At the very first BlackBerry 10 Jam event in Orlando, Florida and now across the world at Jam Tour events, developers have been given a BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha device. By utilizing this prototype device, developers can already begin building applications for the BlackBerry 10 platform. However, the Dev Alpha has a short lifespan.

We�ve confirmed that upon BlackBerry 10 going official, your Dev Alpha will automatically brick itself. Therefore, rending the Dev Alpha no longer useable. However, RIM has a nice little trade off planned for the device, that is IF you had an app accepted into App World for BlackBerry 10.

Remember the �BlackBerry London� we saw (and thought) as would be the first BlackBerry 10 device? Turns out the London is a few revisions behind what will be the official BlackBerry 10 device. RIM then intends to give out the BlackBerry London as a special edition keepsake BlackBerry 10 WORKING PHONE to those developers who return the Dev Alphas back to RIM.

How cool will that be? Not only can you say you got to play with the first BlackBerry 10 prototype, you�ll be given a more advance version that will actually work as a phone! I think it is a pretty cool trade-off, since the London will actually work as a phone. Whereas, the Dev Alpha isn�t even giving you access to the microphone so you couldn�t even make regular phone calls or video chat (at least not with audio). Are you excited to get the London in exchange for your Dev Alpha?

Source : n4bb.com

what do we think of this?
    btw the mic is working on my dev alpha device, ( @ the moment you can't call with it only with bluetooth incoming calls, but maybe on the update wich roll out soon it is possible, but the offer is also very nice to get a blackberry london
    06-22-12 06:35 AM
    A mass celebration for a few days then ask when the new OS update will arrive.
    06-22-12 07:01 AM
    A mass celebration for a few days then ask when the new OS update will arrive.
    Won't ask, someone will say they know someone who knows someone's dog who knows someone who works for RIM and there is an update coming.
    Blacklatino likes this.
    06-22-12 07:24 AM
    Won't ask, someone will say they know someone who knows someone's dog who knows someone who works for RIM and there is an update coming.
    Hehe sounds about right.
    06-22-12 07:36 AM
    Does anyone know if this is for all dev alphas or just the ones handed out in Orlando.
    06-22-12 08:15 AM
    All the "experts" and bloggers will find every minute problem and emphasizing only on those so they can declare it too little too late, a failure.

You all know they will even if they are wrong.
    06-22-12 09:02 AM
    Does anyone know if this is for all dev alphas or just the ones handed out in Orlando.
    If you received a Dev Alpha device (BB Jam Orlando or World Tour) and submit an app that get's approved and into App World, you qualify for the 'limited edition' BB10 device.
    06-22-12 11:40 AM
    So let me get this right if u make an app and it gets accepted then you can trade it in for another prototype. It won't be the actual final version?? I don't get it why not just give devs a final bb10?? They could help to spread the word
    06-22-12 12:56 PM
    I thought you get a bb10 real phone.
    06-22-12 12:58 PM
    You get a limited edition fully operationa BB10 device only available to develop with a Dev Alpha and app in App World
    06-22-12 02:24 PM
    So let me get this right if u make an app and it gets accepted then you can trade it in for another prototype. It won't be the actual final version?? I don't get it why not just give devs a final bb10??
    Anyone will be able to go buy a final bb10 phone. Very few people will have what they are giving developers. I honestly would rather keep my Dev Alpha and it get final bb10 software than trade it in for a boring run of the mill final bb10 device. I am really happy they are doing this limited edition device. The Dev alpha is rare and unique. It's less common than the porsche. What we trade them in for should be exclusive also.
    06-22-12 02:40 PM
    So let me get this right if u make an app and it gets accepted then you can trade it in for another prototype. It won't be the actual final version?? I don't get it why not just give devs a final bb10?? They could help to spread the word
    Because they need to sell the final BB10 devices and make money off them and not give them away for free.

After searching through some of the files on the Dev Alpha, you will find a list Model Numbers, which include a name and a hardware ID.

# R061 – Colt 0�04002307,1
    # R072 – London 0�04002607,1
    # R073 – Blackforest 0�04002706,1

You can see, these three have very similar starting hardware numbers 0x04002XXX,X.

Therefore, if you look at it sequentially; it makes sense. Colt being the Dev Alpha, London being the next revision, and the BlackForest potentially being the final hardware.

RIM used the Colt for initial testing of BB10, then seeded it to developers. You can only assume that the London was also used for testing, potentially internally or maybe even by certain partners. You can then conclude that the London could be the device that will replace the Colt for qualified developers.

These are just my thoughts and conclusions, and not anyone else's.
    Last edited by SurrealCivic; 06-22-12 at 04:03 PM.
    06-22-12 03:48 PM
    I thought you get a bb10 real phone.
    You do get a real bb10 phone. Just not the retail version. Hence it being a 'limited edition' device.
    06-22-12 03:52 PM
    If you received a Dev Alpha device (BB Jam Orlando or World Tour) and submit an app that get's approved and into App World, you qualify for the 'limited edition' BB10 device.
    Nice I actually did receive my dev alpha yesterday at BlackBerry 10 Jam Toronto
    06-22-12 04:09 PM
    Source : n4bb.com

what do we think of this?
    btw the mic is working on my dev alpha device, ( @ the moment you can't call with it only with bluetooth incoming calls, but maybe on the update wich roll out soon it is possible, but the offer is also very nice to get a blackberry london
    Does this mean there is an update coming to the 2.1 beta?
    06-22-12 04:15 PM
    Does this mean there is an update coming to the 2.1 beta?
    What you quoted doesn't mean there's an update coming to the beta.

There will of course be an "update" to the beta for 2.1, and it will be called... 2.1 (final).

There will also be updates to the Dev Alpha, one coming "soon", and several more over the summer.
    06-22-12 11:31 PM
    Okey, I have a question. What will be difference between London & Blackforest? It will be only design or something more?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    06-23-12 03:57 AM
    Any link to an official source that can confirm this?
    06-23-12 08:16 AM
    What you quoted doesn't mean there's an update coming to the beta.

There will of course be an "update" to the beta for 2.1, and it will be called... 2.1 (final).

There will also be updates to the Dev Alpha, one coming "soon", and several more over the summer.
    No there will not be an update to 2.1 beta of final even now is what is on our dev device that is the blackberry 10 kernel allready, we will see in the near future a feature full update to bb 10 with the new interface en bbm included so we get rid of the playbook look,

Alec Saunders confirmed yesterdat dat the trade for dev alpha ( a last time : people who have a dev device and make an app and get approved for the app world they must return there Dev device and the wil get a LIMITED edition blackberry 10 device not a prototype but a limited edition and that phone will never ga for sale)
    and that deal is world wide

edit
    the proof:
    Last edited by ossasosa; 06-23-12 at 08:49 AM.
    jerryeight and CrackOp like this.
    06-23-12 08:44 AM
    Any link to an official source that can confirm this?
    Obviously RIM is not going to confirm any internal non-public information. As I mentioned in my post, it is my conclusion that these three devices (Colt, London, Blackforest) are related due to their sequential hardware IDs.
    06-23-12 04:20 PM
    No there will not be an update to 2.1 beta of final even now is ...
    I'm afraid you've misunderstood what I wrote, but I have a hard time understanding what you've written so it's hard to say where the confusion lies.

The fact is, I didn't say that 2.1 will be on the Dev Alpha. I was talking about two different things there.

There will be a final version of 2.1 released for the PlayBook. That's the "update" which I said would come to follow the 2.1 beta that we have now.

There also will be updates to the Dev Alpha, but those have nothing to do with OS 2.1 which is for the PlayBook.

Any dispute with those statements? They're the same thing I tried to say before.
    06-24-12 01:58 PM
    I'm afraid you've misunderstood what I wrote, but I have a hard time understanding what you've written so it's hard to say where the confusion lies.

The fact is, I didn't say that 2.1 will be on the Dev Alpha. I was talking about two different things there.

There will be a final version of 2.1 released for the PlayBook. That's the "update" which I said would come to follow the 2.1 beta that we have now.

There also will be updates to the Dev Alpha, but those have nothing to do with OS 2.1 which is for the PlayBook.

Any dispute with those statements? They're the same thing I tried to say before.

you're absolutly right playbook will get a final version of os 2.1 and in october/november it will also get blackberry 10

dev alpha is allready running blackberry 10, update is coming soon voor dev alpha

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    06-24-12 02:14 PM
    There will be a huge BANG and the whole world will be suffused with a surreal golden glow.

All iPhones and Android devices will rot and turn to green slime. These will be replaced by angels carrying BB10 devices. All fanbois and gurls will immediately see the error of their ways and will fall to their knees begging forgiveness.

BlackBerry users the world over will be hailed as saviours and all other cell phone users will hail them as prophets.

The new BB10 devices will be all things to all women and men.

MacDonalds will announce the BangBurger10 and the Catholic Church will consecrate St. Kevin the patron saint of CrackBerry.

Well, it could happen.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-24-12 02:19 PM
    If BB10 launches on let's say November 1st will there be lines of people all over waiting on the new device like the mindless people who line up for days for apple?
    06-24-12 02:41 PM
    If BB10 launches on let's say November 1st will there be lines of people all over waiting on the new device like the mindless people who line up for days for apple?
    Only if a bunch of iphone users plan on switching or the total geeks needing their newest now.
    06-24-12 02:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD