IMO the first round of BB10 devices will get blown away by iPhone "5" sales. Once the second or third round of BB10 devices come out, then I think RIM will be competing with sales numbers (if BB10 turns out to be successful).

Also, for those who keep saying every iPhone is the same, take a look at BlackBerry. If you think RIMs refreshes are bigger upgrades than what the iPhones have gotten you are out of your mind. The Bold line was basically running the exact same hardware since the 9000. The 9900 was the first one to be different again.
    I got news for you, the first round of BB10 devices better be a hit out of the gate. If not, there wont be a second, let alone a third round.
    Last edited by garment69; 04-27-12 at 12:50 PM.
    04-27-12 12:36 PM
    Wow moved over to the BlackBerry 10 board..
    04-27-12 01:04 PM
    Reality check folks...99% of BB10 buyers will be former BB owners and the remaining 1% will be made up of people switching from Andorid, iOS and WP7...at least in the first 6 months...maybe you guys should venture out of this forum sometime because out in the rest of the world ain't nobody on Android and iOS right now sitting around just waiting to pick up a BB10 as soon as it's released. Most people i know aren't carrying a BB by choice, its just the phone their company provided.
    There is a big difference in being positive and delusional, it's time BB fans realize that.
    It pains me to thank this post but I have to, its true.
    The only people who even know what BB10 is are BlackBerry fans, to everyone else RIM is bankrupt, thats the perception.
    BB10 is not revolutionary, game changing, its not anything yet, because no one, including us, knows what it is like.
    All we have to go on is the beta, which didn't set anything on fire, and was considered pretty ordinary in the grand scheme of things.
    The same problems that plagued BBOS remain, so far, and are amplified on BB10, cos there are even fewer apps.
    Sometimes realism is a nice thing.
    Heres hoping BB World reveals something unexpected.
    04-27-12 01:21 PM
    I know that no matter what goes into the iPhone 5, irregardless of what bb10 looks like (which I've had a sneak peek of already and whilst it looks cool, isn't revolutionary, more evolutionary with awesome camera features and smooth Multi-tasking being the 2 major changes), I want to try a different OS. I may regret it, but the itch to change has been bugging me through my past 3 BBs. I know i'll miss my bb but What the heck. Wouldn't consider Android cos it's pretty insecure.
    04-27-12 04:30 PM
    Its true that most on other platforms might not even know BB10. But I think that this is where mobile nations might come into play. It will be one of the headlines when BB10 arrives. If it is truly amazing, it might be able to persuade some of the users from other platforms that aren't 100% satisfied with their phone, or perhaps people who just like new tech. Mobile nations is going to play its part in helping push BB10 hopefully. New comparisons tests will be made as well.

The mobile nations podcast is being watched by all platforms, and i'm sure we can count on Kevin to help create awareness.

BUT, the product must be good.

Of course any help will be great for RIM. If you want RIM to do well, you can all play your part. Like my friends who were impressed with the performance of the PlayBook, i just tell them that later this year the new BB phones will be using the same base OS as the PlayBook. Most are pretty impressed with it after they see it in action.
    04-27-12 05:41 PM
    I know that crackberry is a fan site, but what's with the undying loyalty to a brand. What ever happened to evaluating products based on their merits. IF iPhone is the right smartphone for you good, if it's Android that's cool, if it's BB then yay! There is nothing that says because you don't want a BB that means you want RIM dead. Honestly, this and equal apple and android sites are over the top sometimes.

Does anyone here post rants on pepsi, or do they rave about their Ford car, while hoping Toyota goes out of business.

Sheesh!
    Skier1960 likes this.
    04-27-12 06:33 PM
    I know that crackberry is a fan site, but what's with the undying loyalty to a brand. What ever happened to evaluating products based on their merits. IF iPhone is the right smartphone for you good, if it's Android that's cool, if it's BB then yay! There is nothing that says because you don't want a BB that means you want RIM dead. Honestly, this and equal apple and android sites are over the top sometimes.

Does anyone here post rants on pepsi, or do they rave about their Ford car, while hoping Toyota goes out of business.

Sheesh!
    SMH. Really? Its not loyalty. Its called posting in the right section. This is the section of trying out BBs and helping out others with theirs. The ios and android sections are else where.
    So yea I don't go to an apple forum wanting to talk about blackberrys. I expect to find discussions about iphones, ipads, ipods, or apple tvs there. You really didn't think that a blackberry forum would be a place you found that everybody hates blackberrys did cha?
    04-27-12 09:43 PM
    While my mind does run to the next iphone disrupting potential success of the BB10, I am actually a bit skeptical of that thought. When the iPhone comes, it's already something everyone knows. There isn't going to be anything *new* about that device with the exception of *most likely* LTE capability. And honestly with the way BBW has gone, I don't think RIM is necessarily trying to target apple per say.

What RIM is bringing is something completely brand new. At the least, that's going to garner curiosity. Apple's iOS I think, while fantastically efficient, is starting to become stale. And I don't think there are any significant foreseeable changes to it coming since Apple is taking many elements of iOS and mixing them in with MacOS.

Windows Phone 7 was something new, but I think it's ended up not being very appealing. You have a blank background with a bunch of squares, and the UI is so vertical that thumb use is difficult. It's nice and fluid, but I think rather than intriguing customers, it's confusing them. Working in an AT&T store, I've been seeing this every day. Almost all of the Nokia Windows phones that went out, came back within two weeks to be exchanged for iphones or androids...

All in all, I think BB10 is going to intrigue many people while still having a familiarity and obvious ease of use to it. No matter what the next iPhone will do extremely well, but I think BB10 will still make a decent splash in the space. They've already shown a couple features (like the keyboard) that I believe many will like. BBW is just a minimal scratch of the surface, I'm greatly looking forward to learning the new OS inside and out. Especially what the contacts and calendar apps will evolve to from what they are on PB OS 2.0 now...
    05-02-12 11:33 PM
    well IMO iphone 5 will have nothing new except for cosmetic changes, better processor n gpu. but apple just releasing the iphone means what 20-30 million units sold in a couple of days or even hours (incase of ipad3)? how many total bb7 devices has RIM sold so far? What RIM needs to do is to get the word out and everyone know bb10 is coming and start matching the competition figures.
    05-05-12 08:28 AM
    Apple has far more to lose with the launch of the iPhone 5 compared to RIM and the launch of BB10. If they fail to execute something "magical" the door will be open for the BB10 platform to begin the next phase of interconnected mobile devices. Ontop of that RIM has the ability to leverage their platform and gain revenue from every device, through mobile fusion and QNX car.
    07-26-12 11:32 PM
    I don't think that's a laudable policy. iOS is boring as snot, there's pretrty much nothing at all you can do with the UI outside of stare at the same boring "grid of apps" UI, and the screen size remains the same miniscule 3.5.

Let's be real here, the iPhone's success is pure marketing combined with catering to trend followers who have very little idea about tech. This strategy has allowed them to build a huge app ecosystem, which in turn now serves to provide a solid fall-back for a sub-par and outdated device by 2012 standards.

Get anyone who's actually interested in tech and a device they can really sink their teeth into and the iPhone isn't up to the task. Get someone who's more interested in couponing clubs and their kid's soccer club, and finds some toaster ovens challenging to operate and you have your generic iPhone user. There are a lot more of the latter than the former. Where android took off was with their ability to cater to both, while also having a cool little green robot campaign. Google was the only other player willing to get down and dirty with Apple over touchscreen fun phones.

RIM never even tried until iOS and Android had already saturated the market. Same with MS. RIM's attempt was the Storm and it flopped. MS flopped with WP7. Now we have RIM taking another shot with BB10. MS's second shot involves using their already well established PC user base to get those masses onto their phones. MS has a huge unfair advantage in that respect, so RIM has quite the struggle ahead of them.

Personally I don't think RIM can hope for anything better than 3rd place unless 2 of the other 3 (iPhone, Android, or MS) make some huge mistakes in 2013. It's not because I don't think BB10 can be a great phone, it's because Google and Apple have such a big head start, plus MS just has a bigger user base and cold hard cash.

I personally detest public opinion. The market trends that are driven by the masses give us garbage quality products. Why? Because mob mentality is just that - a huge mass of stupidity. If that wasn't the case, McDonald's wouldn't have grown into the giant that boasts "6 billion morons poisoned. Thanks John Q public for putting this low grade junk at the top of the charts" below the Golden Arches. If popular opinion wasn't seriously F'd up I wouldn't be watching a herd of 300 lb people in old worn sweat pants marching into Walmart every social assistance cheque day

Now you have a pretty good idea how I view people who applaud the success of iPhones, McDonald's and Walmart. You can say all you want about RIM being fail and convincing yourself that they suck due to sales numbers, but hey... I'd rather buy a low selling decent product while you sit there busting out of a sweat suit, cramming a Mcvalue meal in your mouth and hatin' on Tapatalk with your iPhone.

PS: I just had a funny thought. All 3 of those can be found in the same store! Conspiracy? dun-dun dunnnnn!

PPS: I just realized this post beats the crap out of all the RIM bashing posts ever written since the creation of crackberry.com. I am awesome. All shall love me and despair.
    Awesome that a large thread was just posted about forum etiquette and anti-RIM posting, but posts like this completely insulting Apple product users are completely ok on this forum.
    07-27-12 05:28 AM
    Was it really necessary to resurrect a 3-month old thread, simply to complain about trollery that was handled 3 months ago?

CLOSED!!!!!!!!!
    BigBadWulf and Cesare21 like this.
    07-27-12 05:49 AM
112 ... 345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD