Has anyone sideloaded Ingress? It's an augmented reality MMO type game. Currently it's only on Android, with alleged plans for an iOS version. Seems to run on Google maps. I just started re-reading up on it. And it seems interesting. Would it work on BB10. IF it goes to iOS it will obviously use another map base

Posted via CB10
    12-17-13 03:56 PM
    You need google services to run. Are you on the 10.2.1.1055 leak?
    12-17-13 04:25 PM
    No. I prefer the official releases. I meant to add my question as to whether a leak will allow it to work on a BB10 device. That might swing my trepidation

Posted via CB10
    12-17-13 04:46 PM
    to answer your question, yes it will work. It works even on a 10.1 version OS release. (Ingress only requires Gingerbread to run, so you're in the clear)
    12-27-13 04:13 PM
    That is good. I haven't sideloaded a single app yet. I will once the official 10.2.1 releases though. Thanks =)

Posted via CB10
    12-27-13 05:03 PM
    Wait, hold on. It will run, but you may need to find a patched version of it that will run without Google Play services.

Posted via CB10
    12-27-13 09:13 PM
    Wait, hold on. It will run, but you may need to find a patched version of it that will run without Google Play services.

Posted via CB10
    Google Play Services installs and runs fine on 10.1 OS. All you need is GoogleLoginServices.apk and GooglePlayServices.apk (I'm guessing the file names but I'm close enough). Run Ingress, it's going to load up Google Login Services, put in your email addy, approve permissions and voila! Ingress on BB10.

Heck, you can even get the Gmail app working on 10.1 OS. (though admittedly it does depend on the version. some versions will not work at all. Same with Google Play Services. Same with Google Login Service.)

As for Google Play Store, it's necessary to have, not because it runs properly, but because it runs just enough that some apps/games you've previously paid for will think everything is valid and will work without issue. Although that scenario is quickly becoming less and less now that Google has implemented per-device encryption in their apps/games. There's no workaround to get those apps/games running on any version of BB10 for the time being.

*and now, with 10.2 OS and ability to install APK's directly, it would seem that Google Play Store installation is a requirement. Again, not because it works entirely, but because it works just enough to get things installed properly.
    12-28-13 09:10 PM