Is there a way I can record whats happening on the dev alpha, but instead of holding a shaky camera in front of the phone, use a built in function of some sort? Kind of like how you can take screenshots by holding down the volume up and volume down button, but to record a video instead.
    01-09-13 08:22 PM
    Not on the Dev Alpha, you will have to use a camera.
    01-10-13 07:24 AM
    It's too bad there isn't this function built-in. My demo video of my app taken with my 9800's camera was... crappy.
    01-10-13 08:07 AM
    It's too bad there isn't this function built-in. My demo video of my app taken with my 9800's camera was... crappy.
    That would be a feature they would show after BB10 is launched
    01-10-13 02:23 PM
    Have you considered outputting video via HDMI? At the VERY least, you should be able to get video on a bigger, better screen.
    01-10-13 02:25 PM
    Just FYI, this is an open feature request which they've expressed an interest in and were considering. It's a possibility for one of the unleaked features... and even if we don't see it at launch, I would expect it to come along over the next half year or so. (Educated guess?)
    01-10-13 02:39 PM
    01-10-13 02:55 PM
    Have you considered outputting video via HDMI? At the VERY least, you should be able to get video on a bigger, better screen.
    Thanks. I considered that, but I do not have hardware to do video capture from HDMI.

The best I could do was indeed put it onto a bigger screen and try to record that screen instead. Though the quality is not as good since I don't have a very good camera either.

Oh well. Was hoping to making a video of the Dev Alpha but I guess I'm going to try and figure out something else.
    01-10-13 05:24 PM
    I think this feature will be announced at launch. They kind of hinted at it with this video:

The screen is obviously being recorded.
    01-13-13 08:01 PM
    I think this feature will be announced at launch. They kind of hinted at it with this video:

They probably just did the filming first and then later on, used something else to record it... However, yeah it's possible that they could announce something like this but this isn't a proof. :/
    01-13-13 10:38 PM
    I'd love it if that were the case, but note that a company like RIM obviously has the resources to do this without it necessarily being integrated into the device. In fact, any of us who are willing to spend even a few hundred dollars could do it with third-party hardware.

Anyway, I'm sure it will come... the use cases are simply too compelling and the technical issues too minor for them not to do it some time soon, even if it's not there for us at launch. Maybe 10.1 in that case...

Edit: Ah, I think you figured that the screen view on the right was actually showing what Jeff typed in the middle panel? Unfortunately what we see there isn't synchronized perfectly with what he's doing. As he's starting to type, you can see a moment where his thumb isn't moving, but there are still keys being typed on the keyboard. Now, maybe they simply misaligned the two sequences, or maybe they didn't. I don't have time to compare that closely, but I think it's more likely right now that it was simply done separately with a regular HDMI output technique for recording.
    01-14-13 08:11 AM
    Edit: Ah, I think you figured that the screen view on the right was actually showing what Jeff typed in the middle panel? Unfortunately what we see there isn't synchronized perfectly with what he's doing. As he's starting to type, you can see a moment where his thumb isn't moving, but there are still keys being typed on the keyboard. Now, maybe they simply misaligned the two sequences, or maybe they didn't. I don't have time to compare that closely, but I think it's more likely right now that it was simply done separately with a regular HDMI output technique for recording.
    Any promo videos released will likely have movie magic sprinkled on top.

As for the screen recording feature. I don't think any other phone has this, so I don't think RIM will have it either.
    01-14-13 08:56 PM
    As for the screen recording feature. I don't think any other phone has this, so I don't think RIM will have it either.
    Um... because.... because, no phone has a feature which no other phone has?
    01-15-13 07:42 AM
    They probably filmed Jeff first the video in the center, then filmed separately the One on the Left and Right and then combined them in some program to make it look like it was filmed in one shot.
    01-15-13 08:51 PM
    Definitely would need to have a computer with HDMI input, or a DVD recorder with HDMI input. Other then that, it's just recording the screen with a video camera. But at least there is the HDMI option. Not many phones have that.
    peter9477 likes this.
    01-16-13 07:38 AM
    Or use the Simulator ! And record that with Fraps
    01-18-13 12:43 AM
    Don't forget you can screencap still snapshots the same way as on a PlayBook.
    01-20-13 06:08 PM
    Blackmagic Design Intensity Shuttle could capture PlayBook screen. It should be able to capture Dev Alpha as well.
    peter9477 likes this.
    01-20-13 06:35 PM
    The snapshot method is $200 cheaper!
    01-22-13 11:28 AM