Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By peter9477
  • 1 Post By Xopher
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Question (Will there be a) Trade-Up Program for the Dev Alpha C device?

I was reading the License Agreement of the Dev Alpha C device and software here (you have to be logged in to see it) and saw this:

"Upon the expiration or termination of the Test Period, You will immediately discontinue all use of the Alpha Product and return the Alpha Product in accordance instructions provided by BlackBerry. Title to the Alpha Hardware remains at all times with BlackBerry."

If the Dev Alpha C has to be returned after the testing period, this could mean that there will be no Limited Edition Trade-Up Program for the Dev Alpha C, which would be a pity. A Limited Edition Q10 would be sweet, right?!

Is there anyone out there who knows more about this?
    Phone BlackBerry Z10 Ferrari Red Limited Edition & BlackBerry Q10 White & BlackBerry Z30 Black #00284
    CrackBerry Genius

The privilege with the dev alpha c program is getting one of those in the first place as it is more restrictive than the previous ones, so it is would be no surprise if they do not do anything like the LE for it.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by Skeevecr View Post
    The privilege with the dev alpha c program is getting one of those in the first place as it is more restrictive than the previous ones, so it is would be no surprise if they do not do anything like the LE for it.
    It would be a good thing if they would let you keep it. What would BlackBerry do with them if they are returned? Better of letting the developers keep them so they can test their apps with.
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Quote Originally Posted by Skeevecr View Post
    Very true! I feel lucky AND thankful to receive it since I also received the Dev Alpha B last year. Just wondering if they will, but indeed, it will be no surprise if they don't.
    Phone BlackBerry Z10 Ferrari Red Limited Edition & BlackBerry Q10 White & BlackBerry Z30 Black #00284
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Quote Originally Posted by Mister-E View Post
    It would be a good thing if they would let you keep it. What would BlackBerry do with them if they are returned? Better of letting the developers keep them so they can test their apps with.
    I think if they let you keep it, they won't let you run the official OS on it as it isn't an official device. The License Agreement also has a lot of confidentiality stuff in it, but I guess that's just a formality since they showed off the device publicly.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,754 Global Posts

Default (Will there be a) Trade-Up Program for the Dev Alpha C device?

They've already said that they will be releasing full BB10 for the dev alpha a and b. I would assume they'll eventually do the same for the C.

As for a trade in program...I have to assume that it depends on how many apps they're going to have for the Q10 launch. If the number is looking low, they'll probably have some incentives.
    Go get some apps!
    DocuShortcut - Free homescreen shortcuts(Built For BlackBerry)
    Symptom Journal - Track medical symptoms and causes (Built For BlackBerry)
    SkinEd for Minecraft - Create and share Minecraft skins
    CrackBerry Abuser

There won't be a trade-up program until one is announced.

Seriously, dev relations wouldn't say a thing about the possibility of trading up.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    5,218 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mikeo007 View Post
    They've already said that they will be releasing full BB10 for the dev alpha a and b. I would assume they'll eventually do the same for the C.
    No, actually they have not. Unless you've got a link that shows I'm wrong.

Also, the A for sure will not be supported, since it has different enough hardware that continuing to provide support for it would be a ridiculous waste of their resources.

Expect both devices to be bricked, eventually, just as they always said they would.
    Battery Guru for BB10 tracks voltage, power, battery health. (Also on the PlayBook.) White Noise helps you sleep or concentrate.
    Follow us on Twitter or Facebook or visit Engenuity's mobile apps page.
    araskin likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,754 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by peter9477 View Post
    No, actually they have not. Unless you've got a link that shows I'm wrong.

Also, the A for sure will not be supported, since it has different enough hardware that continuing to provide support for it would be a ridiculous waste of their resources.

Expect both devices to be bricked, eventually, just as they always said they would.
    There was a front page post about it a while ago, before the launch.
    All I could find with a quick search was this: http://crackberry.com/leaked-blackbe...-alpha-devices

Not official, but it's definitely a full version of BB10 for the dev alpha. So it exists.
    Go get some apps!

Global Posts
    5,218 Global Posts

Not official, but it's definitely a full version of BB10 for the dev alpha. So it exists.
    Ah that. Yes, it exists. It was not a deliberate release, as far as we know. It also doesn't work well, at least on some devices. In fact I've heard from no one with it who has reported that it works even nearly as well as the same thing on the real phones. Many or most apps are broken in various ways, from what I've been told.

Anyway, if that's what it was, then it's definitely not correct to say that "They've already said that they will be releasing full BB10 for the dev alpha a and b." This was a leak, and there's no official word on it as far as I know.
    Battery Guru for BB10 tracks voltage, power, battery health. (Also on the PlayBook.) White Noise helps you sleep or concentrate.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,754 Global Posts

Ah that. Yes, it exists. It was not a deliberate release, as far as we know. It also doesn't work well, at least on some devices. In fact I've heard from no one with it who has reported that it works even nearly as well as the same thing on the real phones. Many or most apps are broken in various ways, from what I've been told.

Anyway, if that's what it was, then it's definitely not correct to say that "They've already said that they will be releasing full BB10 for the dev alpha a and b." This was a leak, and there's no official word on it as far as I know.
    No, you'll need to re-read what I stated. There was another front page posting about RIM (before the 30th) announcing that they would update dev alphas to full BB10 down the road.

I just posted the only thing I found after a quick search. I'll attempt to find the post or some record of it.
    Go get some apps!
    CrackBerry User

There is no reason to update the dev alphas to full os10 - the biggest limitation on these is the lack of sufficient ram, which is a hardware problem and not something you can fix yourself. The 1gb ram is barely enough to keep two browser tabs open.

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10

Global Posts
    5,875 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B6927F7

Just an FYI, that leaked OS actually runs very well on a Dev A. Obviously, it's slower compared to the release Z10 and there's a little hanging/crashing that I'd attribute to the lower RAM as much as anything else. It's surprisingly good, actually.

No, you'll need to re-read what I stated. There was another front page posting about RIM (before the 30th) announcing that they would update dev alphas to full BB10 down the road.

I just posted the only thing I found after a quick search. I'll attempt to find the post or some record of it.
    So far as I'm aware (and having a Dev Alpha, trust me, I've been watching) there has been no word whatsoever from BB to indicate that full BB10 would be available. The most they said they'd do was enable Hub and Phone functions, which they did on the 30th. That was NOT a "full release". Docs to Go wasn't there, Remember wasn't there, Story Maker wasn't there, and a whole slew of features were still omitted.

"Max Power doesn't 'cuddle'! You strap yourself in and feel the Gs!"
    Thanked by:
    peter9477 (02-10-2013) 

Global Posts
    5,218 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbuck View Post
    Just an FYI, that leaked OS actually runs very well on a Dev A. Obviously, it's slower compared to the release Z10 and there's a little hanging/crashing that I'd attribute to the lower RAM as much as anything else. It's surprisingly good, actually.
    I guess it may be inconsistent, as others have told me numerous things barely launch (like Twitter/FB apps, and many others).

The fact it can work is great for anyone for whom it actually does though! :-)

Given that some BB employees are stuck with the DAs and 1GB phones for the next while, I could see them keeping the firmware alive on it for a few months yet actually.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,723 Global Posts
    PIN
    BBM & Kik (ask)

Default Re: (Will there be a) Trade-Up Program for the Dev Alpha C device?

Just a side note - all of the Dev Alpha devices had the same agreement. To get the Dev Alpha A, B, or C, you agree to return it at the end of the testing period. It has nothing to do with upgrading to the limited edition model.
    RuneCryption - Unique memory game for PlayBook & BB10, now "Built for BlackBerry".
    Thanked by:
    H4zN (02-13-2013) 
    peter9477 likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    494 Global Posts

Hmm, I'm running the leaked OS on (loaned by friend) Dev Alpha B (since I'm not a developer I can experiment ) . Works perfect, all apps are working as far as I can see I had only one problem with Twitter account when network was not available, device simply started to lag.
    Thanked by:
    peter9477 (02-13-2013) 
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,347 Global Posts

I had Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, a browser and a game open at some point on my Dev Alpha B.

I have yet to experience the first crash. Heck, the FaceBook app for iOS crashes daily on me. Nothing yet on my Dev Alpha B.
    Thanked by:
    H4zN (02-13-2013) 

Global Posts
    10,412 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me.

To answer the original question, I believe that the original Dev Alphas have similar clauses.

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    Thanked by:
    H4zN (02-14-2013) 
    CrackBerry User

My Dev Alpha c was bricked on reboot today. Says Dev Alpha Program is over! How can I salvage my photos ?

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Newbie

You don't need to return your Dev Alpha C:
    https://developer.blackberry.com/dev...alpha_faq.html

16. When will my Dev Alpha device be disabled?
    If you've updated to the 10.1 SDK OS build, your device will continue to work beyond the June 30th date, with no imposed expiry date embedded in the OS.

The BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha A hardware will continue to be officially unsupported and the BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha B hardware will join those same ranks on June 30th, but if you want to continue to developing apps against those devices beyond that date, you're welcome to do so.