Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Xopher
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,671 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Is there a way of doing screen recordings on the Dev Alpha Screen?

Is there a way I can record whats happening on the dev alpha, but instead of holding a shaky camera in front of the phone, use a built in function of some sort? Kind of like how you can take screenshots by holding down the volume up and volume down button, but to record a video instead.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    396 Global Posts

Not on the Dev Alpha, you will have to use a camera.
    Quote Originally Posted by G-bone View Post
    BlackBerry : We invented the Smartphone Business.
    We're takin' it Back!
    CrackBerry Abuser

It's too bad there isn't this function built-in. My demo video of my app taken with my 9800's camera was... crappy.
    ~ Spare Time App Developer ~
    (My PlayBook Apps: e-Mmanuel+ Bible Reader, e-Mmanuel Audio Bible, Business Analysis Toolbox, RiskASSIST, StakeholdersASSIST)
    See e-Mmanuel+ FaceBook Page for latest app news!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    396 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jetstreamblue View Post
    It's too bad there isn't this function built-in. My demo video of my app taken with my 9800's camera was... crappy.
    That would be a feature they would show after BB10 is launched
    Quote Originally Posted by G-bone View Post
    BlackBerry : We invented the Smartphone Business.
    We're takin' it Back!

Global Posts
    5,283 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B6927F7

Quote Originally Posted by jetstreamblue View Post
    Have you considered outputting video via HDMI? At the VERY least, you should be able to get video on a bigger, better screen.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    5,218 Global Posts

Just FYI, this is an open feature request which they've expressed an interest in and were considering. It's a possibility for one of the unleaked features... and even if we don't see it at launch, I would expect it to come along over the next half year or so. (Educated guess?)
    Battery Guru for BB10 tracks voltage, power, battery health. (Also on the PlayBook.) White Noise helps you sleep or concentrate.
    Follow us on Twitter or Facebook or visit Engenuity's mobile apps page.
    CrackBerry User

CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,671 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbuck View Post
    Have you considered outputting video via HDMI? At the VERY least, you should be able to get video on a bigger, better screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by kuffkuff View Post
    Thanks. I considered that, but I do not have hardware to do video capture from HDMI.

The best I could do was indeed put it onto a bigger screen and try to record that screen instead. Though the quality is not as good since I don't have a very good camera either.

Oh well. Was hoping to making a video of the Dev Alpha but I guess I'm going to try and figure out something else.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,750 Global Posts

I think this feature will be announced at launch. They kind of hinted at it with this video:

The screen is obviously being recorded.
    Have I really been here for three years?
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    554 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by r0v3rT3N View Post
    I think this feature will be announced at launch. They kind of hinted at it with this video:

They probably just did the filming first and then later on, used something else to record it... However, yeah it's possible that they could announce something like this but this isn't a proof. :/

Global Posts
    5,218 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by r0v3rT3N View Post
    I'd love it if that were the case, but note that a company like RIM obviously has the resources to do this without it necessarily being integrated into the device. In fact, any of us who are willing to spend even a few hundred dollars could do it with third-party hardware.

Anyway, I'm sure it will come... the use cases are simply too compelling and the technical issues too minor for them not to do it some time soon, even if it's not there for us at launch. Maybe 10.1 in that case...

Edit: Ah, I think you figured that the screen view on the right was actually showing what Jeff typed in the middle panel? Unfortunately what we see there isn't synchronized perfectly with what he's doing. As he's starting to type, you can see a moment where his thumb isn't moving, but there are still keys being typed on the keyboard. Now, maybe they simply misaligned the two sequences, or maybe they didn't. I don't have time to compare that closely, but I think it's more likely right now that it was simply done separately with a regular HDMI output technique for recording.
    Battery Guru for BB10 tracks voltage, power, battery health. (Also on the PlayBook.) White Noise helps you sleep or concentrate.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,671 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  

Quote Originally Posted by peter9477 View Post
    Edit: Ah, I think you figured that the screen view on the right was actually showing what Jeff typed in the middle panel? Unfortunately what we see there isn't synchronized perfectly with what he's doing. As he's starting to type, you can see a moment where his thumb isn't moving, but there are still keys being typed on the keyboard. Now, maybe they simply misaligned the two sequences, or maybe they didn't. I don't have time to compare that closely, but I think it's more likely right now that it was simply done separately with a regular HDMI output technique for recording.
    Any promo videos released will likely have movie magic sprinkled on top.

As for the screen recording feature. I don't think any other phone has this, so I don't think RIM will have it either.

Global Posts
    5,218 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew4life View Post
    As for the screen recording feature. I don't think any other phone has this, so I don't think RIM will have it either.
    Um... because.... because, no phone has a feature which no other phone has?
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,600 Global Posts

They probably filmed Jeff first the video in the center, then filmed separately the One on the Left and Right and then combined them in some program to make it look like it was filmed in one shot.
    I wait for the future...to COME back to BlackBerry!
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,722 Global Posts
    PIN
    BBM & Kik (ask)

Default Re: Is there a way of doing screen recordings on the Dev Alpha Screen?

Definitely would need to have a computer with HDMI input, or a DVD recorder with HDMI input. Other then that, it's just recording the screen with a video camera. But at least there is the HDMI option. Not many phones have that.
    RuneCryption - Unique memory game for PlayBook & BB10, now "Built for BlackBerry".
    peter9477 likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    Just PM

Or use the Simulator ! And record that with Fraps
    ❤ button

✪✪✪ Playbook + BB10 DEV , APPS ON REQUEST PLEASE PM ME. ✔✔✔[PB]Crackberry Forum App (NON-ANDROID) ✪✪✪
    ☢ bbUI.js ☢ expert -- Need HELP ? Just PM me ! ☣ Blackberry Playbook 64GB ☣
    CrackBerry User

Don't forget you can screencap still snapshots the same way as on a PlayBook.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Blackmagic Design Intensity Shuttle could capture PlayBook screen. It should be able to capture Dev Alpha as well.
    Thanked by:
    peter9477 (01-22-2013) 
    CrackBerry User

The snapshot method is $200 cheaper!