Hello. I have a Bold 9930 on Sprint. Today I went to cut my SIM. I stick it into the Z10 Limited Edition device and its not recognizing the network...

How do you set up the network to make it work on Sprint?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

04-09-13 12:55 AM
    Hello. I have a Bold 9930 on Sprint. Today I went to cut my SIM. I stick it into the Z10 Limited Edition device and its not recognizing the network...

You don't as you Z10 is not compatible with Sprint's Network, as in, it's impossible. Sorry.
    04-09-13 02:16 AM

With Sprint being a CDMA carrier, the Z10 won't work on the network unfortunately

Posted via CB10
    04-09-13 07:16 AM

The SIM card in the Sprint 9930 is only for use when traveling internationally. Sprint being a CDMA carrier, they do not use a SIM card to identify their subscribers.

Posted via CB10
    04-09-13 07:31 AM
    The LEZ10 is GSM only and even though it's unlocked, it wont work on all GSM carriers. For example, my LEZ10 is stuck as Wifi only because I can't change the APN. A factory unlocked phone and you can't change the APN. So yeah, no way will it ever work on sprint, which doesn't even have the required network technology.

Posted via my Shiny Red LE Z10
    04-09-13 08:19 AM
    The LEZ10 is GSM only and even though it's unlocked, it wont work on all GSM carriers. For example, my LEZ10 is stuck as Wifi only because I can't change the APN. A factory unlocked phone and you can't change the APN. So yeah, no way will it ever work on sprint, which doesn't even have the required network technology.

Certain carriers will allow you to change the APN, others will not.

Posted via CB10
    04-09-13 08:23 AM
    Certain carriers will allow you to change the APN, others will not.

Posted via CB10
    Please explain how that would make a difference.

Which carrier let's you change the APN? And how would that help you? The APN settings are applied automatically based on the sim that you insert. So if you inserted a card that allowed you to change the apn, than you probably didn't need to change it in the first place.

If what you say is true, than it still wouldn't help anything. See you can put in one carriers SIM card, change the APN around, but if you switch the SIM to the carrier that you actually want to use, than the APN automatically changes again.

The result is still the same.The phone does not work on most GSM carriers. If your carrier doesn't sell the Z10, than as far as I know you probably won't be able to use it. Tons of people are complaining about it for a reason. It's factory unlocked, therefore you should be allowed to change the APN to anything you want at anytime. Period. I can't think of any other smartphone besides the Z10 that has this problem. Even the "restrictive" iOS allows users to fairly easily change their APN.

04-09-13 08:40 AM

Which carrier let's you change the APN? And how would that help you? The APN settings are applied automatically based on the sim that you insert. So if you inserted a card that allowed you to change the apn, than you probably didn't need to change it in the first place.

If what you say is true, than it still wouldn't help anything. See you can put in one carriers SIM card, change the APN around, but if you switch the SIM to the carrier that you actually want to use, than the APN automatically changes again.

The result is still the same.The phone does not work on most GSM carriers. If your carrier doesn't sell the Z10, than as far as I know you probably won't be able to use it. Tons of people are complaining about it for a reason. It's factory unlocked, therefore you should be allowed to change the APN to anything you want at anytime. Period. I can't think of any other smartphone besides the Z10 that has this problem. Even the "restrictive" iOS allows users to fairly easily change their APN.

My carrier Bell, and all the Canadian carriers do. For instance on my 9900 I can change the APN to whatever I want, although on the Z10 this is blocked off. We've seen people in the UK who can change their APNs on their Z10. Also given the fact that AT&T does not allow for their users to turn of LTE is another demonstration of carrier control over the device. Factory unlocked or not, as soon as you put in a SIM card your device is subject to all the rules that carrier has in place. These restrictions vary from carrier to carrier.

Posted via CB10
    04-09-13 08:45 AM

Also I wasn't referring to just the Sprint situation the OP is in. I was making a general statement about the APN issue

Posted via CB10
    04-09-13 08:46 AM
    Also I wasn't referring to just the Sprint situation the OP is in. I was making a general statement about the APN issue

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, I was replying based on the APN situation.

So am I right in saying that if your carrier allows you to change the APN - the changes would dissappear once you've inserted the SIM card you need?

I use straight talk with an AT&T SIM. That gives me the coverage of AT&T, but with a cheap price and no contract. I love it. My Z10 sees the SIM and turns my phone into a AT&T phone. Complete with AT&T bloat ware and boot screen and APN settings. The settings for straight talk are different than AT&T's settings.

If I buy and insert a carrier SIM that allows me to change the apn can I save the changes and keep them once I insert my straight talk SIM? If not than I'm still in the same situation. So would everyone else, what benefit is there to changing the APN if you can only change it when certain SIM cards are used and the changes can't be used with different SIMs?

I am hoping I am wrong, I'd gladly pay the money for a SIM from Canada or the UK if it means I can get straight talk working on my Z10.

Keep in mind, this is a factory unlocked phone. Lol there is no reason for us to have to deal with such an issue on a factory unlocked phone. After all, being able to change the APN and use it with any SIM is the entire point of unlocking a phone. Isn't it?

04-09-13 09:02 AM
    One of my friends replaced the mother board, in his LE, with one from his carrier. Phone works great on VZW.

Easiest thing to do would be to get a prepaid sim, from another carrier.

Posted via CB10
    kdna likes this.
    04-09-13 09:48 AM
    Sprint is researching the issue. Based on the response to this thread, the situation seems bleak at best. Reps from Sprint are asking for a "DEC" number. They say they need this to activate the device on their network.

Where can I find this number on my LE? My contract ends in October so adding a 3rd line on another carrier atm is out of the question.

Anyone else on Sprint with a LE?

04-09-13 11:30 AM
    Sprint is researching the issue. Based on the response to this thread, the situation seems bleak at best. Reps from Sprint are asking for a "DEC" number. They say they need this to activate the device on their network.

Where can I find this number on my LE? My contract ends in October so adding a 3rd line on another carrier atm is out of the question.

I don't have an LE or Z10 to check, but have you looked under the battery? Every BB I've had to date has had all the necessary network related stuff, such as ESN, under the battery. Certainly worth looking.
    04-09-13 12:26 PM

The DEC is the same as HEX, which is the secondary string of numbers, before or after the ESN.
    rockitnyc likes this.
    04-09-13 03:52 PM
    Dissect Q10 insides when released on Sprint and put them in your LEZ10

Posted with my AT&T BlackBerry Z10
    04-12-13 01:07 PM
    Sorry, impossible. This is not like the Pre- to the Pre2 where you could just cut remove the circuitry out of the pre and put it into the Pre2. Those devices had the advantage of being similar in design, drivers and size among other things you will not be able to take the Q10 apart and put that int he Z10 LE either, I am sorry.

Sprint and Verizon are still on the pathetic network type that is CDMA. My advice, tmobile.
    04-12-13 05:27 PM