Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 35
Like Tree3Likes
  1. mcne2001's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    13 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default Using Dev Alpha on a daily basis?

    Just wondering if someone is using the DEV device on a daily basis.
    I wish I could do so, but the fact that you have no emails / phone application is a showstopper for me.
    It would be so great if RIM releases the internal OS build to the community.

    cheers, mcne2001
  2. Sith_Apprentice's Avatar

    Posts
    10,105 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,107 Global Posts
    PIN
    Changes way too often
    #2  

    Default

    I sideloaded an android Email app and it worked just fine. I didnt use the phone, as I have another device so prior to using the Dev B i forwarded all calls to my second device.
    ~S_A
  3. BBThemes's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    5,369 Posts
    #3  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Apprentice View Post
    I sideloaded an android Email app and it worked just fine. I didnt use the phone, as I have another device so prior to using the Dev B i forwarded all calls to my second device.
    same, i used K9 email, worked rather well too

    Thorsten said ZED 10. deal with it
    My Apps in BlackBerry World
    My Platinum 9900


    For all my themes - BBThemes.co.uk and follow me on @BBThemes1
  4. afhstingray's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    471 Posts
    Global Posts
    472 Global Posts
    #4  

    Default

    it works fine as a phone, battery life not amazing though. i think the chances of RIM releasing the internal builds to the general public are pretty slim if they really do intend to recall/brick the devices. im guessing the real reason why they want to limit this is so some devs dont end up trying to make money off selling the devices instead of using them for development
  5. peter9477's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    5,216 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,218 Global Posts
    #5  

    Default

    I use mine daily for all sorts of things though obviously not as a phone (since I have only the same build as most others here).

    They'll be bricking them partly because they can't afford to support them. The Dev Alpha A, for example, has no flash that can properly work with the camera, and we're already falling behind by a build (or so I heard today). There's no real value in RIM leaving these out there, especially since devs will be trading up to real devices anyway.
    Battery Guru for BB10 tracks voltage, power, battery health. (Also on the PlayBook.) White Noise helps you sleep or concentrate.
    Follow us on Twitter or Facebook or visit Engenuity's mobile apps page.
    Sith_Apprentice likes this.
  6. Sith_Apprentice's Avatar

    Posts
    10,105 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,107 Global Posts
    PIN
    Changes way too often
    #6  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by peter9477 View Post
    I use mine daily for all sorts of things though obviously not as a phone (since I have only the same build as most others here).

    They'll be bricking them partly because they can't afford to support them. The Dev Alpha A, for example, has no flash that can properly work with the camera, and we're already falling behind by a build (or so I heard today). There's no real value in RIM leaving these out there, especially since devs will be trading up to real devices anyway.
    The Dev B builds can work just fine on the Dev A, but the A is hardware wise, several revisions behind the others. As BB10 gets more and more added to it, you will see the slowness in this device.
    ~S_A
  7. Concession's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    226 Posts
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    #7  

    Default

    I've been using it fairly often. I've never owned a BlackBerry phone but I added people to BBM and I've taken a liking to it.
  8. Flip4Bytes's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,268 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,276 Global Posts
    #8  

    Default

    I actually carry both my Bold 9930 and Dev Alpha B around with me everywhere.. The browser alone on the dev alpha makes it worthwhile (of course in addition to using BBM and the awesome keyboard). I just replaced carrying that around over dragging my PlayBook around everywhere.

    Oh.. And Its nice being about to mess around with the camera and show people BB10 to completely convert their image of BlackBerry, that's always nice. For that reason alone, its worth dragging two phones around everywhere with me.. Already converted two of my friends over from iPhone and Android, they are completely sold on buying BB10, and they actually went out and threw $1,000 at the RIMM stock aswell. I guess the dev alpha is more powerful than just selling the device, it actually makes people wanna invest in RIM :P
    Hi, I'm Alex Bass - Website Designer, App Developer & Owner of CyberBytes Inc.
    I made the BFB Certified App Web Design Cheat Sheet using Native Cascades. The App is Free - More Info About WDCS
    ___

    Web Design/Development Channel - C000BEB17 | WDCS App Channel - C000BEB17 (Sneak Peeks, Leaks, and More)
    Personal Twitter - @Flip4Bytes | Company Twitter - @CyberBytesInc
    peter9477 likes this.
  9. afhstingray's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    471 Posts
    Global Posts
    472 Global Posts
    #9  

    Default

    i've started trying to use it as my main phone now,the batt life improved considerably but still not great (4 hours of medium-heavy use its down to 40%)when i updated to the latest internal OS which we got yesterday. there are still some quirks, the proximity sensor is a bit quirky, turning the screen on once in a while during calls resulting in numbers getting pressed. if you dont have a data connection active its very sluggish if multiple apps are open, whilst they all check for data and then all report no data active. the peek feature is not as user friendly as i thought it would be before i got this version
  10. revtech's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    575 Posts
    Global Posts
    929 Global Posts
    #10  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by afhstingray View Post
    i've started trying to use it as my main phone now,the batt life improved considerably but still not great (4 hours of medium-heavy use its down to 40%)when i updated to the latest internal OS which we got yesterday. there are still some quirks, the proximity sensor is a bit quirky, turning the screen on once in a while during calls resulting in numbers getting pressed. if you dont have a data connection active its very sluggish if multiple apps are open, whilst they all check for data and then all report no data active. the peek feature is not as user friendly as i thought it would be before i got this version
    Ugh . . That's sad to hear :/
  11. Sith_Apprentice's Avatar

    Posts
    10,105 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,107 Global Posts
    PIN
    Changes way too often
    #11  

    Default

    I have heard of none of these issues listed. I would do a full wipe and reload on that, also dont load any Android apps on yet. Battery life should be far better than 7 hours.
    ~S_A
  12. peter9477's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    5,216 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,218 Global Posts
    #12  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by afhstingray View Post
    i've started trying to use it as my main phone now,the batt life improved considerably but still not great (4 hours of medium-heavy use its down to 40%)
    Don't judge battery life by what you see on the battery level indicator (the % thing). It's not always even close to accurate on the Dev Alpha. Many people have seen it claim 40% and then suddenly shut off, and when they restart it on the charger it's clear it was empty. On the flip side, others have seen it get stuck at 67% and such, never going higher.

    If you want to give it a kick in the head, drain it fully, till it shuts off. Then charge it fully, which would take something close to 3h I believe (haven't done a test of this lately). This is the same sort of thing you have to do in rare cases on the PlayBook but it's needed far more often on the Dev Alphas (maybe especially the A but I have no B with which to compare).
    Battery Guru for BB10 tracks voltage, power, battery health. (Also on the PlayBook.) White Noise helps you sleep or concentrate.
    Follow us on Twitter or Facebook or visit Engenuity's mobile apps page.
  13. afhstingray's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    471 Posts
    Global Posts
    472 Global Posts
    #13  

    Default

    seems pretty accurate so far, it could be because i set it at max brightness and the fact i really was playing with it a lot. one annoying thing i noticed that there is no way to disable the ambient light sensor. even when i request full brightness it dims according to the ambient light. for text on white background its a great feature,but when looking through powerpoint slides or watching youtube videos it gets really annoying as im used to the nice bright screens on my other devices. i only ever enable the auto brightness or reduce brightness if i know im going to have a long day away from power source, for example if i happen to be on the road
  14. afhstingray's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    471 Posts
    Global Posts
    472 Global Posts
    #14  

    Default

    ah- another supremely annoying thing that has happened which i fear might still be npresent on production devices is the screen lock. because the screen can be activated by swiping up from the active bezel, somehow my thigh has managed to unlock it too many times through my trouser pockets, and changed settings, dialled numbers etc.
  15. Concession's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    226 Posts
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    #15  

    Default

    If we're going to talk about annoying things, one annoying thing is there is no way to quickly and easily adjust the screen brightness like you can with the playbook or samsung android phones. If forces you to go deep into the system settings to change it.

    Another is the blackberry hub peak gesture doesn't work very well with the left hand. Naturally, my thumb wants to start the gesture on the right hand side of the screen, but if you start from the right side you can't pull the hub far enough to the right to open it. It forces you to crumple up your hand so you can start the gesture on the left side (or middle) of the screen so you have enough room to pull it to the right. Obviously with the Dev Alpha software you don't have to open the hub... ever but hopefully they'll fix that.

    The browser also crashes a lot. It's annoying, but has the ability to restore the tabs it had before it crashed like firefox does, which is neat.

    That's all I can think of to complain about right now.

    Got another: In the system settings peek is disabled. Navigation would be faster if it was enabled.
    Last edited by Concession; 01-24-2013 at 06:22 PM. Reason: thought of another
  16. greatwiseone's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,784 Posts
    #16  

    Default

    Well, with the new OS drop on the 30th, hopefully the Dev Alpha will be good enough as a daily driver...
  17. mcne2001's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    13 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #17  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by greatwiseone View Post
    Well, with the new OS drop on the 30th, hopefully the Dev Alpha will be good enough as a daily driver...
    this sound's really promising...
  18. Sith_Apprentice's Avatar

    Posts
    10,105 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,107 Global Posts
    PIN
    Changes way too often
    #18  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by afhstingray View Post
    ah- another supremely annoying thing that has happened which i fear might still be npresent on production devices is the screen lock. because the screen can be activated by swiping up from the active bezel, somehow my thigh has managed to unlock it too many times through my trouser pockets, and changed settings, dialled numbers etc.
    Why not just throw a password on the device? Would this not also be an issue with any touchscreen phone sans password lock?


    *Also this is fixed in the full version*
    ~S_A
  19. afhstingray's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    471 Posts
    Global Posts
    472 Global Posts
    #19  

    Default

    i dont have this problem on other phones, probably because instead of swiping the screen to activate it and then a very loose swipe upwards unlocks the screen, where else on iphone/android you press a physical button and then swipe in a more rigid fashion
  20. mithrazor's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,108 Posts
    PIN
    2B1BC93C
    #20  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Concession View Post
    If we're going to talk about annoying things, one annoying thing is there is no way to quickly and easily adjust the screen brightness like you can with the playbook or samsung android phones. If forces you to go deep into the system settings to change it.

    Another is the blackberry hub peak gesture doesn't work very well with the left hand. Naturally, my thumb wants to start the gesture on the right hand side of the screen, but if you start from the right side you can't pull the hub far enough to the right to open it. It forces you to crumple up your hand so you can start the gesture on the left side (or middle) of the screen so you have enough room to pull it to the right. Obviously with the Dev Alpha software you don't have to open the hub... ever but hopefully they'll fix that.

    The browser also crashes a lot. It's annoying, but has the ability to restore the tabs it had before it crashed like firefox does, which is neat.

    That's all I can think of to complain about right now.

    Got another: In the system settings peek is disabled. Navigation would be faster if it was enabled.
    Either hand you use, it will still crumple beginning or end of gesture.
  21. Sukhraj Singh's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    88 Posts
    #21  

    Default

    If you go to the display setting their is a option to turn off gestures when locked.
    peter9477 likes this.
  22. Concession's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    226 Posts
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    #22  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mithrazor View Post
    Either hand you use, it will still crumple beginning or end of gesture.
    With the left hand, yeah. It's awkward. I think the only way they could make it lefty friendly is if you could peek by dragging to the left. With the right hand you can move your thumb in an arc. Smooth and comfortable.
    Last edited by Concession; 01-28-2013 at 10:58 AM. Reason: drag to left. Not right. Can already drag to the right.
  23. Sith_Apprentice's Avatar

    Posts
    10,105 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,107 Global Posts
    PIN
    Changes way too often
    #23  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Concession View Post
    With the left hand, yeah. It's awkward. I think the only way they could make it lefty friendly is if you could peek by dragging to the left. With the right hand you can move your thumb in an arc. Smooth and comfortable.
    Using the device left handed is just as smooth as right handed IMO. Peeking at the HUB is just fine, hold your thumb near the bottom of the screen and it doesnt block your view either.
    ~S_A
  24. mikechawla's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    63 Posts
    #24  

    Default

    Now that the latest update has made it easier for us to use the Dev Alphas on a daily basis, and while we are waiting to send the devices back or waiting for the availability of Z10 at local stores, why not bring this thread to live again by sharing how are we doing using the units and what data we've got transferred from the old ones so far.

    As for myself, I have only started setting up some E-mail accounts, sideloaded some apps that I need the most.

    Read from some other threads that Contacts cannot be transferred using the BlackBerry Link. Anyone have got any success ?
  25. mcne2001's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    13 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #25  

    Default

    Using just my Dev device since Thursday.
    So far really happy, however a bit limited due to the known issues (no pdf reader,not full software release).
    No problem with contacts, however I'm running it against Exchange / Active Sync.
    Cheers, mcne2001
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Using Dev Alpha in left hand
    By cadoresg in forum BlackBerry 10 Dev Devices
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-22-2012, 10:53 PM
  2. BB 10 Dev Alpha on commercial?
    By derekjdech in forum BlackBerry 10 Dev Devices
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-16-2012, 09:47 PM
  3. Do you use more than 1 blackberry on a daily basis?
    By Johnyprez in forum General BlackBerry Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-31-2011, 02:42 PM
  4. 5MB memory loss on daily basis, is this normal?
    By 7thsunday in forum BlackBerry OS 5 & 4.x
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-07-2009, 10:38 AM
  5. App that uploads BB contacts on a daily basis?
    By jayaraj in forum BlackBerry OS Apps
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-02-2009, 09:34 AM

Posting Permissions