For those that have the Dev Alpha device, what OS version does it show? It's been said to be running a modified version of the PlayBook OS, so I'm wondering if it shows as such, and what the version numbering is.

Also, it looks like there is no App World icon, so I'm wondering how side-loaded PB apps look on it with the resolution increase.
    05-02-12 01:24 PM
    Looks like a modified playbook os as seen in those initial setup videos...
    05-02-12 01:49 PM
    OS v10.0.4.197
    playbook os 10.0
    just to clarify not bbos 10.0
    He just said OS V10.0.4.197 he didnt say BBOS
    05-02-12 02:02 PM
    i know, he didnt say either, im jus clarifying for the sake of doing so, and so no one accidently assumes thats what bb10 is
    travaz likes this.
    05-02-12 02:09 PM
    I dont understand this...BB10 is the OS...but they haven't even released an official version, so why are we at V. 10.0....? why not start back at 1.0.0 since it is a brand new OS and not continuing with BBOS
    05-02-12 03:02 PM
    playbook os 10.0
    just to clarify not bbos 10.0
    This is an early build of the BlackBerry 10 OS, it's not technically a PlayBook OS. But remember at some point BlackBerry 10 will be the OS to rule them all and will be on the PlayBook and the handhelds.
    05-02-12 03:09 PM
    I dont understand this...BB10 is the OS...but they haven't even released an official version, so why are we at V. 10.0....? why not start back at 1.0.0 since it is a brand new OS and not continuing with BBOS
    I imagine that's just their style of doing things. It *is* technically the OS 10 we will see on future phones, but it's a very very early and stripped-down build and doesn't do anything phone-like (or playbook-like for that matter) beyond the camera and browser and any apps you load.
    05-02-12 04:42 PM
    That's what I was hoping they'd do. "BlackBerry 10" is the name of the OS, so it should start as "BlackBerry 10 v1.XX" (or in this case v0.XX). Using "BlackBerry 10.0.XX" makes it seem to be a part of the current BlackBerry OS.
    05-02-12 05:17 PM
    That's what I was hoping they'd do. "BlackBerry 10" is the name of the OS, so it should start as "BlackBerry 10 v1.XX" (or in this case v0.XX). Using "BlackBerry 10.0.XX" makes it seem to be a part of the current BlackBerry OS.
    Well yes and no, any OS or app for that matter can be completely revamped and still increment the version. It's really up to RIM to decide, besides, it might get really confusing saying Blackberry 10 v1.XX especially if you think about the next iterations, ie Blackberry 11 v1.XX and so on...
    Last edited by sergeh; 05-03-12 at 11:22 PM.
    05-02-12 05:36 PM
    Has anyone had a chance to post a copy of the OS online?

Maybe the possibility of loading it onto a PB?
    05-02-12 06:37 PM
    Lets compare this to Windows to get an idea of how versioning works

Windows OS is the name, Vista would be the version (it was version 6 of the OS)
    BlackBerry OS is the name, not "BlackBerry 10", this is version 10

For arguments sake lets say Vista = PB OS 1.0, Win 7 = PB OS 2.0, and Win 8 = BB 10

Vista abandoned Win XP and created an entirely new version of the OS with all new code
    PB OS 1.0 was the ground work for the newest version of the OS with all new code (based on QNX) and abandoned BB OS 1-7

Windows 7 was the second version of the OS based on this new code
    PB OS 2.0 is the second version based on the new code (QNX), though not as drastic as Vista to Win 7, you still get the point

Windows 8 is the newest version of the Windows OS and started with a "Developer Preview" version and they gave away tablets with this version installed on it to get developers on board with their system. The preview could be downloaded and installed on any machine you wanted to install it on to develop/test
    "Blackberry 10" is the newest version of the OS and they have started with the "Dev Alpha" and gave away a devices with it installed to get developers on board with their system. The Dev Alpha can be downloaded and run virtually on any machine you want to develop/test

Note: The WebWorks SDK includes the Dev Alpha virtual machine you can run with VMware. You can download it here

Although this is still part of the "BlackBerry OS" it is a fresh start from where they have been previously

/2cents

Screenshot of Dev Alpha VM for giggles
    05-02-12 07:24 PM
    I wonder if cascades won't run on the playbook because they are holding it back for now or because they really don't have it completely done for the playbook. I think if you tried to run it then it would just crash due to a version mismatch.
    05-03-12 05:43 PM
    I wonder if cascades won't run on the playbook because they are holding it back for now or because they really don't have it completely done for the playbook. I think if you tried to run it then it would just crash due to a version mismatch.
    Cascades runs on the Playbook. See Apps & Games thread.
    I uploaded the Cascades Playbook OS 2.0 libraries.
    meltbox360 likes this.
    05-03-12 05:53 PM
    You literally just stopped me from attempting to start writing an app in openGL. Thank you so much.
    05-03-12 06:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD