Hi folks,

I was just installing my app to debug on the Dev Alpha and had a problem: "result::failure 500 /pps/system/navigator/control: navigator service failed".

So I rebooted (or tried) my Dev Alpha and now it is showing RED BATTERY ICON with an EXCLAMATION MARK in it.

I can't seem to get it back to life. I've plugged into wall charger for some time, never had an issue before and would always be able to bring it back. I hooked it to Desktop software and tried Retry to connect a few times but won't connect. Keeps making that USB-connection "ding-on" then "ding-off" a few seconds later, doesn't stay attached by USB. I tried pressing power and volume up/down together, not able to get past red battery exclamation mark icon.

Help!

Sincerely,
    Edy
    12-15-12 12:07 PM
    Download the Dev Alpha Autoloader from https://developer.blackberry.com/nat....0.09.1675.exe.

Make sure your device is unplugged and start the downloaded application. When the command prompt says "Connecting to bootrom..." plug in your Dev Alpha and hit the power button.

This might fix it, but it will also wipe and reset everything.. EVERYTHING!
    12-15-12 12:19 PM
    Thanks. I was hoping to keep some of the apps I already downloaded on there, but I need my Dev Alpha for developing purposes. The few photos I have on there can be trashed too, I don't care.

Will Blackberry App World at least remember which apps I downloaded to my account, so I can download them again after the wipe? Or is that all gone too?

I will try one last thing... Blackberry Desktop Manager latest edition before I resort to the Autoloader. Will update on my progress here.
    12-15-12 12:26 PM
    Yep, you're able to see the apps you've previously downloaded. I'm not sure if it's all the apps, because the App World was also renewed. But you never know. Good luck!
    12-15-12 12:28 PM
    I found this link as well:

BB10 Dev Alpha - How to recharge battery when drai... - BlackBerry Support Community Forums

Somewhere in there it says to stop where it says to upgrade the device, you stop and plug into wall. This may get it past that red battery icon, debrick it without overwriting anything. I'll try.
    12-15-12 12:31 PM
    OK... autoloader gets somewhere... turns the light green, and says it is writing some Signature Trailer stuff to the device. However, still can't get past that Red Battery Exclamation mark icon after the Signature Trailer is written.
    12-15-12 02:00 PM
    Still No Luck... Here's my DOS prompt screen:

--------

RIM Wireless Device Command-Line Auto-Programmer Version 3.10.0.5 (Win32) [Sep 25 2012 18:09:13]
    Copyright 2012 Research In Motion Limited

Connecting to Bootrom:
    Enter password (10 left): *****
    Connected

[ Uploading RAM Image 0x80131230 ] [############## 100 ##############]

QCFMv1/v2 Hybrid File
    containing: Radio

Header Version: 2.0
    Num Chunk Headers: 3
    Headers Length: 65312

Chunk Header:
    Type: 0x0C
    Chunk Header:
    Type: 0x8C
    Chunk Header:
    Type: 0x0A
    Signature Trailer:
    EC521_512 Signer: 0x48584E51 (QNXH-OS-1)
    EC521_256 Signer: 0x4C584E51 (QNXL-OS-1)
    [ Writing 0x006FC000 ] [############## 100 ##############]

QCFMv1/v2 Hybrid File
    containing: IFS, OS, User File System

IFS/OS Version: 10.0.9.1675 DEV
    Hardware ID: 0x06001A06 RIM BlackBerry Device
    Metrics Version: 3.18
    Build Date: Dec 08 2012
    Build Time: 19:24:29
    Build User: ec_agent
    STP Protocol Ver: 0.0.4 (release OS)

Header Version: 2.0
    Num Chunk Headers: 6
    Headers Length: 65120

Chunk Header:
    Type: 0x06
    Chunk Header:
    Type: 0x08
    Chunk Header:
    Type: 0x06
    Chunk Header:
    Type: 0x05
    Chunk Header:
    Type: 0x09
    Chunk Header:
    Type: 0x89
    Signature Trailer:
    EC521_512 Signer: 0x48584E51 (QNXH-OS-1)
    EC521_256 Signer: 0x4C584E51 (QNXL-OS-1)
    [ Writing 0x0DBD8000 ] [############## 100 ##############]

Done.

Done.

---------------------

I try to turn it on, get the same RED BATTERY icon with an exclamation point inside it. Then it turns off again.
    12-15-12 02:22 PM
    WOW!

Ok so after like 20 times of trying this on my WinXP desktop, I copied AutoLoad-DevAlpha-10.0.09.1675 to my LAPTOP and hooked it up there, ran it, went through the exact same "motions" of loading the ROM images and so on. Then showed AGAIN the red battery icon, then just before I threw it against a brick wall (joking) I finally decided to give it one more "three-finger salute" with power button-volume-up/down and it booted!

Holy F&*&... What a waste of several hours! But glad to have my DevAlpha back... Now back to working on my APP!!
    12-15-12 03:09 PM
    WOW!

Ok so after like 20 times of trying this on my WinXP desktop, I copied AutoLoad-DevAlpha-10.0.09.1675 to my LAPTOP and hooked it up there, ran it, went through the exact same "motions" of loading the ROM images and so on. Then showed AGAIN the red battery icon, then just before I threw it against a brick wall (joking) I finally decided to give it one more "three-finger salute" with power button-volume-up/down and it booted!

Holy F&*&... What a waste of several hours! But glad to have my DevAlpha back... Now back to working on my APP!!
    I had a similar problem on Thur night just before the port a thon. The device just hangs on the BlackBerry 10 logo screen and it won't boot. Did the 3 finger nothing. I was freaking out. I then downloaded the exe update and ran the sucker. It booted the same with the bb10 logo screen. I thought WTF and then a few seconds later it went into the white Blackberry logo screen and booted fine.

If it doesn't boot just reinstall the OS.
    12-16-12 05:42 PM
    I had the same problem. I don't use the Alpha other than testing apps so refreshing the OS was a no brainer
    12-17-12 07:09 AM
    I have a feeling this is related to the latest OS update, because I never had this problem before. Coincidence or not? I was running my DevAlpha and rebooting a million times with the last OS. Now I have ended up in this "red battery icon with exclamation mark" boot-up issue since the update. Every time I turn off the device, it won't turn back on, even on a full charge. Maybe it is affecting only the Dev Alpha A?

I have had to reinstall the OS now 3 times within the last 3 days, ever since I updated the OS... and even when I try to reinstall using the Autoupdate feature, it doesn't cure the problem immediately. It goes through the "motions" and connects, turns light green, I see the boot ROM load in and a bunch of QNX files, and then it says "Done. Done.". But then I go to boot it and still NO LUCK. So I keep doing it over and over again, eventually it works but I can't replicate how and why it works and when it does. It just decides to work all of a sudden and then boots. I've tried all manner of pressing different button combinations (power only, power for long time, power and volume up/down keys, etc) and can't figure out what difference, if any, it makes.

I wonder if anyone else has noticed this happening more often or knows what could possibly be causing it to happen, if related to the recent OS update or not, and if it affects only the Dev Alpha A's?

Thankfully my app is tested and submitted, so I have time to chill now... but MAN I was freaking out on the weekend when I was in the last stage of testing/deploying and submitting my app to AppWorld and couldn't get my DevAlpha to work.
    12-17-12 03:29 PM
    Yeah I also was attending the Marmalade SDK port-a-thon and got my app in on Saturday, so I was really panicking too, as I didn't want to miss the deadline for the cash prize. :-)
    12-17-12 03:31 PM
    I could not debrick mine. Same exclamation mark thing. Reloaded OS twice with autoloader. No difference. What on earth is going on?
    12-17-12 05:47 PM
    So I have debricked mine 3 times already... but always struggled for a long time. I tried to remember if I did anything special just before it booted back up.

Here is the sequence:

First, I reboot my laptop and open command prompt, run autoloader and then plug Devalpha to USB and turn it on.

Autoloader asks me for password, I type it and proceeds to load OS with green light on Devalpha.

After I unplug or try turning it on while still plugged but still gives red battery exclamation icon, and use autoloader AGAIN and AGAIN and AGAIN.... like 5 or 6 times.

Not sure if it makes any difference.

So then I unplugged from USB and plugged into wall charger and hit power but immediately unplug or plug wall charger back in while red light on, and then it booted. I also tried the power-volume up-down too.

So I don't know exactly what did it, if maybe it is something to do with when you plug in the wall charger during the red light sequence, the 3-button press reset or what.

If it happens again maybe I will try the wall charger method sooner and see if that works, without reloading the OS (which does not seem to solve anything directly on multiple tries anyways).

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    12-17-12 09:54 PM
    I could not debrick mine. Same exclamation mark thing. Reloaded OS twice with autoloader. No difference. What on earth is going on?
    I had that problem too, auto loader didn't work. What worked though was repairing it through desktop software. You'll have to manually turn it on again when it searches for boot rom.
    12-17-12 10:17 PM
    It looks like the recipe for debricking is to reload OS and do hard resets as many times as your patience allows. That's at least how I debricked mine: 10 hard resets and 3 OS reloads.

After that, just keep it plugged in. Don't EVER reboot or turn it off.
    12-18-12 07:49 AM
    Uhh...I had this issue with a Bold way back when. Couldn't charge, and the phone would not turn on. We're ~2 months from launch, not liking the sound of this.
    12-18-12 11:13 AM
    Uhh...I had this issue with a Bold way back when. Couldn't charge, and the phone would not turn on. We're ~2 months from launch, not liking the sound of this.
    Don't worry. I think only dev versions are more likely to have problems like that.
    12-18-12 12:15 PM
    Bro, this is a ALPHA version for DEVELOPERS not final users. Totally normal if we found some issues but we as developers should know how things work and this is not a end version.
    12-18-12 05:47 PM
    My Dev Alpha is up and running again, thanks to the instructions given in this thread.

I now have a better understanding of what alpha hardware means.
    12-18-12 08:41 PM
    I also bet the battery has lower mAh than normal to keep costs down, and since it is usually being used for developing and testing it is almost always a few feet away from a charging source anyways so no big deal. Who knows what all those charging cycles on a "sealed" battery over that many months could have done...

As far as bricking in the consumer versions, I am sure this issue was noticed and taken care of already.... So far nobody has mentioned it happening on Dev Alpha B. Plus the battery can be removed on those which may be a solution, whereas Dev Alpha A never really disconnects completely from power so it probably gets stuck in some strange loop that prohibits reboot.

Not to mention, the camera on my Dev Alpha A (prior to this latest OS) was showing a blank screen 90% of the time and was so sluggish it was barely usable. It has gotten way better so I guess that is what Alpha means!

Still love my Alpha though!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    12-18-12 09:57 PM
    BB10 BATTERY ICON SOLUTION

note: the trick ... very simple... wait 3 minutes BEFORE apply ... :-)
    the combitaion of key used is VOL+ VOL - ( NO OTHER !)
    watch again the plug / unplug of USB cable...
    THAT'S ALL ...

Regards !
    12-23-12 12:08 PM
    I have tried the plugging in charger with three button press but nothing has happened on my Z10. It seems to be stuck in the same place.
    01-07-14 11:48 PM