View Poll Results: Will you continue BlackBerry 10 application development?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes- The trade up kept me motivated

7 29.17%
  • Yes- I was into BlackBerry 10 development beforehand

13 54.17%
  • Yes- The trade up didn't sway me at all

2 8.33%
  • No- I'm still going to do BlackBerry 10 development but not my primary platform focus

1 4.17%
  • No- BlackBerry 10 isn't right for me to develop my applications with

0 0%
  • Maybe- Still debating on whether or not to continue BlackBerry 10 development

1 4.17%
    Hey everyone,
    With a batch of emails sent out and the January 21st deadline fast approaching, how many of you will continue BlackBerry 10 app development?
    Personally I was having fun with HTML5 and the webworks SDK. The Html coding was very familiar to me and APIs were easy to implement. I began messing with it first on my personal PlayBook. When I heard about BlackBerry 10 Jam I got pretty excited. I wanted to learn more about what BlackBerry 10 could offer for webworks developers.

About 5 days before the BlackBerry 10 Jam Toronto event, I had gotten and email from RIM saying I qualified for the Dev Alpha prototype device. I was pretty excited but at the same time I also wanted to make the experience worthwhile. RIM had been providing the most support ever to their developers and I thought to myself I should either take the initiative and get better at application development to make good use of the Dev Alpha or give it back to RIM since I know these were in limited supply. I said to myself that I can learn and make the most out of the device. So I learned the basics, and step by step I figured out how to make the basics and later I learned how to work with third party APIs etc, all through HTML.

Later on out for curiosity I picked up C++ still learning and by no means fully comfortable to make an app in native. Now tomorrow I will be returning the development alpha devices to RIM, the BlackBerry 10 Limited Edition trade up is a great incentive, and because of a cascade of events I'll continue to learn more about both C++ and HTML5 in order to fully be well versed in both.

I don't think I'm unique in this regard, I came from a health sciences background and programming has been a part time hobby for me, even without the trade up I still would have been continuing to learn about mobile development. So long answer short how many of you would keep going with BlackBerry development as a primary goal because of the direct influence of BlackBerry 10 Jam or the trade up?
    01-07-13 08:12 PM
    I'm fully expecting to continue BB10 development. Blackberry has made me enough money to want to keep going (not a fortune but nice enough extra money). Very much unlike iOS, on which I actually have the best (fastest running, cool looking) version of one of my apps but virtually no sales.
    kdna likes this.
    01-07-13 09:24 PM
    I wish I had a dev alpha to test my apps!
    01-07-13 09:42 PM
    I'm fully expecting to continue BB10 development. Blackberry has made me enough money to want to keep going (not a fortune but nice enough extra money). Very much unlike iOS, on which I actually have the best (fastest running, cool looking) version of one of my apps but virtually no sales.
    I think one of the problems is overcrowding in the Apple App Store. Although now that brings a new question, if BlackBerry App World becomes just as crowded as the App Store, wouldn't that have the same effect?
    01-07-13 10:02 PM
    I think one of the problems is overcrowding in the Apple App Store. Although now that brings a new question, if BlackBerry App World becomes just as crowded as the App Store, wouldn't that have the same effect?
    Could be solved by having Push notifications from the BB World for new apps that match tags that you've set to follow!

Allow users to follow tags. e.g. pdf, radio, pictures, social
    Allow users to set notification types (one push/week, one push/new app etc...)
    Push notifications that match the user's settings to their phones to alert them of new apps! (good ratings => more people get notified about that app)
    BB_Bmore and goku_vegeta like this.
    01-07-13 10:15 PM
    Could be solved by having Push notifications from the BB World for new apps that match tags that you've set to follow!

Allow users to follow tags. e.g. pdf, radio, pictures, social
    Allow users to set notification types (one push/week, one push/new app etc...)
    Push notifications that match the user's settings to their phones to alert them of new apps! (good ratings => more people get notified about that app)
    That's actually sounding like a very good and reasonable idea. Plus they could also implement a feature that only apps with 3+ stars get pushed to the user. To be quite honest I wonder why this wasn't thought of before :P sounds like it could really be a neat little feature.
    01-07-13 10:31 PM
    The BlackBerry 10 platform is the way of the future.
    goku_vegeta likes this.
    01-07-13 11:22 PM