Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Damian Montero
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    606 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default T-Mobile?

Does the Dev Alpha have the possibility to connect to the T-Mobile 4G/3G internet? (AWS band)
    Or it just have AT&T+rest of the world 3G connectivity?

(Note: I'm European)
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,497 Global Posts

Default Re: T-Mobile?

On T-Mobile to get HSPA+
    Thanked by:
    Magnetic_dud (10-07-2012) 

Global Posts
    10,467 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me.

I ordered a TMo card and it hasn't arrived yet, but JDuke (another OSBB guy) got one and he said it works great.
    This is TMo in the US, I have not clue about in the UK.
    Thanked by:
    Magnetic_dud (10-07-2012) 
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    606 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Ah, I didn't know there was T-Mob also in UK
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    PIN
    2668C7AC

I had no problem getting a T-Mobile USA micro SIM card to work in the Dev Alpha B. I'm guessing BlackBerry 10 respects the OMA spec that allows for the APN to be auto-provisioned. Swapping back-and-forth between an AT&T SIM card and a T-Mobile SIM card resulted in the APN being updated immediately each time. As others have indicated, texting and calls are currently non-functional (haven't tried the Bluetooth workaround, though).

The one bummer is that the APN cannot be edited, in my experience, with either AT&T or T-Mobile SIM cards. Since my AT&T micro SIM is actually being borrowed from an iPad, it won't function without the APN being set to "broadband". By default, BlackBerry 10 thinks the APN for an AT&T SIM card should be "phone" (which it would be, under normal circumstances, but that is disabled on iPad data plans). I've used the iPad micro SIM in my unlocked BlackBerry Bold (with a micro SIM adapter) from time-to-time without issue by just switching the APN, but BlackBerry 10 currently doesn't allow it to be changed.

The only caveat with T-Mobile is that you're stuck with 2G on the Dev Alpha unless you're in an area (parts of Seattle, Los Angeles, New York, Las Vegas, and Washington) that has had 1900 MHz HSPA+ 3G/4G coverage enabled (aka their spectrum/network "refarming" project for iPhone). Nonetheless, it's great for testing your apps on-the-go and for seeing how geolocation via triangularization will function in your apps.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Excellent description.
    Just wanted to add that I get 3G from T-Mobile here in South Florida. And it's really 3g so umts 1mbps speed because the same sim on a T-Mobile device will hit 6-8mbps all day long.

On the dev alpha A device you'll get full "4G" speeds asit has the 1700mhz radio.

My prepaid sim from straight Talk (which is an mvno of at&t's) would automatically try the "phone" apn which would mean I can text and call but no data.

It's amazing rim choose to make it simple for the developers
    And have the phone automatically guess the apn and not let the developers do it.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    606 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

The problem is that, at least on my italian network, it chooses the wrong APN (select an old WAP-only one)
    And I can't change it...
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,723 Global Posts
    PIN
    BBM & Kik (ask)

The Dev Alpha A has the 1700 MHz spectrum, while the Dev Alpha B had the 1900 MHz spectrum.

So, the Dev A should get 4G on T-Mobile (depending on the city).
    RuneCryption - Unique memory game for PlayBook & BB10, now "Built for BlackBerry".
    CrackBerry Abuser

Dev Alpha A has: 850/1700/1900/2100 so HSPA+ on AT&T USA and T-Mobile USA and many international carriers.

Dev Alpha B has 850/900/1900/2100 so HSPA+ on AT&T USA and MORE international carriers (but T-mobile is stuck on EDGE, with SOME areas having UMTS, so 1Mpbs)

They changed because they changed the CPU and the radio and CPU are usually connected. They also added the 900Mhz band which is used more outside of the USA.

Like I said. I have the "B" and I have a $30/month for 5GB of 4G on T-mobile prepaid plan and I'm getting "E" and "3G" showing. If I put my AT&T chip it says "4G" and I'm sure if I put my t-mobile SIM in the Dev alpha A I'll get "4G" or 8Mbps HSPA+ because it has the 1700mhz frequencies.
    mithrazor likes this.
    CrackBerry User

Default TMO Dev Alpha A can't txt--any solutions

Hi,

I just bit the bullet and chopped my tmo sim and put it in the DEV alpha A in the NYC area. Everything seems to work fine (3G/4G HSPA+), but I cannot seem to send or receive text messages. Here are the settings--any ideas?

service center: 12063130004
    routing preference: packet switched
    send text message only as SMS
    retries:3
    APN:fast.t-mobile.com (CANNOT CHANGE)
    username: left empty
    password: left blank

Thank you!
    Last edited by FernCommodari; 03-16-2013 at 11:48 PM. Reason: typo
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

for Tmobile 4g to work you must have the STL100-3 version
    kpai81
    CrackBerry Genius

When I was in the Washington area using T-Mobile with my DA-A I only got 3G service. Don't know why yours would show you H+ but maybe if you manually set it to 2G/3G it will work. I had no trouble, other than the known issues with the binary I was running at the time.
    CrackBerry Abuser

The dev alpha A does have the Tmobile bands so should feet Hspa+ all day long as long as you have coverage.

The dev alpha B got 3g (maxed at 2mbps) in Florida but got full 4G in las Vegas (where I won the best bb10 html5 app..eh hem....)

The z10 LE has all bands and gets Tmobile 4g and I've clocked it ast 20Mbps and I'm sure it'll also have LTE when they turn it on out here.

Regardless get the Tmobile service. Works great!