Help!!! I just got my Dev Alpha C, and I believe that one of the SIM card slot contacts is broken. It cannot read any SIM card!!!

What can I do now?
    04-22-13 12:26 PM
    I would contact BB
    04-22-13 12:53 PM
    I am almost sure they will answer that the phone/SIM/mobile data functionality is not guaranteed, that the device is made for testing applications and I can still do that and use wifi connectivity

I would try to repair it, if I knew anything about electronics :/
    04-22-13 12:57 PM
    You can see the broken contact on the left
    [Dev Alpha C] Broken SIM card slot-2013-04-22-20.00.18.jpg

Is it repairable?
    04-22-13 01:18 PM
    According to the pic, there is no middle copper contact. You can try little do-it-yourself repair job by putting a small copper piece(wire) just to make contact between the phone mainboard and the sim card(I think you understand what I want to say). But it's better to contact BlackBerry first before doing anything on your own.
    04-22-13 01:44 PM
    I would certainly contact BB Dev Support. From https://developer.blackberry.com/blackberry10devalpha/:

Support

In the event you run into device hardware issues with the alpha device you received (ie won't power on) please contact us at [email protected] and provide the following information:

• Your name
    • The OS version (On the device, tap the Settings icon > About > General > OS Version)
    • An overview of the issue you experienced
    • Steps used to reproduce the issue
    • Reproducibility of the issue (constant, frequent, seldom, just once)

For questions related to the Limited Edition Trade-up program please visit the FAQ or post your question on our forum
    04-22-13 02:24 PM
    Thank you very much, Innovatology!! I will email them right now thanks, I completely missed the part about contacting them

btw I am not confortable with electronics, soldering, etc. ... but I found a little dirty workaround, I put a small piece of tin foil between the SIM card and the missing/broken contact and... it somewhat works (it gets loose if I move too much the phone)
    04-22-13 04:33 PM
    So, did they answer you?
    04-28-13 07:10 PM
    I got a response this weekend, unfortunately they told me the exact thing I expected:

Hello Fabizio,

Are you able to connect to a WiFi network? This will allow you to test any online aspects of an application.

The only troubleshooting to try is to reseat the SIM and reboot the device. If that fails the only option available is to connect with WiFi for the time being to test any online content for applications.

At this time we are unable to replace devices that are in a mostly working state. This is due to the demand for the devices and the limited quantity we have available.

I do apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you.

Sincerely,
    Amanda
    Senior Analyst - BlackBerry Technical Support
    04-29-13 02:40 AM
    It's very bad. It's better to find a mobile repair shop and they should be able to fix it somehow.
    04-29-13 02:56 AM
    This is what I am going to do, I was waiting for an answer just to be sure. I will let you know how it goes!
    04-29-13 03:57 AM
    I did not find any help in the phone repair shop down here, they asked for 50 euros to "replace the part". First of all, I really do not think they have the Q10 parts and then... 50 euros ?!?!? I do not need replacement, I need a fix
    05-03-13 02:50 AM
    50€ for a replacement of the piece. It's not really expansive.
    But maybe if you wait 2-3 weeks, we will get some replacing parts directly on the web.
    I don't think this repair is really difficult if you've a new pin to replace the missing one. Only a small soldering directly on the connector and it can works.
    05-03-13 03:05 AM
    50euro for one fcking pin? Are they insane?
    faquick likes this.
    05-03-13 03:44 AM
    borceg,

I thought the exact same thing! Unfortunately I am not confident with soldering it myself, so I need to find someone to do that for me. But 50 euros... Crazy!
    05-03-13 04:44 AM
    If you have a pin I can solder it for you but I think I'm a bit far... I'm in Belgium...
    05-03-13 07:26 AM
    Same happned with my new Q10 same day i brought the device while trying to put the sim.. that slot got damaged..
    and in Dubai.. parts not availble still.. no idea what to do.. ?
    05-04-13 03:55 AM
    Similar situation for me when i got my Dev Alpha A
    05-11-13 04:19 AM
    Same with me too,please help me to fix this sim card slot issue
    03-04-14 07:28 AM
    Dear Sanjay,

I have same problem,
    I hope this solution is not too late.

My device is Dev alpha C and i convert to BlackBerry Q10.
    i broke that cooper on sim card reader.

the solution is:

2. New 1 PC Sim Card Slot Tray Holder Repair Replacement for Blackberry Z10 Q10 | eBay
    3. Soldering Hot Air

Problem Solve.
    06-29-14 09:57 PM