I came for the kitten photo.
    kbz1960, peter9477 and Toodeurep like this.
    12-14-12 06:11 PM
    Hey sith, peter, really appreciate the uploads, but would either of you mind uploading the 100% resolution images?

I'm interested in the jpg compression, noise stuff like that. That to me would be a great place to start comparing to the best on other platforms. Colour and WB look great though!
    12-15-12 03:05 AM
    Hey sith, peter, really appreciate the uploads, but would either of you mind uploading the 100% resolution images?

I'm interested in the jpg compression, noise stuff like that. That to me would be a great place to start comparing to the best on other platforms. Colour and WB look great though!
    I put the raw original at http://nanonet.ca/downloads/sunset.jpg temporarily. No guarantees how long it stays there, though I'm more likely to forget it's there for 3 months than to remove it any time soon...

Please note that was actually taken through a window with some lights not far behind me in the kitchen. There are likely some minor reflections or some reflected light coming off the window, even though I had my hands cupped around the camera to try to block it. Also my hands were warm and the window cold, so some condensation was forming near the edges, and that might have an effect too. Just to say I wouldn't draw strong conclusions about this image being representative of much, except as a minimum of what is going to be possible with the final release.

(Edit: that said, I see no sign of the negative effects I mentioned when I look at the full view, so I probably did a decent job keeping them out.)
    Qaxl likes this.
    12-15-12 12:21 PM
    Ahh, thanks for and explanation too, though yeah its just a ballpark. Its pretty nice tho, lens seems pretty sharp. Wonder
    Hoping the L will have a fast lens and retain good detail and range.

And ahaha cool some facts are in the metadata:

Orientation of image: 1
    File change date and time: 2012:12:13 16:54:14
    Image input equipment manufacturer: Research In Motion
    Image input equipment model: Blackberry BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha
    Software used: Blackberry 10.0.9.1675
    Exposure time: 0.04999
    F number: 2.65
    Exposure program: 0
    ISO speed rating: 0
    Shutter speed: 5
    Aperture: 3
    Brightness: 0
    Exposure bias: 0
    Maximum lens aperture: 3
    Subject distance: 0
    Metering mode: 2
    Light source: 1
    Flash: 16
    Lens focal length: 4.34
    Flash energy: 0
    Custom rendered: 1
    Exposure mode: 0
    White balance: 0
    Digital zoom ratio: 1.00002
    Focal length in 35 mm film: 34
    Scene capture type: 3
    Gain control: 256
    Contrast: 0
    Saturation: 0
    Sharpness: 0
    Subject distance range: 0
    12-16-12 01:29 AM
    Did a bit of editing to bring out the shadows

http://i.imgur.com/qB3Mr.jpg

Not bad...
    mikeo007 likes this.
    12-16-12 04:42 PM
    Does the camera app in the beta OS10 offer any sort of HDR capture options? That picture of the tree in the second post, as well as the sunset could really use some HDR magic.
    12-16-12 05:03 PM
    Does the camera app in the beta OS10 offer any sort of HDR capture options? That picture of the tree in the second post, as well as the sunset could really use some HDR magic.
    Nothing on the Dev devices supports HDR, and true HDR is quite intensive on processors/RAM. I am not sure we would see that come to a mobile device. (Merging of multiple exposure images etc). HDR filters could certainly be applies, but likely they would have limited options when compared to a desktop program. That could be a nice slot Adobe could fill on these.
    12-18-12 11:02 AM
    Nothing on the Dev devices supports HDR, and true HDR is quite intensive on processors/RAM. I am not sure we would see that come to a mobile device. (Merging of multiple exposure images etc). HDR filters could certainly be applies, but likely they would have limited options when compared to a desktop program. That could be a nice slot Adobe could fill on these.
    Some Android devices already do HDR, as does the iPhone. I'd say its entirely possible for BB10 to do it if the camera hardware is flexible enough. It's too bad it doesn't have this ability yet
    12-18-12 11:16 AM
    Some Android devices already do HDR, as does the iPhone. I'd say its entirely possible for BB10 to do it if the camera hardware is flexible enough. It's too bad it doesn't have this ability yet
    Capturing the image and merging photos is only half the battle. Being able to process and edit that is significantly more challenging and resource intensive. I did not specify in my initial response and thats my fault. Take a look at Photoshop HDR imaging, and the details that can be brought out while processing these photos. Compare that to the iPhone device HDR image that simply merges the three different exposure images. As the TimeWarp camera takes a series of images over a second or two, I dont see why they couldnt do an HDR image that just merges three of them together. But the processing of said Image, adjusting detail, colors, exposures, etc etc is where I would think the phone would stumble.
    12-18-12 12:23 PM
    But the processing of said Image, adjusting detail, colors, exposures, etc etc is where I would think the phone would stumble.
    Isn't this something that could be done in OpenGL ES? Hardware acceleration makes a world of difference in how much CPU is needed for certain things. I see lots of references to this when googling, but I'm not familiar enough with OpenGL ES yet to know whether it is possible, and I'm not familiar at all with HDR algorithms.
    12-18-12 12:41 PM
    Isn't this something that could be done in OpenGL ES? Hardware acceleration makes a world of difference in how much CPU is needed for certain things. I see lots of references to this when googling, but I'm not familiar enough with OpenGL ES yet to know whether it is possible, and I'm not familiar at all with HDR algorithms.
    It might be possible, but I wouldnt know how to implement it. I would imagine anyone writing a TRUE HDR application for BB10 might stand to make a good amount of money. After all, they can pull a card in for the camera into the HDR app itself.
    12-18-12 12:45 PM
    Capturing the image and merging photos is only half the battle. Being able to process and edit that is significantly more challenging and resource intensive. I did not specify in my initial response and thats my fault. Take a look at Photoshop HDR imaging, and the details that can be brought out while processing these photos. Compare that to the iPhone device HDR image that simply merges the three different exposure images. As the TimeWarp camera takes a series of images over a second or two, I dont see why they couldnt do an HDR image that just merges three of them together. But the processing of said Image, adjusting detail, colors, exposures, etc etc is where I would think the phone would stumble.
    Gotcha. Even just merging the photos with different exposures makes a world of different I find. As long as your smart about your lighting conditions when shooting.

Since BB10 already has a pseudo burst feature with the face correct thing, hopefully they'll be able to implement HDR down the road.
    12-18-12 01:47 PM
    It might be possible, but I wouldnt know how to implement it. I would imagine anyone writing a TRUE HDR application for BB10 might stand to make a good amount of money. After all, they can pull a card in for the camera into the HDR app itself.
    Found this in the camera API documentation:

Camera Image Buffer Access

The camera service provides read access to image data from different stages in the imaging datapath (image buffers). Applications access buffers by binding callback functions or events to a particular stage of the imaging datapath.
    So at the very least, a third party should be able to throw together a quick HDR solution. As for the post processing, you may be right that the hardware simply isn't capable of making the required calculations in a reasonable timeframe. But even if it just matched the HDR performance of Android or iPhone, I think it would make the camera that much more useful.
    Sith_Apprentice likes this.
    12-18-12 02:42 PM
    Hey sith and peter do you think the pics below were taken from the a Z device?

A story by BB10 @
    12-25-12 09:06 AM
    Get out of town! That's a low light photo?! Wow I can't wait to get a Z10 or whatever they end up calling it in hand.
    12-25-12 09:42 AM
    Guys can u take photos on the gold update cause after I updated my dev alpha A to gold,it crashes on camera.Is anyone facing the same issue maybe my download got corupted
    12-27-12 11:18 AM
    Guys can u take photos on the gold update cause after I updated my dev alpha A to gold,it crashes on camera.Is anyone facing the same issue maybe my download got corupted
    My "A" has been working just fine with the Gold update, including camera and everything else. Note that I've always used the AutoLoad approach to re-flash it, rather than merely updating, though I know others for whom the update approach worked equally well.
    12-27-12 11:46 AM
    Quick question. I know the devices have timeshift feature where multishots are taken. But in the normal camera how fast can u snap a pic? Can i hold on the capture button for rapid shots like the Sgs3? Also will it feature the ability to take a Picture in video mode?

These pictures are very nice. Shouldn't be disappointed.
    01-02-13 01:20 AM
    Quick question. I know the devices have timeshift feature where multishots are taken. But in the normal camera how fast can u snap a pic? Can i hold on the capture button for rapid shots like the Sgs3? Also will it feature the ability to take a Picture in video mode?

These pictures are very nice. Shouldn't be disappointed.
    Yes you can, change to "Burst" mode. The images are named accordingly as well. IE IMG_0000001 - IMG_0000001_1 -IMG_0000001_n -

And another picture is here: http://forums.crackberry.com/crackbe...ml#post7818870
    01-02-13 09:17 AM
44 12