Hi All,

I sent the Dev Alpha back to Warehouse using UPS and I did a security wipe before sending the device back. The last message on the screen was "Screen showing connect to computer icon". Since I was in a hurry to send it back and get my hands on the LE device (and the fact that I was already at UPS location) I just back the device as is.

How will the warehouse team get the PIN for my device ? Does the barcode bulilt into the device show the barcode ? Or does the team at warehouse location log into each device to check the PIN (dont think so, imagine doing it for 000's of devices) .

thanks guys!!!
    03-12-13 08:36 PM
    I'm sure they have an app that shows hardware information via USB.

During BBJam Americas in San Jose, they had a laptop available for loading the updated OS. If I remember correctly, they had a utility on there to read device information when the Dev Alpha was first connected (before loading the OS). It shouldn't take much for the top plug in a USB cable, read the SN/PIN/MEID or whatever information they need to identify the owner.
    Amit Pant likes this.
    03-12-13 08:49 PM
    Thanks Xopher. Makes sense but then what does the barcode show if scanned
    03-12-13 08:52 PM
    Isn't the PIN on the box?
    03-12-13 09:21 PM
    Don't worry. I did the same. Sent it back and got a recieved confirmation with no problems. The PIN is on the box and also on the sticker that was on the phone (never bothered removing it). They'll be able to get all the info from the device if they need to.

Just send the device in and wait for your new Red Ferrari, uh..I mean Red LE BB10.
    03-12-13 09:54 PM
    I always wondered about the barcode on the device, although I never tried scanning it. It looked the same on every device I had seen. There wasn't anything else on the device itself that seemed to give any identifiable information either (and I couldn't find my box to send in). I'm still guessing they hook it up to something, since I wiped mine before sending it in, and I got the delivery confirmation email a few weeks later.
    Amit Pant likes this.
    03-12-13 10:08 PM
    Probably when scanned it shows as a "Dev Alpha" device.
    I would think. Kinda like a cashier scans items at a checkout line while buying groceries.
    03-12-13 11:02 PM
    The bar code is the serial number of the alpha.

Posted via CB10
    03-13-13 02:04 AM
    thanks Andrew4life, just did not understand the line "also on the sticker that was on the phone" is this the sticker with BB logo or the one just below it saying property of RIM... never removed the sticker on mine and never did bother to think that it could be hiding the pin
    03-13-13 04:40 AM
    Thanks Xopher, waiting for confirmation is hard and thus questions like this one keep popping in my head, guess these will be there until the day I have the ferrari red z10 to play with
    03-13-13 04:42 AM
    Hi Amit,

I am in the exact same situation. I wiped my phone just before packing it up, it had the connect to computer icon and that was it.

I shipped mine on Feb 1 and it was received(according to UPS) on Feb 5.

When I shipped mine using the shipping label received the tracking number from the shipping label was not used, I was given a different tracking number for some reason. Correction, I received a second shipping label for some reason, I never noticed this before but the first one is the one I used, UPS did use the tracking number from this label.

I still have not received a confirmation from the warehouse that it has been received.

The bar code should be all that matters though, it is what they scanned when it was issued so all they should have to do is scan it again to know who it was issued to....I hope.
    Last edited by A7omic; 03-13-13 at 08:29 AM.
    03-13-13 07:59 AM
    I did the same thing, wiped and left it with the "connect to USB" screen.
    No problems, got my received confirmation e-mail already.
    03-13-13 08:14 AM
    The barcode on the front of the Alpha A is actually the IMEI, which is tied to the PIN in BlackBerry's systems. That being said, they probably read it via USB if they're checking at all.
    wxmancanada likes this.
    03-13-13 08:24 PM