Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 32 of 32
Like Tree19Likes
  1. afhstingray's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    60 Posts
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    #26  

    Default

    wow. how bitter and small minded can one be to wish it gets bricked just because someone else got one and you didnt? like a kid being sour grapes. wishing bad stuff on people because of jealousy is just plain mean.

    not to mention there are a myriad of reasons non-developers got an alpha, from needing one to demo apps to carriers, testing apps, to journalists being given previews to pre-seed hype about the OS, and even some admins who have a lot of bb's in their company for early evaluation.

    in my company at least, we have 3 alphas which are being used by non devs, for intensive testing of apps before release. not everybody who got a dev is a pokey one or two man show development outfit.

    not to mention that the terms are one LE per app, per company. so if you have 3 huge apps with millions of users each, and a team of 20 devs and support people who have alphas, only 3 of them can get traded up to the LE.
    Last edited by afhstingray; 02-10-2013 at 02:25 AM.
    fbloise likes this.
  2. Skeevecr's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,509 Posts
    #27  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by afhstingray View Post
    not to mention there are a myriad of reasons non-developers got an alpha, from needing one to demo apps to carriers, testing apps, to journalists being given previews to pre-seed hype about the OS, and even some admins who have a lot of bb's in their company for early evaluation.
    Crucial words in this sentence being preview, pre-seed, early evaluation, none of which are applicable when they are available to buy.

    not to mention that the terms are one LE per app, per company. so if you have 3 huge apps with millions of users each, and a team of 20 devs and support people who have alphas, only 3 of them can get traded up to the LE.
    Maybe I am missing something, but in that situation, it would seem like a company making that much money out of blackberry could afford to buy a few phones and equally blackberry would also tend to be eager to encourage such a company and would readily do them a deal.
    Flip4Bytes likes this.
  3. Flip4Bytes's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,238 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,246 Global Posts
    #28  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by afhstingray View Post
    wow. how bitter and small minded can one be to wish it gets bricked just because someone else got one and you didnt? like a kid being sour grapes. wishing bad stuff on people because of jealousy is just plain mean.

    not to mention there are a myriad of reasons non-developers got an alpha, from needing one to demo apps to carriers, testing apps, to journalists being given previews to pre-seed hype about the OS, and even some admins who have a lot of bb's in their company for early evaluation.

    in my company at least, we have 3 alphas which are being used by non devs, for intensive testing of apps before release. not everybody who got a dev is a pokey one or two man show development outfit.

    not to mention that the terms are one LE per app, per company. so if you have 3 huge apps with millions of users each, and a team of 20 devs and support people who have alphas, only 3 of them can get traded up to the LE.
    I think you are mistaken... The person who mentioned that most likely has a Dev Alpha device.. I too have a Dev Alpha and hope that it does get bricked aswell.. The Dev Alpha is NOT your property, that is in the contract that you have to sign when getting the Dev Alpha.. You are not allowed to get one unless you sign your name stating that you understand this. It's funny isn't it, the Alpha says "Property of Research In Motion Limited", strange huh? Why did they even put that sticker on there? Maybe because it's THEIR property and they are simply LENDING it to us.

    They WILL brick the alpha units because they WANT THEM BACK. There is simple reasoning behind this.. If you just choose to hold onto the unit and not return it, you are stealing from them.. It's illegal.. Will you get into trouble by them? Probably not, but they have your device pin and company/personal information, so if you steal it from them, I doubt they will be willing to help you out in the future.

    This is the "BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha" thread as a reminder.. Most all of us who frequent this thread have a Dev Alpha unit, which is why this thread was made in the first place.. Not quite sure why you were assuming that the person who stated that is instead "jealous" because he/she didn't get one.. Because chances are they indeed have one. I too have the same feelings as them and as mentioned before, I have a Dev Alpha, so I am not "jealous" of them for having one aswell. If you instead used it for demonstration purposes as you mentioned and are not eligible for the LE device, then I still hope the phone gets bricked as it will.. You do not own the device, they simply lent it to you with the intentions that they would get it BACK. If you have a bricked device sitting there, you may actually return it to them to still be on good terms with them opposed to keeping a brick and being forever on their bad side.

    This goes beyond just simple "jealousy" anyways (even though as I pointed out before, none of us are).. This would be better labeled as an issue of ethics, and what would be the "right thing to do". Not to mention, it was in the contract that you signed, so in addition to it being an ethical issue, it is also a legal issue.. But then again, with your view, everyone who shares this feeling is instead just jealous, right?

    I'm sorry you feel this way. Carry on.
    Last edited by Flip4Bytes; 02-10-2013 at 03:06 PM.
    Hi, I'm Alex Bass - Website Designer, App Developer & Owner of CyberBytes Inc.
    I made the BFB Certified App Web Design Cheat Sheet using Native Cascades. The App is Free - More Info About WDCS
    ___

    Web Design/Development Channel - C000BEB17 | WDCS App Channel - C000BEB17 (Sneak Peeks, Leaks, and More)
    Personal Twitter - @Flip4Bytes | Company Twitter - @CyberBytesInc
    Thanked by:
    Saiga (02-10-2013) 
    Saiga likes this.
  4. afhstingray's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    60 Posts
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    #29  

    Default

    wow. using a huge font size and getting all emotional while making spurious claims makes your argument so much more valid dosent it?

    I never said anything about keeping the device if they ask for it back. So far, they havent. And its quite unlikely they will, based on engineering samples etc we've received in the past.

    My point was, if they never ask for it back, why "hope" it gets bricked?

    Also, i was responding to certain statements that went along the lines of "if you have a dev and cant upgrade to the LE you dont deserve a dev". One LE, per company, per app....so not everyone who cant trade up does not deserve one.
    Thanked by:
    fbloise (02-11-2013) 
    fbloise likes this.
  5. Flip4Bytes's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,238 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,246 Global Posts
    #30  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by afhstingray View Post
    I never said anything about keeping the device if they ask for it back. So far, they havent. And its quite unlikely they will, based on engineering samples etc we've received in the past.

    My point was, if they never ask for it back, why "hope" it gets bricked?
    It's in the damn contract that you signed... You must return the device at the end of testing.. They don't need to request that you give the device back... You agreed to the terms and conditions on a legally binding contract. So someone that want's to break the contract and instead keep the device is in return screwing over BlackBerry.. Because of this, we have a right to be annoyed with that and hope the device gets bricked so he will in the end, return it back to it's rightful owners instead of holding onto a stolen device. Not only are you to return it, but you are supposed to stop using it at the end of the test period (aka, the device will be bricked).. You have absolutely no right to hold onto the device, you are simply borrowing it from RIM. Try reading a contract before signing it, just saying..

    "Return Obligation. For the purpose of this Alpha License Agreement, Section 14 of the BBSLA ("Effect of Termination") is amended by adding the following:
    Upon the expiration or termination of the Test Period, You will immediately discontinue all use of the Alpha Product and return the Alpha Product in accordance instructions provided by RIM. Title to the Alpha Hardware remains at all times with RIM."

    They aren't going to just let you hold onto it, seeing as it's stated multiple times that RIM owns the device at all times and you are simply borrowing it. That being said, if you choose to keep the dev alpha device as OP is planning on doing, he is breaking the law as the device is not his property. He is stealing from BlackBerry, and I (as many others) have the right to be upset with that, and request that he in-turn does not do that. If they don't send you personal instructions to return the device, it STILL does not mean that you in turn own the device and get to keep it, it's stated in the contract, so your whole theory is not valid, they don't need to "ask" for it back as it's not YOUR property.
    Hi, I'm Alex Bass - Website Designer, App Developer & Owner of CyberBytes Inc.
    I made the BFB Certified App Web Design Cheat Sheet using Native Cascades. The App is Free - More Info About WDCS
    ___

    Web Design/Development Channel - C000BEB17 | WDCS App Channel - C000BEB17 (Sneak Peeks, Leaks, and More)
    Personal Twitter - @Flip4Bytes | Company Twitter - @CyberBytesInc
    Thanked by:
    schmeat (02-11-2013) 
  6. fbloise's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    614 Posts
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B5E52DF
    #31  

    Default

    Is for Blackberry to decide whether they block the PIN or will remotely brick the devices... so stop acting like you give a F**** or like you were their Lawyer.
    I've got one for the simple fact that I work in the IT dept and my company is currently using Blackberries deployed among employees. If Blackberry didn't give you one, is not my problem and I honestly don't give a horse crap. No matter if they brick mine or not, I will end up buying a Z10 anyway.
  7. Flip4Bytes's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,238 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,246 Global Posts
    #32  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fbloise View Post
    Is for Blackberry to decide whether they block the PIN or will remotely brick the devices... so stop acting like you give a F**** or like you were their Lawyer.
    I've got one for the simple fact that I work in the IT dept and my company is currently using Blackberries deployed among employees. If Blackberry didn't give you one, is not my problem and I honestly don't give a horse crap. No matter if they brick mine or not, I will end up buying a Z10 anyway.
    I have already said multiple times that I do have one, but alright. I have the right to my own opinion. He is doing a disservice to BlackBerry, a company that has gone out of their way to help out developers, like myself. That being said, it effects me in the sense that I want to see them succeed, and the kid is over there stealing from them. Stealing from a company that I have invested in, in more ways than just one. I am simply stating my opinion... An opinion which is backed by an ethical moral, and a legal standpoint, now why is it that you are so angered by this?
    Hi, I'm Alex Bass - Website Designer, App Developer & Owner of CyberBytes Inc.
    I made the BFB Certified App Web Design Cheat Sheet using Native Cascades. The App is Free - More Info About WDCS
    ___

    Web Design/Development Channel - C000BEB17 | WDCS App Channel - C000BEB17 (Sneak Peeks, Leaks, and More)
    Personal Twitter - @Flip4Bytes | Company Twitter - @CyberBytesInc
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. RIM should sell the Dev Alpha device
    By kingbernie06511 in forum BlackBerry 10 Dev Devices
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 11-27-2012, 11:08 PM
  2. Official PlayBook .bars that work on the Dev Alpha
    By SCrid2000 in forum BlackBerry 10 Dev Devices
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-20-2012, 05:56 PM
  3. Beta Testing for OS10 on the Dev Alpha
    By SCrid2000 in forum BlackBerry 10 Dev Devices
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-20-2012, 09:12 PM
  4. Why is the logo covered on the Dev Alpha Device?
    By sebastianlovestheplaybook in forum BlackBerry Z10
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-07-2012, 10:31 AM
  5. Skype on the Dev Alpha device
    By lund in forum BlackBerry 10 Dev Devices
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-02-2012, 04:37 PM

Posting Permissions