• 2 Post By Brian Scheirer
  • 1 Post By Skeevecr
  • 1 Post By Superfly_FR
  • 3 Post By Skeevecr
    CrackBerry Master

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default No Dev Alpha C until after launch

RIM Developers Still Waiting for BB10 Keyboard Prototypes

By Hugo Miller - Jan 17, 2013 9:13 AM PT.

Software developers for Research In Motion Ltd. (RIMM)’s BlackBerry 10 smartphones have yet to get models with physical keyboards, the latest sign RIM is de-emphasizing its once-signature feature in favor of touch screens.

RIM will distribute prototypes with physical keyboards after the new software platform’s official debut on Jan. 30, said Victoria Berry, a company spokeswoman. Developers were given touch-screen versions months ago, letting them design applications for the phones. The pending keyboard prototypes will be known as Dev Alpha C devices, she said
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...tml?cmpid=yhoo
    CrackBerry Addict

hmm...makes you wonder how much later the x10 will be released after the z10?

Global Posts
    9,327 Global Posts
    PIN
    Hey, what did you expect ?

There's a limited number available and a "contest" based on contribution (wide sense) currently running.
    If your read the T&C, then ... it confirms that date.

We've given out over 7,500 BlackBerry® Dev Alpha devices to developers around the world since we started this program last May at BlackBerry 10 Jam in Orlando. And now, we're ready to do it again; this time with the BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha C!1
    The top 1,500 people to submit two or more applications2 will be given priority seeding for the BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha C. These 1,500 developers will be determined on the following point system:

• 50 points for ported Android applications
    • 250 points for all other applications (Native, BlackBerry® WebWorks™, Adobe AIR)
    • 1,500 points for Built For BlackBerry certified application
    • 200 points to start for BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha A/B recipients
    • 200 points to start if you are a BlackBerry Elite Member
    • BONUS: 200 points if you contribute to a repo on GitHub.com/BlackBerry between Dec 1 and Feb 5

To qualify, developers must first register below.
    The BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha C offer will run from December 1, 2012 through February 5, 2013.
    https://developer.blackberry.com/devalphac/

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by drummer_god View Post
    hmm...makes you wonder how much later the x10 will be released after the z10?
    Also, I believe the devAlpha C to be VERY close to production unit (not to say the same with a different back door, for instance).
    Join my BBM Channel : C00035FA6
    "I speak English like a Spanish Cow"
    I'm a StockBerrian, proudly holding 50 150 250 400 550 1000 BlackBerry shares
    Thanked by:
    mikeo007 (01-20-2013) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Ya, we've known this information since Nov 30th (when they announced the Dev Alpha C). Feb 5th is BBJam Europe... So maybe some connection to that.
    Check out my BB10 Cascades Coding Site: http://BBcascades.com/ Blog: http://bbcascadescode.tumblr.com/

My Apps: The Dive Plan (Built for BlackBerry Approved) | Visual Connection | Combo Pics | Beer Math | Random Stories | Logic Puzzles
    peter9477 and Superfly_FR like this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

IMO it's because they want us to keep wondering what the final hardware will look like.
    I'm hoping for a good surprise the 30th.
    The pics we have already seen look way too much like the 9900. I like mine, but it is now old, and to put out a phone that looks like a (almost) two year old devise would be stupid IMO.
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by epress man View Post
    The pics we have already seen look way too much like the 9900. I like mine, but it is now old, and to put out a phone that looks like a (almost) two year old devise would be stupid IMO.
    Have you not considered that they have done that on purpose, the n-series is a more conservative option for those who do not want to jump in with an l-series, so making it look familiar and focusing on the core values of a qwerty blackberry like great battery life and an unmatched typing experience in combination with the new os.
    peter9477 likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    432 Global Posts

Looks like the're tired to prevent leaks using NDAs, they just first announce device and then give it to developers.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    432 Global Posts

"The BlackBerry’s name derives from the idea that the tiny, black keys on the device resemble the fruit." I'm curious what made Apple to make a logo of bitten apple?
    CrackBerry Master

How much longer ?? Even though, I'm waiting for the L-Series, my contract don't ends till mid March. Hopefully, they will release the N-Series by then so i can see in person and make my final decision.
    CrackBerry Master

I'm getting the Z10 then the Arista so I'm not one bit worried

Global Posts
    3,066 Global Posts
    PIN
    24BF22A0

Clearly they are expecting dev's to have these dev alpha c units for some time before the keyboard version launches, otherwise why waste resources even developing a dev device at all.. if the production device was hitting the market a week or two later why not just give the first run of production units to the dev's.. me thinks the keyboard version won't hit the street until late March or later.

Guess that settles the debate about whether or not to pickup a z10..

RIM 950 .... Blackberry Z10 (STL100-3 on hybrid OS 10.3.0.140/misc) and everything in between
    + Playbook 32GB
    CrackBerry Addict

Aye. There's no point launching an X10 if none of the apps work on it. That'd be a huge mistake. So they're going to release them to top devs so that the top apps get ported to the X10 first.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Its seems like a mistake the way they have created 2 different platforms when you submit your app, it looks like some apps will be on the all touch device and not on the keyboard device, this will cause some frustration.
    Waterloo's Finest

Global Posts
    5,324 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by johnyblaze View Post
    Its seems like a mistake the way they have created 2 different platforms when you submit your app, it looks like some apps will be on the all touch device and not on the keyboard device, this will cause some frustration.
    Yep. Here we go again
    Phones: Nokia 5110>Nokia 3360>Siemens C56>Moto RAZR>LG Chocolate>Pearl 8100>Bold 9000 >Pearl 9100 + Bold 9900 > iPhone 4S + Z10 + Bold 9000
    Tablets: 16GB Playbook > Playbook 32GB
    __________________________________________________ _________________________

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE SEXY GIRLS IN YOGA PANTS CHANNEL

C000288CC
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________

Global Posts
    9,327 Global Posts
    PIN
    Hey, what did you expect ?

Quote Originally Posted by supraking View Post
    Aye. There's no point launching an X10 if none of the apps work on it. That'd be a huge mistake. So they're going to release them to top devs so that the top apps get ported to the X10 first.
    Design guidelines gives the developer all the tricks. Simulator will be updated soon - I presume.
    "Modern" programming is based on separated "parts" for data processing (won't change), app logic (won't change) and display layouts (will have to fine-tune).
    So that I believe most of us (devs) have already set the basis to allow a quick port and will only have to work on approx 20% of the code.
    This - of course - is for regular apps; those mostly graphic may have some more work to do, provided they want to port on a 720X720 screen, which is not obvious.
    Join my BBM Channel : C00035FA6
    "I speak English like a Spanish Cow"
    I'm a StockBerrian, proudly holding 50 150 250 400 550 1000 BlackBerry shares
    jakie55 likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by johnyblaze View Post
    Some apps won't be suited to the smaller screen, others will work just fine, it isn't a big deal just a recognition of the fact that the qwerty model has a particular role to fill which doesn't necessarily include playing every single game on bb world.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Have you not considered that they have done that on purpose, the n-series is a more conservative option for those who do not want to jump in with an l-series, so making it look familiar and focusing on the core values of a qwerty blackberry like great battery life and an unmatched typing experience in combination with the new os.
    I have considered that.
    All I know is what I would do. And I would not want to buy the phone in the leaked pics. If I buy a new phone I want it to look like another phone, not like the one I already have.
    If the keyboard version actually looks like the leaks then I may have to try the Z10.
    I do fear that RIM would get more flack then Apple did (iphone 5) for looking the same as the old.
    lots of things to consider
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by Skeevecr View Post
    Some apps won't be suited to the smaller screen, others will work just fine, it isn't a big deal just a recognition of the fact that the qwerty model has a particular role to fill which doesn't necessarily include playing every single game on bb world.
    Its going to be a poor user experience if you dont know which BB10 will have which app.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    724 Global Posts

Releasing the Alpha C after the launch announcement is fairly logical: developers who will be supporting the platform will already be on board for the most part. The tools for the overall operating system will be in their hands and with the Z10 devices in people's hands there will be time to work out issues as well as integrate a slightly different set of rules. It only makes sense that you want to give developers one less set of variables at the initial launch to refine applications.

Aren't we also potentially underestimating the scaling power of the underlying OS? There may be less screen real estate with the QWERTY models, but if what we have on screen is just as crisp and clear there may not be as much of a worry.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    151 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rthonpm View Post
    Releasing the Alpha C after the launch announcement is fairly logical: developers who will be supporting the platform will already be on board for the most part. The tools for the overall operating system will be in their hands and with the Z10 devices in people's hands there will be time to work out issues as well as integrate a slightly different set of rules. It only makes sense that you want to give developers one less set of variables at the initial launch to refine applications.

Aren't we also potentially underestimating the scaling power of the underlying OS? There may be less screen real estate with the QWERTY models, but if what we have on screen is just as crisp and clear there may not be as much of a worry.
    Good post. Made me realize that, for sure Rim is being methodical. Build for one, test it, reformat it for the other screen ratio.
    Easier to develop first for the larger Z10, then prioritize the UI and content for the X10.

That said, from my reading of the dev boards, the simulator could test the 720x720 layout already. And the SDKs have a scaling to device function built in.
    Still the QWERTY SDK beta is not out. But I trust that there is a reasoning... We're all just arm chair executives.