View Poll Results: Should Blackberry Make a Landscape Slider Device with Physical qwerty Keyboard ? (select multiple)

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! I have always wanted Blackberry to make a Landscape Slider

30 33.71%
  • I have used a landscape slider and I loved it , I wish BlackBerry makes one too !

13 14.61%
  • I used a landscape slider from XYZ and wished it was better, Maybe BlackBerry can pull it off

4 4.49%
  • I never got a Landscape Slider because they seem flimsy, but i would get one made by BlackBerry

4 4.49%
  • Landscape Slider would offer a no compromise solution for me ! Large Screen and Full Keyboard !

17 19.10%
  • I have used a Torch, and the Keyboard is Cramped, Landscape keyboard sounds great !

4 4.49%
  • I will Prefer the L-Series or A-Series i do not care for the physical keyboards anymore

11 12.36%
  • i will Prefer the N-Series or M-Series, Physical keyboard is a must for me!

19 21.35%
  • Yes (Explain)

6 6.74%
  • No (Explain)

25 28.09%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    The Case for Making a Blackberry 10 Landscape Slider

We heard there will be 6 Blackberry Devices for the launch Blackberry 10,

Z10 - Full touch
    Q10 - Bold Style
    M-Series - Torch Style
    A- Series - Full touch (Aristo)
    Q5 - Curve Style
    S10 - Landscape Slider << this could be it (if its not the Playbook)

1.) BlackBerry 10 Operating System is developed from the ground up for touchscreen devices, and it makes great use of the large touchscreens and will really shine on the 1280x720 resolution devices.

2.) Almost all of the games, multimedia, navigation, and any graphically and content rich apps will be optimized for the full 1280x720 resolution (thats a VERY high percentage of apps). Only very few apps including the native email and social networking apps (mostly text based) will be properly usable on the smaller 720x720 screens, and even they will offer a better experience on the larger screen.

3.) All Playbook apps will be optimized for the larger screen.

4.) Even the Active Frames will be cut in half for the 720x720 screen devices.

5.) BlackBerry users will always want a high quality physical keyboard.

6.) People who opt for the N-Series will know that they are missing out on the expansive experience that the larger screen allows, but they will be more than willing to compromise and let go of the additional screen real estate if they can get their hands on a physical keyboard.

7.) A landscape qwerty keyboard would allow excellent size, placement, and spacing of individual keys. (just have a look at your laptop or desktop keyboards you will see they are much better suited to a wider layout)

8.) The leaked L-Series device pictures make it look extremely slim; adding a keyboard at the bottom would probably not make it too bulky to carry around.

9.) We could entertain the possibility of adding a trackpad or cursor keys to the slide out keyboard for quicker text editing, or even a GesturePad (I would somehow like to claim it as my intellectual property if someone didn’t come up with it first). The GesturePad would look similar to a traditional BlackBerry Optical Trackpad, but it would only register gestures and be used for navigating around the OS.

10.) There would be absolutely no compromise. You can have your full 1280x720 resolution and a full qwerty keyboard that is not cramped, on the contrary it has the potential to be a better keyboard than the traditional Bold Keyboard. In other words, you can have your cake and eat it too, and enjoy it at the same time because its better than the cake you are used to !!!!

There have been many attempts at the landscape slider before with innovative layouts and sliding mechanisms, I believe if anyone can pull it off with style, its BlackBerry with their Physical Keyboard Expertise, and their brand new OS.

There is room for real innovation here on the hardware side of things, Imagine something similar to these but with BlackBerry Keyboards and BlackBerry 10 Software ….
    Simple and Elegant
    Business Friendly
    Buttons Galore
    Last edited by Qaxl; 06-30-13 at 10:01 AM. Reason: updated Z10, and Q10 names, also added S10 as a possible Landscape Qwerty's name
    cuong205a likes this.
    11-04-12 05:22 AM
    The Torch style is just perfect.
    I won't change my Torch until the M series come out.
    Landscape phones don't look professional at all.
    11-04-12 08:07 AM
    There are certain advantages that a landscape keyboard has over the portrait, especially in case of two handed typing,
    Take the overall shape for example, the average keyboard has 4 rows and about 10 columns, this entails a wide design by default, and seems to be a natural choice to be tucked under a 16:9 screen in landscape mode.

Typing speed on a keyboard of this size would be much faster, and with less errors. Also it would be easier to go on a marathon typing spree because the keys would be larger and spaced apart, owing to a very comfortable typing experience.

The screen size on a landscape keyboard device can be as large as the touch only devices, whereas the screen on the torch style devices will always be smaller so that the phone does not get uncomfortably tall when the keyboard is extended.

In reply to above post ... there have been numerous landscape devices aimed at the business users, Nokia Communicator series comes to mind, granted they were not Sliders, instead they were Clam-shell form-factor, but they were landscape, and in their time they were seen as essentially business friendly devices.

Other companies have experimented with landscape keyboard designs, some have been hit and some miss, but none have been a runaway success. RIM makes a good case for Sliders with the Torch devices, but there are more ways that one to make a slider, it goes without saying that RIM makes the best physical keyboards, and their sliding mechanisms arent too shabby either ... i believe if RIM give landscape sliders a good shot, they could end up with the best device in this form-factor.
    el_excelsior likes this.
    11-06-12 01:58 AM
    I have to agree on some of the OP's points. landscape keyboard would make the device less awkward with the keyboard out and provide more room. As for RIM's quality on the slider mechanism, it seems rock solid to me. i have played with several sliders (never owned) and the Torch is the only one that didn't feel like it would fall apart if you looked at it wrong.

The main downsides with a landscape slider would be, poor one handed use and for on screen gestures the OS would have to adjust for the change of orientation.

Bring on BB10

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    Qaxl likes this.
    11-06-12 02:23 AM
    The main downsides with a landscape slider would be, poor one handed use and for on screen gestures the OS would have to adjust for the change of orientation.
    I think in today's world of modern smartphone OSes ( and BlackBerry 10 being the most modern of them all ), the core user experience should be equally fluid in any device orientation. Since many apps are designed for landscape use (read point #2 in first post), using the device in landscape mode will be inevitable and should come naturally. The switch from Portrait to Landscape and back should be Fast, Fluid, Seamless, and should have no impact on how the user interacts with the device (for example to go into the BlackBerry hub you should always have to swipe up and right no matter how you are holding the device). I am confident that RIM will manage to pull off a seamless experience for the user even when the OS is used in Landscape mode, especially since we know that they have to make BlackBerry 10 fit the Playbook within a few months after the first official release of the OS.

As for the one handed use issue, firstly this device will, in theory, have the same footprint as the flagship all touch device, and thus the one handed use experience will be similar to that of the flagship device. We know one handed use was one of the key focus points when designing the all new OS, so in "closed-mode" having the same screen size as the flagship device, one handed user experience will be as good as it gets.
    With the keyboard extended however, one handed typing will be near impossible, but at the same time two handed typing will be beyond the best experience offered by other form factors.
    11-07-12 06:37 AM
    I'm on the fence. I like the slider idea for the best of both worlds but not sure about either orientation since I haven't used either. I think I would have to use one for a bit to see.
    11-07-12 06:57 AM
    I won't change my Torch until the M series come out..
    I'm with you on that one. It's like BB designed that phone just for me.
    Can't wait to see the next generation. I don't know about a landscape version, never had occasion to try one, though I am curious.
    11-07-12 08:12 AM
    Everyone so my pantech matrix slider is messed up..wen i slide it up (landscape mode) it seems 2 be off track and wobbly.
    wen im txtin on the keyboard and holding my fone up, the left side just slides right back down on my thumb.
    Fencing Timber Supplies
    Last edited by Edwards0; 11-11-13 at 07:53 AM.
    11-08-12 09:41 PM
    I started with a droid landscape slider. But I prefer portrait after the Palm Pre and BB Bold 9650. Do I understand correctly that the rumored slider due next year will be portrait ?
    11-09-12 10:46 AM
    I tried a Samsung dumbphone landscape slider that was good to use. But difficult to use the kb with one hand. I now have the 9810 which I believe is the perfect fit for my hands.
    just_luc and anon(5602692) like this.
    11-09-12 11:11 AM
    ...And here i thought the Torch Crowd would be already on my side since they have used a Slider made by Blackberry and its good enough to allow RIM to venture into new waters
    11-11-12 06:06 AM
    I tried a Samsung dumbphone landscape slider that was good to use. But difficult to use the kb with one hand. I now have the 9810 which I believe is the perfect fit for my hands.
    Ofcourse Landscape Slider Keyboards are meant for two handed operation, but in closed mode you still get the onscreen keyboard and gestures that make BB10 a joy to use with one hand, so it will be atleast as good for one handed use as the flagship L-Series Phone.

Also since you have used a Blackberry Slider, and a Samsung Landscape Slider, I would like to ask, regardless of your preference for torch style, that if Blackberry made a Landscape Slider, do you think they could do a better Job than Sammy ?

Everyone so my pantech matrix slider is messed up..wen i slide it up (landscape mode) it seems 2 be off track and wobbly.
    wen im txtin on the keyboard and holding my fone up, the left side just slides right back down on my thumb.
    *Your Punishment Should Be More Severe*

I'm on the fence. I like the slider idea for the best of both worlds but not sure about either orientation since I haven't used either. I think I would have to use one for a bit to see.
    We have Cake on this side of the fence!
    11-11-12 06:17 AM
    I've been using the 9800 since release and I love the portrait slide. Even with the smaller keyboard, I'm still able to type with minimal errors even with one hand.

I understand your arguement for a landscape slider to provide for a larger screen, but you wouldn't be able to type with one hand. I also don't think RIM are planning to do landscape with BB10. But I coukd be wrong....
    just_luc likes this.
    11-11-12 06:18 AM
    I've been using the 9800 since release and I love the portrait slide. Even with the smaller keyboard, I'm still able to type with minimal errors even with one hand.

I understand your arguement for a landscape slider to provide for a larger screen, but you wouldn't be able to type with one hand. I also don't think RIM are planning to do landscape with BB10. But I coukd be wrong....
    I don't think RIM is planning on a Landscape Slider either

Don't you think with the one handed portrait use (with the larger screen ) you could still use the onscreen keyboard for input just like the L-Seies .... isnt that how everyone uses their current iPhone or SGS3 or any other touchscreen only phone ?

(and my argument goes further to say that a keyboard is naturally meant to be laid out in a very wide area, and that a landscape design would inherently make a better keyboard than what RIM is offering currently)
    Last edited by Qaxl; 11-11-12 at 06:46 AM. Reason: added the stuff in Brackets
    11-11-12 06:41 AM
    I didn't know so many people type one handed.
    Qaxl likes this.
    11-11-12 07:35 AM
    I didn't know so many people type one handed.
    I sure as heck dont. Hands are too big. I have to peck at keys so as to not mash buttons.

Landscape slider would help with that.
    Qaxl likes this.
    11-11-12 10:47 PM
    To me, the thought of a blackberry and a slider isn't right! Tried the Torch and just hated it. My old Bold 9000 was just perfect
    11-13-12 10:20 AM
    To me, the thought of a blackberry and a slider isn't right! Tried the Torch and just hated it. My old Bold 9000 was just perfect
    You do realize that with BB10, the software is Optimized for the larger screen size, and most apps will also be better with the larger screen. The smaller screen on Bold-like devices will be fully supported, yet they will offer a slightly compromised experience.

For the full BB10 experience with the new OS and the new Apps, the full 1280x720 res will be all but essential. Im just trying to tell people that it is possible to combine that with a keyboard that could potentially be even better than the legendary Bold 9900 keyboard.
    11-13-12 10:45 AM
    I won't change my Torch until the M series come out.
    Landscape phones don't look professional at all.
    All of us are used to the BB keyboard. I think this form factor discussed could be good for new converts. But too mnay of us need the M
    el_excelsior and just_luc like this.
    11-18-12 02:32 PM
    I want a landscape slider with the nice big keyboard. Because they already developed a bluetooth keyboard for the playbook, the slider keyboard could also work without a data cable. The next thing I want it to do is rotate so that you get portrait mode with that same big keyboard. Holding the phone it would look like an upside down T when in this mode. Without the data cable you just need you a clever mechanical slider/twister mechanism with power connectors.
    11-18-12 03:30 PM
    RIM should not disappoint the " N " device users. we still like a big screen so a 3.5 inch N- series is do able and would be a real hit !
    Do it RIM N- Series with a 3.5 inch real estate Qwerky keyboard dream phone !!
    el_excelsior likes this.
    11-18-12 07:26 PM
    I want a landscape slider with the nice big keyboard. Because they already developed a bluetooth keyboard for the playbook, the slider keyboard could also work without a data cable. The next thing I want it to do is rotate so that you get portrait mode with that same big keyboard. Holding the phone it would look like an upside down T when in this mode. Without the data cable you just need you a clever mechanical slider/twister mechanism with power connectors.
    And as the phone has hdmi out I also want to detach the keyboard and use it as a remote when the phones one is displaying presentations
    11-18-12 08:08 PM
    RIM need to recapture some market share to survive. One way would be to extend outside the narrow keyboard concept to attract new users and a landscape slider would do that. The most usable phone i ever had was an HTC landscape slider but back then it was a styus and ... yuk ... windows mobile. A blackberry OS, touchscreen, landscape slider would be awesome. I'll be going andriod if i have to get a LSS but i'd rather stay loyal to BB.
    11-25-12 08:19 PM
    Also since you have used a Blackberry Slider, and a Samsung Landscape Slider, I would like to ask, regardless of your preference for torch style, that if Blackberry made a Landscape Slider, do you think they could do a better Job than Sammy ?
    You know, your idea of a landscape slider just grew on me. The screen estate should be just a tad smaller than the L series though (about 3.9 inches or thereabouts). That way, we have the full touch experience and when you want to hammer out emails, you slide out the kb and begin. And with RIM's intuitive on-screen kb they could top the slider phone market.
    11-30-12 04:45 PM
    Meh. I would have to see it - first.
    el_excelsior likes this.
    11-30-12 11:32 PM
34 12