Just curious, I couldn't find the answer in the threads that I've looked at yet, so I figured I'd ask. Currently OS updates that come out for our Blackberries are released per model, per carrier. Some OS's from other carriers usually work fine on other units that are the same model, but they have to be the same model. I'm wondering if on the new BB10 units if the OS releases will be released globally, meaning it will be the same exact OS regardless of handset model? In other words, no more people asking in the forum threads "Will this OS work on my Curve/Pearl/Bold/Torch" or whatever, because the answer would be yes, it works on all units, regardless of model or carrier? I'm really hoping that this will be the case, as it will really make updates that much easier. I like how on the Playbook, it is able to update easily online. I think I've only ever tried that once from my BB, a very long time ago. It took a very long time, and I don't recall if it actually worked or not. That and the only time you saw anything available to upgrade was if the carrier made it available, and that's pretty rare. I would rather be able to have it pushed out on a regular basis to all units, and can choose if you want the most up to date, or a previous version installed. That would be cool!

capT
    08-29-12 02:19 PM
    With the OTA updates, the download server can provide different sets of packages to different devices, presumably based on any number of different pieces of information such as hardware id (model), country, current version and more. That makes it rather more flexible than the previous approach so I don't think you'll see a problem with it.
    08-29-12 11:05 PM
    They could also separate the radio files from the base OS files. That way, they could update the OS without affecting the carrier radio files. If the carrier needs changes to the radio, that could even be an update on its own.
    08-30-12 10:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD