Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By edyb
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Will there be a Dev Alpha D?

Anyone know something about torch-like device with BB10?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by mgorcik View Post
    Anyone know something about torch-like device with BB10?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    No idea, but is possible
    Duantox Apps
    Leandro Cerdan (Head developer)
    BlackBerry Elite Dev
    TapyHold, BB10 Built for Blackberry multimedia scrapbook app developer
    Duantox Twitter: https://twitter.com/duantox
    Tapyhold Twitter: https://twitter.com/tapyhold
    Email: info at duantox dot com
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    PIN
    5011QNX6

yep, it's called Dev Alpha Ш
    CrackBerry Abuser

I don't think it is going to happen. Correct me if I am wrong, but the Torch keyboard is inferior to the keyboard that you would find on the Bold, and the virtual keyboard on the Z10 is so good that it probably would make it a better typing experience over the Torch. Factor also mechanical issues inherent in sliders, and the extra development costs and OS work, it is not appealing for BlackBerry to produce such a device.
    CrackBerry Genius

Well, slide based device will probably just have the 1280x720 resolution of the full touch. Not sure if they'll need a dev alpha for that. Think the dev alpha program has run its course once Q10's also released.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    794 Global Posts

Default Will there be a Dev Alpha D?

I think Blackberry or an OEM will just make a CASE mod that has a bluetooth keyboard/trackpad (similar to the Blackberry keyboard for Playbook) that straps on to a Z10 and "slides" or "flips" out.

No need for a dedicated device. That's how Blackberry wound up in the chaotic number of devices mess from before.

Keep it simple, crank out as many Z10 as possible and lower production costs due to volume, and let someone make a keyboard case for it, maybe with an extra battery for charging too.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    37 Global Posts

They could, possibly one with the standard touch resolution 1280 x 720, as the Dev alpha, Dev Alpha B, and the Z10 all have 1280 x 768 displays. So for developers to test there apps on the different screen resolution, they could do this. But that would be the only reason.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    2A2400C6

I don't really think so

Posted via CB10
    Visit my blog www.hektor.in
    My Github www.github.com/hektorcyc
    Web and mobile developer.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,019 Global Posts
    PIN
    2BAFC92E

There really doesn't need to be a Dev Alpha D
    BlackBerry 10- The most disruptive innovation in mobile technology since the BlackBerry Smartphone
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,018 Global Posts

As much as I'm dreaming of a portrait slider I dont see there being a Dev Alpha D device if one does come
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,019 Global Posts
    PIN
    2BAFC92E

Quote Originally Posted by dcbo89 View Post
    As much as I'm dreaming of a portrait slider I dont see there being a Dev Alpha D device if one does come
    The portrait slider would have a screen resolution of 1280x720, BlackBerry already explained that since the BlackBerry Codename London (Z10) was too far in development, they had to stick with the 1280x768 and for now it's going to be their only variation on the full touchscreen front.
    BlackBerry 10- The most disruptive innovation in mobile technology since the BlackBerry Smartphone
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,104 Global Posts

I'm a convert from a Torch to a z10. To me it was all out physical keyboard and bigger screen. For me the bigger screen won out with the z10 since the touchscreen keyboard is so much better than a regular touchscreen keyboard. And I think it'll be the same for the q10.. if a physical keyboard floats your boat then you'll gravitate towards the q10 (it also has a bigger screen than the regular Bold). I honestly don't believe a Torch type device is required. Also, if BB spreads itself out too thin then the potentional for quality and software bugs increases. I think BB is doing the right thing sticking to these 2 devices.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,874 Global Posts

Why would there need to be a Dev Alpha D?
    Check out my app: CChecker

Global Posts
    6,196 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B6927F7

Quote Originally Posted by lynxs_claw View Post
    I'm a convert from a Torch to a z10. To me it was all out physical keyboard and bigger screen. For me the bigger screen won out with the z10 since the touchscreen keyboard is so much better than a regular touchscreen keyboard. And I think it'll be the same for the q10.. if a physical keyboard floats your boat then you'll gravitate towards the q10 (it also has a bigger screen than the regular Bold). I honestly don't believe a Torch type device is required. Also, if BB spreads itself out too thin then the potentional for quality and software bugs increases. I think BB is doing the right thing sticking to these 2 devices.
    Ever since BB made the new keyboard active on the Dev Alpha's last fall, I've felt that the need for a slider shrunk considerably. Sliders are for users who refuse to compromise between a physical keyboard and a full-screen. That market made a lot of sense when there was such a wide gap in productivity between physical and virtual keyboards, but the BB10 kb really narrows that gap to the point where a lot of users are more prepared to make that compromise.
    “Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

--Mark Twain
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,286 Global Posts

Only reason the made the Dev Alpha C was to get people to port their apps over with the new screen resolution.. they have no reason to have any more dev alphas in the future unless they change their screen resolution, which does not seem to be happening any time in the near future.. no reason to, this PPI is great, anything more is pretty much just overkill.. anyone who says they can notice between 768/720 to 1080 on this small of a screen is just lying.

If they do make a torch, they WILL make it 1280x768/1280x720/720x720 resolution.. getting apps to two/threw different resolutions is demanding enough. Any more than that, and BlackBerry would just be shooting themselves in the foot.. they can't afford any more fragmentation.

No more dev alphas, sorry man!

Posted via CB10
    Hi, I'm Alex Bass - Website Designer, App Developer & Owner of CyberBytes Inc.
    I made the BFB Certified App Web Design Cheat Sheet using Native Cascades. The App is Free - More Info About WDCS
    ___

Web Design/Development Channel - C000BEB17 | WDCS App Channel - C000BEB17 (Sneak Peeks, Leaks, and More)
    Personal Twitter - @Flip4Bytes | Company Twitter - @CyberBytesInc