Alpha Memory and NeverMaze

Posted via CB10
    08-06-13 07:23 PM
    It's not sized right for the Q10, the image is too wide for it. I've had some trouble taking off and staying level, not sure if its user error or the game controls though.
    08-07-13 08:47 AM
    Picked it up. After the tutorials it was easy to calibrate and control though pretty challenging. Good flight physics. Very happy with it.

Posted via CB10
    08-07-13 09:47 PM
    Picked it up. After the tutorials it was easy to calibrate and control though pretty challenging. Good flight physics. Very happy with it.

Posted via CB10
    are you on a z10 or q10?
    08-08-13 08:21 AM
    are you on a z10 or q10?
    Z10

Posted via CB10
    08-09-13 05:30 AM
    Ahh, ok, would you be able to post a screen shot from the Z10 by chance?

This is what I see on my Q, and i'm pretty sure i'm missing something on the sides or at the bottom.

Have You Tried Flight Theory?-img_00000241.png

Have You Tried Flight Theory?-img_00000242.png
    08-12-13 02:24 PM
    Being an avid flight simulator fan I bought this game as soon as I saw this post. At first I thought it had a lot of promise and it is true that the physics are good. But my opinion quickly changed after I noticed a major flaw.

For one, the screen is very unresponsive to the touch. I have to tap several times before the app acts on my selection. But worse still, the planes cannot climb! That's right, tilting up does nothing. I realized this when I couldn't take off and then read the reviews and many reports of this problem. Lesson learnt: read the reviews.

So be fore-warned, this is a pretty useless flight simulator when such a basic function doesn't work. Unless you enjoy crashing all the time. To be fair, I have had successful landings. Then again, that's about all you can do.

Edit: Forgot to mention that your settings selections are not saved so you have to change them everytime you start playing. For example, by default I always have KPH selected but I change it to MPH. Next time I play I have to reselect it in settings again.
    Last edited by dynot; 08-14-13 at 07:32 PM.
    FCSC likes this.
    08-14-13 07:19 PM
    Hi guys,

I developed Flight Theory and I'm relieved I can actually talk to some who have tried it. The climbing error is related to some accelerometer problem that completely baffles me. If you close the app, then re-open it, usually it works from then on (you might still need to calibrate it after taking off.)

The menu responsiveness is due to a bug in the UI code. It fires a lot of events for each touch instead of just one. I've tried taming it by limiting the number of touches interpreted by time, but it's still a little clunky. I have to apologize for that, I will eventually get it as responsive as the others. I used a different UI API for Flight Theory than my other games.

I developed the game on a Z10. I wish I anticipated the Q10 cutting the screen off, but that's something I can likely fix if you'll bear with me.

The game has had strong support on in AppWorld so I'm fired up to continue developing it. You mentioned the file size and I'm trying to keep it low, but the textures get very blurry if I push it much further. Each plane adds a lot of new textures that need to be fit in the game too.

The Z10 has more than enough processing power to make a more realistic flight model, so I'm encouraged to push it further.

Whew. One last thing. I've gotten a ton of aircraft requests so I'm planning on adding a Cessna 172 Skyhawk in the big update (probably after I've tamed the UI.)

Thanks!
    08-19-13 08:04 PM
    @evil dingo
    I appreciate the info! I figured the game was developed for the z10, but was excited none the less! Look forward to future updates & Thank you.
    08-20-13 08:01 AM
    Hi guys,

I developed Flight Theory and I'm relieved I can actually talk to some who have tried it. The climbing error is related to some accelerometer problem that completely baffles me. If you close the app, then re-open it, usually it works from then on (you might still need to calibrate it after taking off.)
    Thanks!
    First, let me say that your response is very much appreciated. It's good to see a developer keeping in contact with customers which only leads to building loyalty and possibly increased sales.

However, I do feel you skimped on the solution to this serious problem. Closing and restarting the app, re-booting the device, calibrating does nothing to fix this. So now I have a flight simulator which does nothing but crash because it cannot climb on take-off. I used it a couple of times when the plane was in flight and headed for a landing. Now it's just taking up space.

I'd rather the problem be fixed but if this is not possible, how do we get a refund?
    08-20-13 09:03 PM
    I've just submitted an update that fixes the UI responsiveness. It should be available in a few days after Blackberry approves the release.

As for the climbing issue: The game calibrates the accelerometer (which drives the turning and climbing) when you first start a new mission. Try holding the device at a 45 degree angle with the top further away from you than the bottom when you first start it (like you were going to read a book). Please let me know if this fixes the issue. If it does, I'll write some new code that will detect the orientation of the device and compensate automatically.

I have tested this game on more than 15 devices and have never had that problem. I suspect it has something to do with your location on the Earth and the accelerometer. Most people don't experience the problem, but I know it's extremely frustrating to those who do.
    08-20-13 09:52 PM
    I've just submitted an update that fixes the UI responsiveness. It should be available in a few days after Blackberry approves the release.

As for the climbing issue: The game calibrates the accelerometer (which drives the turning and climbing) when you first start a new mission. Try holding the device at a 45 degree angle with the top further away from you than the bottom when you first start it (like you were going to read a book). Please let me know if this fixes the issue. If it does, I'll write some new code that will detect the orientation of the device and compensate automatically.

I have tested this game on more than 15 devices and have never had that problem. I suspect it has something to do with your location on the Earth and the accelerometer. Most people don't experience the problem, but I know it's extremely frustrating to those who do.
    Looks like you've isolated the problem! I calibrated as you suggested and now it climbs. You may be right in that it could be related to location. For whatever its worth, I'm in Montreal which is 45.5000� N, 73.5667� W.

Looking forward to the update. Again, thanks for being so proactive.
    08-20-13 10:07 PM
    Excellent! Glad that fixed it. How did you hold it before? I'll see if I can replicate the bug here and smash it for good!
    08-20-13 11:05 PM
    Pretty much at a 90-degree angle. I found calibrating at different angles from almost horizontal to almost vertical does affect the climbing sensitivity. Banking control (left and right turns) wasn't affected at all which I expected.

Posted via CB10
    08-21-13 06:40 AM
    been on vacation so I've not been attentive or I'd have posted screenshots days ago. Sounds like your issues were resolved. I notice that if I change how I'm sitting, I may have to recalibrate, which seems perfectly fine.

EvilDingo: my comment about the size was a MINOR concern. I am really happy with the program and that you are staying with it. I'm looking forward to a few more planes, too. Many thanks! I've not been able to do much when I get it out of "simple flight mode" and don't recall (though it's been a while) real flight being so hectic (ie. Being so easy to lose control.) I'd love to hear from some pilots regarding this.
    08-21-13 06:48 AM
    EvilDingo, I may have stumbled on some other possible cause of the climbing issue.

I'm usually on top of OS upgrades but this time around I missed the latest one to 4181. So this morning I upgraded. I think the last official Rogers one was 273. Now I don't have to calibrate at all.

Posted via CB10
    08-21-13 09:08 AM
    Hello!

I've found a climbing issue too. Basically, when you tilt the device past 90 degrees vertical, it would get confused and think the plane was descending again. Basically, I was using a 2D tilt solution for a 3D problem. I think I've solved it now though! So it shouldn't matter how you hold the device anymore and I think that was the last major issue really bugging me. This thread has helped me a ton, thanks for that!

I'll get these updates on BB as soon as I can.

I've been thinking of a sort of "Career Mode" mode where you build up your own airfield. This would be a big undertaking though, so I'm still only considering it. I want to give more purpose to flying around. Is this a feature you'd want?
    08-21-13 06:50 PM
    A career mode would be awesome. Can't wait till I get to promoted to a 747.

Posted via CB10
    08-21-13 07:27 PM
    Okay, the menu responsiveness fixes are live now on AppWorld. I've just submitted a fix for the climbing issue. That should hopefully be it for bug fixes and I can focus on new content now.
    08-21-13 11:49 PM
    After reading this thread, I now have to buy the game. A career mode would be awesome! Missions and progress and unlockables and collections and... hangars. and a helicopter.

Posted via CB10
    08-23-13 04:59 PM