plastic back would be low-cost, the clean front is appealing. The Milan sliver/square corners might be a bit polarizing, I like it personnaly, but clean aspect of the Colt/Dev alpha would be a good mid-end BB10 device. Capacity 16, 32, 64Gb.

Let Milan differentiate BB10 from Android. High grade back panel, 32, 64, 128Gb capacity.
    05-07-12 05:54 PM
    Even BGR likes the fit and finish of the device, which is quite spectacular for a prototype.

They should definitely sell it.
    05-07-12 05:55 PM
    If they could launch it with OS7 today and upgrade it to BB10 I would agree

but BB10 is certainly not baked enough for release

and I'm not sure about a non removable battery for a BlackBerry,
    I do like my devAlpha and some android people have been WOW'd by it, but it is a bit bulky
    05-07-12 06:16 PM
    I wouldn't mind having the option of buying back my Dev Device when we can trade them in for a BB10 device, purely for nostalgic reasons if nothing else.
    05-08-12 01:17 PM
    I wouldn't mind having the option of buying back my Dev Device when we can trade them in for a BB10 device, purely for nostalgic reasons if nothing else.
    Why not just attend another bb10 event?
    05-08-12 02:02 PM
    Actually having it in your hand is a different story. It's just a little too bulky and the build quality isn't great (though it's a dev device so no fault here). If they were to refine it a little bit more, they could certainly brand it the "MiniBook" or the "PlayBooklet" or something fun, but as is, it's just so-so. Wouldn't suggest selling it :P
    05-08-12 02:06 PM
    Why not just attend another bb10 event?
    Are they giving out more DA's?
    I suppose even if they were, I'm back on the west coast and RIM doesn't appear to care about us westerners
    Last edited by SCrid2000; 05-08-12 at 03:07 PM.
    ayekon likes this.
    05-08-12 03:05 PM
    The device looks great, love the specs, but actually holding it... I'll take my 9850 or even my work 9930 over it. (Keeping in mind this is simply a development device)

Now, for a dev device, I really think it is a great formfactor. The hybrid BB10/PB software is another story today...

I would would not want to actually purchase this device as a phone... Maybe a portable video game device if I played games, but I don't.

I really do look forward the next generation of polished devices from RIM. A very exciting glimpse in to the future of capabilities for the BlackBerry platform. As an AIR developer I am glad to see the updated SDK with more native extentions, etc.
    05-08-12 03:08 PM
    Actually having it in your hand is a different story. It's just a little too bulky and the build quality isn't great (though it's a dev device so no fault here). If they were to refine it a little bit more, they could certainly brand it the "MiniBook" or the "PlayBooklet" or something fun, but as is, it's just so-so. Wouldn't suggest selling it :P
    You must have a different devAlpha than I do

Build quality is excellent, the software is lacking but everyone I show my device to is impressed with it, it is a bit big, but Samsung Galaxy owners don't even notice.
    05-08-12 05:10 PM
    I suppose even if they were, I'm back on the west coast and RIM doesn't appear to care about us westerners
    WTF? DevCon (BlackBerry Jam2) is slated to be held on the west coast in Cali again
    05-08-12 05:11 PM
    You must have a different devAlpha than I do

Build quality is excellent, the software is lacking but everyone I show my device to is impressed with it, it is a bit big, but Samsung Galaxy owners don't even notice.
    Honestly, I believe RIM does an amazing job at making devices feel just right in the hand. Much attention is given to this part of the design process and this device (being for developers) clearly hasn't gone through the same scrutiny.

I suppose this also may be what people like about it?!? Maybe because it doesn't have that classic RIM touch that I as a very long time user cherish so much? I don't know.

I truly appreciate picking up my 9850 after working with the Dev Alpha and running my thumb along the screen. I can feel just how much work was put into the physical engineering that folks who like bricks likely couldn't care a less about...

Again, I may be outnumbered here but that is my opinion and again, the Dev Alpha is a remarkable piece of hardware and I am pleased to develop with such a polished piece of hardware. This really helps visualize and get into you head what your app will be like in the smartphone form-factors. Sparks creativity.
    05-08-12 05:23 PM
    I think the Dev Alpha feels excellent in the hand but it does lack that certain BlackBerry esque "fits like a glove" quality.
    05-08-12 05:27 PM
    I might go to another one just to hear the BB 10 Jam song again from Alec & Co hahaha. If I pick another one up i'll sell it to you for $X or a trade you for a brand new spanking bb10 phone how does that sound? hahaha
    05-08-12 09:28 PM
    I would probably take that offer but I read online (I think maybe asaunders tweeted it?) that they won't be handing out Dev devices at the road tours (which of course might just to be to dissuade non-devs from coming to get them).
    05-08-12 09:41 PM
    I just checked ebay there are ZERO avaliable .. wondering if I have any takers at 10 k LOL jkjk... (for 10k not really .. but seriously jkjk . . . )
    05-08-12 10:22 PM
    I just checked ebay there are ZERO avaliable .. wondering if I have any takers at 10 k LOL jkjk... (for 10k not really .. but seriously jkjk . . . )
    for 10k you can have my Dev device and a spare kidney.
    05-08-12 11:33 PM
    Not gonna lie... I would shell out a couple hundred bucks for that beauty

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    05-09-12 12:34 AM
    Honestly, I believe RIM does an amazing job at making devices feel just right in the hand. Much attention is given to this part of the design process and this device (being for developers) clearly hasn't gone through the same scrutiny.

I suppose this also may be what people like about it?!? Maybe because it doesn't have that classic RIM touch that I as a very long time user cherish so much? I don't know.

I truly appreciate picking up my 9850 after working with the Dev Alpha and running my thumb along the screen. I can feel just how much work was put into the physical engineering that folks who like bricks likely couldn't care a less about...

Again, I may be outnumbered here but that is my opinion and again, the Dev Alpha is a remarkable piece of hardware and I am pleased to develop with such a polished piece of hardware. This really helps visualize and get into you head what your app will be like in the smartphone form-factors. Sparks creativity.
    Oh I am in full agreement with you,

I would NOT want the DevAlpha device as my full time driver, it doesn't feel wonderful in the hand as RIM devices do, I LOVE the 9790 because I feel it is the best shaped device RIM makes today, even the microUSB port is perfectly positioned,

that said in the full touchscreen market I don't find the devAlpha any less or more comfortable in the hand than anything of compatible size in the 4+ " Android /Windows range
    05-09-12 08:09 PM
    I wouldn't want blackberry to release anything unless it is polished. So I'm okay with them not releasing anything yet. No more debacles from Rim please.
    06-03-12 05:29 PM
    I'm willing to buy the Alpha device
    11-27-12 11:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD