After reading through many forums especially crackberry it seems that the big worry about BB10's success is the launch of the iphone 5 - by this I mean that if RIM doesn't show off enough of BB10 software or hardware at blackberry world then everyone will of waited all this time for a let down event with the iphone 5 getting announced soon after. I for one will wait for the hardware and software of BB10 regardless of time but for the people who have been waiting ages such as those with OS 5 and OS 6 devices, it might be too late if RIM doesn't unveil enough of BB10 at BB world. This thread is posed as a question and idea, not facts but I would like to know honestly how many people would feel let down if BB world ends up being a fail or who will be switching devices if BB world is not up to scratch. Lastly I think something out of this world must be shown/done at BB world or RIM is finito
    04-25-12 10:45 PM
    No worries, a new camera and faster processor on the itoy 5 (which is what they ALWAYS put out as a new phone) is not going to compete with BB10 which is a overhaul of the BB OS. Crapple has had the same OS out for ever now and there will be no way that will compete!

Think originality and not sheep status!!! Get a real phone in a blackberry!
    04-25-12 11:01 PM
    Ohhh let me get the popcorn started.....
    04-25-12 11:05 PM
    If you own a QNX based Playbook, you aren't worried at all about BB 10. You know they are going to improve it even more then it already is. I love my PB and I love my BB 9900, best phone out there for me. I will buy a new BB 10 when it comes out though as I can always use two devices. For messaging I must have a BB qwerty board but for everything else, a touch screen would be fine.

As mentioned, the iPhone 5 has been delayed twice now, it might be a different size and slightly better technology but it will have iOS software on it and that isn't necessarily a good thing. Next week RIM will present a rough copy of the BB 10 software and I bet it will be nicer than the QNX we are in love with today. If they compact the new BB 10 phone and make it look and sound like their PB, they will sell millions of them. A 4" screen and BB 10 software and they will be successful.

I'm buying a pile of their stock for next week as this will be a no brainer. Many are tired of the Apple sham and are looking for something new. RIM will have a phone that wins back customers and all will be good again. Right now they are 5 apps away from having the perfect product. Look how great the PB is now and it is 1 year old.
    04-25-12 11:31 PM
    Many are tired of the Apple sham and are looking for something new.
    Let me know when those people start buying phones. Let MS/Nokia know as well.
    04-25-12 11:51 PM
    I don't think so. iPhone is already wildly successful. People will look forward to it much more than BB10. I mean how many of average consumers knows about the playbook? let alone BB10? Even after BB10 has launched, it would take a bit of time before the results can be seen. That, plus provided that BB10 is actually seriously good.

It also depends on how much RIM is willing to spend on marketing. Pay carrier's to have a working demo booth for it. Introduce incentives to sales personnels for every unit sold.

Then when people get good experience from it, they introduce their friends to it. So on and so forth.

But also consider this, people like to switch phone, try something new every so often. If BlackBerry can get the right marketing, they can entice people to give it a try. That provided the new iPhone doesn't have some revolutionary features that no one else have.

RIM has to play their cards exactly right. RIM already has my money for BB10 with physical keyboard when it is released, but what they need to do now is to convince other people to see it as a viable alternative.

Currently there's only 4 viable choice of smartphone platforms. Blackberry, Apple, Google, and Microsoft. Hopefully WebOS Enyo will be picked up as well. The more choices there are, the better it is for consumers.
    04-26-12 12:17 AM
    I think the iphone 5 isn't simply going to be processor and camera upgrades I have a hunch it will have something that will change the way the world views a mobile phone. Let's wait and see!
    04-26-12 01:22 AM
    Basically, I like to keep it simply with my opinions. The iPhone is going to be a HUGE competitor to BB10. If they can beat it to market, they have a chance. If the iPhone launches before it, there will be so much hype and hysteria surrounding it that I don't think BB10 sells well.

*Important to note, I didn't say RIM is dead, or doesn't stand a chance. My opinion is my opinion only, and I think for it to have a shot, they need to release it before the iPhone. I shared the same opinion as the PlayBook launching AFTER the iPad 2. I think that was one of the biggest factors that served for a lackluster launch.
    04-26-12 06:46 AM
    I think the iphone 5 isn't simply going to be processor and camera upgrades I have a hunch it will have something that will change the way the world views a mobile phone. Let's wait and see!
    I think we are gonna see a redesign, better internals and camera, and 4G LTE. I also think they have been working around the clock on a battery to deliver the best LTE battery on the market.

If they haven't, why not release it last year?
    04-26-12 06:47 AM
    Why does everyone expect an iPhone 5 this year? I'll bet it doesn't come out until next year which will give rim some breathing room.
    04-26-12 07:09 AM
    Damn right! Ignore everything going on in the industry today and look to the bright side.

No worries, a new camera and faster processor on the itoy 5 (which is what they ALWAYS put out as a new phone) is not going to compete with BB10 which is a overhaul of the BB OS. Crapple has had the same OS out for ever now and there will be no way that will compete!

Think originality and not sheep status!!! Get a real phone in a blackberry!
    04-26-12 07:12 AM
    I think at this point RIM needs to worry about BB10 and not the iPhone. Trying to rush the phone out before the new iPhone could be a huge mistake. This is probably their last chance in the high end phone market, so they can't put it out half-baked or lacking developer support. On the other hand, they certainly can't afford to delay the phone until after the fanfare around the new iPhone has subsided.

The new iPhone is going to outsell the first BB10 phone, probably by a factor of 15:1 or even 20:1 realistically. I don't think there is anything RIM can do to change that now, so the focus just needs to be on building a quality product with the seeds of a good developer community around it.
    Last edited by app_Developer; 04-26-12 at 07:19 AM.
    cog921, Geeoff, cbvinh and 1 others like this.
    04-26-12 07:15 AM
    Why does everyone expect an iPhone 5 this year? I'll bet it doesn't come out until next year which will give rim some breathing room.
    Xander are you being sarcastic?

What gives you that indication?
    Yaceka likes this.
    04-26-12 07:17 AM
    Built in rocket App?? Takes you to the moon and back? Besides committing to an all touch screen and implementing an old idea well,how exactly did the iPhone revolutionise mobile phones? The mobile Internet was well on its way. The carriers were not geared up before that time. It was a confluence of technology catching up and good implementation. How do you suggest they will create something magical? Don't forget Samsung, HTC and other Android vendors are also researching and tech vise they are ahead of the iPhone curve. Haven't seen anything world changing from them yet.

Maybe it would help if you define what "world changing" is according to you.
    Geeoff and Just Me like this.
    04-26-12 07:28 AM
    Don't be concerned on the subject of the iPhone5. I'll purchase the BB10 phone instead without any type of hesitation.
    bigbmc26 and sledhead800 like this.
    04-26-12 07:29 AM
    Xander are you being sarcastic?

What gives you that indication?
    No, they switched to a 16-18 month release schedule for the iPhone.

I don't expect the iPhone 5 until feb/2013-June/2013.

The 4s was released November 2011, there is no way they'll release another within 12 months.
    Last edited by xandermac; 04-26-12 at 07:38 AM.
    04-26-12 07:34 AM

The 4s was released November 2011, there is no way they'll release another within 12 months.
    There was only one 16 month cycle, that doesn't make a pattern. The other 3 updates were 12 months each.

I think they moved the iPhone to the fall to replace the iPod, which was for years their big fall event going into the holiday season. I think we'll see the new iPhone in October. Spring is for iPad.
    pantlesspenguin and Yaceka like this.
    04-26-12 07:48 AM
    BB10 IMO has more to worry about than Apple. They're launch window is going to be very close to WP8. The "tiles" in BB10 screenshots aren't really an innovation, just a slightly different appearance of something that's already out there. They also haven't really done much to change the old "grid of apps" appearance of current smartphones. Basically all I see BB10 bringing to the table that's new is the swipe-gesture UI. I'm not saying that's such a bad thing, but I'm unsure right now whether it's going to be enough to revive their image. One thing I can be sure of is this - they (the planners) better hope and pray that the front line fellas responsible for designing and building the hardware and software of these phones don't F it up. Because if it launches buggy, there's going to be a media feeding frenzy.
    Geeoff likes this.
    04-26-12 07:50 AM

With competition heating up in the market place I don't see them not releasing a phone in 2012. Agree to disagree.
    04-26-12 08:00 AM
    With competition heating up in the market place I don't see them not releasing a phone in 2012. Agree to disagree.
    I'm probably wrong to be honest. Its just a gut feeling.

That is the beauty of Crackberry, we can disagree without a massive fight
    04-26-12 08:03 AM
    I'm probably wrong to be honest. Its just a gut feeling.

That is the beauty of Crackberry, we can disagree without a massive fight
    Keyword being "we"..

One more thing..that would mean Apple doesn't have an LTE iphone until 2013, while Android had some in th ebeginning of 2011.
    pantlesspenguin and Geeoff like this.
    04-26-12 08:06 AM
    Keyword being "we"..

One more thing..that would mean Apple doesn't have an LTE iphone until 2013, while Android had some in th ebeginning of 2011.
    True. But didn't apple say that was a chipset issue? Like RIM. I think they both said the chipset wouldn't be ready until late this year. Naturally that can change.

What the heck, i'll go with November 2012 and roll the dice.
    04-26-12 08:13 AM
    My guess is they're going to play a waiting game to see how wp8 and bb10 pan out and then attempt to trump what what people like about them.
    04-26-12 08:22 AM
    The new iPhone will def be released this year. Apple would love to hold the release till Q2 2013, but they simply can't. With WP8 phones, Galaxy S3, BB10, and a whole bunch of other high tech Androids around the corner they will fall behind staying with the current 4GS. The biggest factor the iPhone not being LTE.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    04-26-12 08:23 AM
    My guess is they're going to play a waiting game to see how wp8 and bb10 pan out and then attempt to trump what what people like about them.
    From what I understand developers will be given bb10 devices soon at devcon? I'll pretty much guarantee that Apple will get hold of one of these devices and "see what's up". Shame RIM can't do the same with the iphone5.
    04-26-12 08:27 AM
112 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD