Hi everyone, does anyone know how I can reach someone at BB to pitch a hardware idea? I know of a market that has been untapped that BB can capitalize on and it fits right in with the current direction their company is moving in, but I don't want to email my idea, I want to pitch it in person in Waterloo. I can't get past the front desk at BB to follow up with this.

Blackberry, if you're seeing this, please message me and we can arrange a meeting. I know of an industry shortfall that only you can solve.

My email is [email protected], or if anyone can get a hold of someone in hardware, please pass along my contact info.

Thanks for any help you can provide
    03-06-15 06:50 AM
    If BB sees the market shortfall I'm looking to address with this, they will be the only company worldwide to have done this
    03-06-15 06:52 AM
    Does no one here have any leads on how I can contact BB's hardware division? This is not simply about a BlackBerry fan wanting some upgraded handset, this is to have an overlooked market addressed. This is coming from an insider of said industry, and I can provide all the insight needed to make a point. Come on folks, help me out if you can.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-15 12:01 PM
    It would be very hard for you to contact the correct person at blackberry to try to figure out if you really HAVE a great idea or if you're just another person that thinks they've invited sliced bread.... again.

If you want to get paid. You'll have to come with them with a patent, and a prototype device.
    Last edited by Damian Montero; 03-23-15 at 01:59 PM.
    moody likes this.
    03-13-15 02:02 PM
    People say this to me all the time. The answer is usually "too costly", or "that's illegal".

Posted via CB10
    03-13-15 02:36 PM
    Most companies refuse to listen anything like this, ever, because it's too easy for someone to later-on think that it was originally their idea to bring back the slider with the curved screen or the passport-sized keyboard phone.
    03-13-15 02:40 PM
    You probably won't be able to get straight into a meeting without first emailing at least the concept of an idea, unless you already personally know someone relatively high upat BlackBerry and they trust you...

If it's something you are able to prototype (as suggested above) then even better

Good or bad ideas should be heard out, it doesn't hurt, but people won't be willing to give up their time easily without some information first...

Check Out TechCraze
    03-13-15 02:44 PM
    What is your idea actually?

Posted via CB10
    03-15-15 12:15 AM
    Sorry I haven't checked this thread in awhile. I'm not an engineer so I don't have a way to develop a prototype device. I also cannot get a patent, as I don't know how to engineer said device. I want to give them a concept idea that they can develop with their own existing (and past) hardware design knowledge. They probably already have patents anyway. I just want to address a major issue in an industry that I work in. I am in finances, but I also work in a telecommunication sector as well. I know the major pitfalls that I, in my position, has to work around almost on a daily basis.

I don't really want to get into any more specifics here. I might just have to draft up an email to them, that way it'll log the date and time of my idea pitch. Some kind of finders fee, or royalty would be nice if they decide to take my idea and run with it. Would suck to give them all the details and they take it and run, without honouring any kind of agreement though. Imagine being responsible for an idea that can bolster a hardware resurgence in BlackBerry but not get some kind of royalty, you wouldn't be happy either.

I'll just be persistent and see if I can get anywhere, if not, I'll eventually see if other companies can help me out.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-15 11:13 AM
    I don't really want to get into any more specifics here. I might just have to draft up an email to them, that way it'll log the date and time of my idea pitch. Some kind of finders fee, or royalty would be nice if they decide to take my idea and run with it. Would suck to give them all the details and they take it and run, without honouring any kind of agreement though. Imagine being responsible for an idea that can bolster a hardware resurgence in BlackBerry but not get some kind of royalty, you wouldn't be happy either.
    Why would they even acknowledge or accept this kind of outside submission? You have nothing but an idea that is almost certainly not unique given that they have thousands of employees who are in the smartphone business. If they do anything similar in the next several years then you will be certain that they stole YOUR idea and have a claim of some kind.

Blackberry is isn't lacking in ideas - they are lacking the resources to implement them.
    03-28-15 11:41 AM
    People say this to me all the time. The answer is usually "too costly", or "that's illegal".

Posted via CB10
    The idea that I have involves merging two existing technologies made for different purposes, already with existing patents, that no one has ever thought to bring together. I have a petition going including professionals who work in the sector that have said they would benefit from said idea...this is not costly, this is definitely not illegal, it's just a merger of two concepts, both of which BlackBerry has done before

Posted via CB10
    03-28-15 11:42 AM
    Why would they even acknowledge or accept this kind of outside submission? You have nothing but an idea that is almost certainly not unique given that they have thousands of employees who are in the smartphone business. If they do anything similar in the next several years then you will be certain that they stole YOUR idea and have a claim of some kind.

Blackberry is isn't lacking in ideas - they are lacking the resources to implement them.
    It's not a new idea, it's a way to solve a diffiency in an industry. It's simple, if they hear me out and like it, then great. It can benefit us both. I thought of them because 1) I am a BlackBerry user and security is the main reason in my decision to approach them, and 2) they have the existing technology.

If they don't want to move forward with me, I'll take my idea and approach someone else.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-15 11:45 AM
    You might as well post your idea on the forums. If it really is a good one then there will be a fair amount of discussion. Then you can see if Crackberry will allow you to write a guest editorial for the front page. That will almost certainly be seen by some Blackberry executives. Short of that you're going to have a hard time convincing anyone that you have a great unique idea based on your opinion alone.
    03-28-15 12:33 PM
    So let's say I post this idea, via here or an editorial. What's to prevent the execs from hardware see it and implement it, or worse yet, an outside party see it on the forums here and develop a prototype and present the idea as theirs?

It's ok, thank you for those who are trying to help and understand, but I'm doing this not only to benefit my work sector, but also to give blackberry the chance to be the first to do it, and lastly, selfish or not, I'd like to earn the chance to make some money off of this. Ideas are not free, and mine are no exception. Thanks again everyone.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-15 12:53 PM
    So let's say I post this idea, via here or an editorial. What's to prevent the execs from hardware see it and implement it, or worse yet, an outside party see it on the forums here and develop a prototype and present the idea as theirs?

It's ok, thank you for those who are trying to help and understand, but I'm doing this not only to benefit my work sector, but also to give blackberry the chance to be the first to do it, and lastly, selfish or not, I'd like to earn the chance to make some money off of this. Ideas are not free, and mine are no exception. Thanks again everyone.

Posted via CB10
    Ermm.. you could sue them? Since the date and timestamps would be there? It's up to you obvs but I would just explain it, maybe leave a few key details out but just the general idea, BlackBerry's only current avenue of idea input form individuals is via the beta zone (having shut down icanmakeitbetter or whatever it was called) so either let the idea out, or sit and wait and risk someone else letting it out then you sitting there with no proof that you had it first...

As long as it's a viable idea and you act fast, I don't think you'll have much of an issue, the threat of someone copyign is usually greater than someone actually copying especially if you leave key details out or the actual application.

Jmho, hope it works out for you

Check Out TechCraze
    03-28-15 01:26 PM
    LinkedIn is your best friend at this point to get your idea to someone at BlackBerry.

If you don't have a linkedin profile, create one. Link up with as many BlackBerry people you can on linkedin. It's the easiest way to get in touch with someone at BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-15 01:41 PM
    The idea that I have involves merging two existing technologies made for different purposes, already with existing patents, that no one has ever thought to bring together. I have a petition going including professionals who work in the sector that have said they would benefit from said idea...this is not costly, this is definitely not illegal, it's just a merger of two concepts, both of which BlackBerry has done before

Posted via CB10
    I hear that such and such thing hasn't been done already, and it usually has (it just might not be cheap). Or it's not the money maker you think it is. I argue with people all the time who think things are easy as printing money. They haven't heard of half of the things I say in response that they needed to have thought about. And they still get miffed that they are not the first person to think of that idea.

You are trying to get paid for an idea you are bringing to them, which they have to execute. If you bring them a customer with their wallet open, then you have something. You mention that two technologies already exist, so I'm not sure what you think you own the rights to.

I guess I am hung up on the lack of specific customer who has their hands out begging for a solution to their problem and willing to throw tons and tons of money for it to be an incentive to work on it. I would need to see a projection report of who would buy it, what quantities they would buy, and what the current industry is making from said thing, etc. I don't get the impression you have done this.

That's like when the latch for opening van trunk door with your foot started being standardized. The commercial made it sound like this one inventor had the idea. No, millions of people had the idea to open the door with the foot, we just didn't design and make vans to implement it! This was just execution and making it safe.

So idea is one part, execution on a great idea is the other part. I forget where it was recently argued, whether its the idea or the execution that is more important, and it seemed the execution argument won due to so many great inventions beat out over crappier inventions due to costs, marketing, hardheadedness, etc. An idea is just an idea until its executed.
    03-29-15 07:25 PM
    I'm not sure why there seems to be so much hating going on here. Not once have I asked for anything other than for anyone here to pass my info to someone they know at BlackBerry, so they could contact me for more info. I'm not asking for anyone's approval. I'm not asking for anyone here to understand either. You know why I know it hasn't been done, because if it has, there wouldn't be the issues that I face on a daily basis, nor would any of the co-operative enterprises that we partner with have the same issues. There wouldn't be countless articles dating back to earlier times, such as via 2006 that indicate the need for a fix that we now know has never come.

Why would BlackBerry know about a shortfall in my industry, since they aren't IN my industry? Again, if you guys don't have the means to help me, that's fine, but please don't start to talk down to me especially since you don't even know what I'm referring to. Some of the best ideas in history have come about from either outside influences or by accident. We see it all the time even today. Management across different industries aren't always as understanding as their front line workers when it comes to the real situations that can challenge any company, any task. I will draft up my presentation on my own, how I choose to illustrate my point. If BlackBerry is interested, we can move forward. If not, I have to reservations to go somewhere else, it's that simple. Do I own any hardware patents? No. I know other manufacturers have used the same technology that BlackBerry has used, so nothings really stopping me from moving forward with this.

Again, thanks for your time.

Posted via CB10
    03-29-15 09:19 PM
    Please come back and let us know if you got to pitch it to anyone at BlackBerry!

Be interested to see how bit pans out and maybe what your idea is! ...and if they will implement it!

Posted via CB10
    03-31-15 03:52 PM
    I'm not sure why there seems to be so much hating going on here. Not once have I asked for anything other than for anyone here to pass my info to someone they know at BlackBerry, so they could contact me for more info.
    Anyone who passes your info to someone they know at Blackberry is going to have to vouch for your idea in some way. You can't just say "Hey, there's someone on CrackBerry who thinks he has a good idea to sell you so I gave him your email address."
    03-31-15 04:10 PM
    Anyone who passes your info to someone they know at Blackberry is going to have to vouch for your idea in some way. You can't just say "Hey, there's someone on CrackBerry who thinks he has a good idea to sell you so I gave him your email address."
    You're right, so that's why I originally asked you guys to pass along my email, instead of asking for an email of someone you know. I will definitely keep you guys informed if I get anywhere with this. Maybe I will, maybe I won't. Time will tell.

Posted via CB10
    03-31-15 04:51 PM
    Moderators, please close this post. It's obvious that we aren't going to get anywhere with this.

Posted via CB10
    03-31-15 06:26 PM
    There is no need to close this.

While the OP may not get in communication with BlackBerry as he wishes, he is certainly entitled to make his request. His post doesn't violate any Forum rules.

And while we're on the topic, there is no need to belittle his request. Constructive criticism is OK, but don't get personal. That does violate Forum rules and guidelines.

Elessar.cm / Moderator
    03-31-15 06:43 PM
    There is no need to close this.

While the OP may not get in communication with BlackBerry as he wishes, he is certainly entitled to make his request. His post doesn't violate any Forum rules.

And while we're on the topic, there is no need to belittle his request. Constructive criticism is OK, but don't get personal. That does violate Forum rules and guidelines.

Elessar.cm / Moderator
    I didn't think anyone was getting personal, just maybe a little taste of "Dragon's Den" to show how prepared or unprepared one can be when approaching these types of meetings.
    03-31-15 07:15 PM
    A "Dragon's Den" atmosphere doesn't belong in these Community forums either. The harshest comments were deleted; similar comments will not be entertained.

For clarification, from the Community Rules and Guidelines we all agreed to upon becoming members:

P.U.P.P.A.H
    (Be Polite, Understanding, Patient, Professional, Attentive and Helpful)

• Be polite. We ask that you keep your language clean and polite.
    • Be understanding and patient. You may be a power user or developer, but the person you’re talking to on the other end may be a complete newbie. Be patient, and provide all details possible if you’re posting about a problem (descriptive thread title always helps).
    • Be a pro. Don’t get into arguments over dumb things. If someone responds in a poor or rude fashion, ignore it. If you notice a pattern of rude or poor behavior from a particular member, report them to our moderators. If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all. In a nutshell, ‘think before you post’.
    • Be attentive and helpful. Answer questions in a timely manner when you can, and provide thoughts and suggestions that might lead to the solution of a members’ problem.
    the_real_mikeyb likes this.
    03-31-15 10:15 PM
27 12