Has anyone figured out a way to save the APN settings on the Dev Alpha?
    06-25-12 09:16 PM
    Having the same problem.
    06-25-12 11:05 PM
    Same problem here.
    06-30-12 07:15 AM
    I think there is disabled option to save apn becouse if you put sim card in BB there is no data transmision at carrier operator so this apn settings it's not work.
    07-09-12 07:11 AM
    ...if you put sim card in BB there is no data transmision at carrier operator...
    Uh...what?? There certainly IS data transmission.
    07-20-12 03:45 PM
    Yeah it just doesn't let you save APN I can't find anywhere in /pps/ that it would save APN too either (must be hidden?). So I can't use internet.

Edit: Yes, I can confirm.
    Last edited by xsacha; 07-20-12 at 08:30 PM.
    07-20-12 08:14 PM
    Even on the new dev alpha update you cant save the internet apn? Can someone confirm?
    07-20-12 08:20 PM
    Even on the new dev alpha update you cant save the internet apn? Can someone confirm?
    There is a "SAVE" button, but it appears not to actually save anything.
    07-21-12 04:03 AM
    anyone figure this out?
    08-30-12 03:28 PM
    There isn't even a SAVE button anymore in the new build

Any workarounds? Except having to use it all the time on wifi coverage
    09-27-12 07:36 AM
    There isn't even a SAVE button anymore in the new build

Any workarounds? Except having to use it all the time on wifi coverage
    What are you talking about "having to use it all the time on wifi coverage" ??

Works fine on AT&T 4G without having to do anything.
    09-27-12 08:52 AM
    Yeah guys... I am up in canada and I can confirm it works perfectly on the ROGERS network with no need to mess with APN settings. Those of you having troubles should post where you are and what carrier you are on.

I know when I put in the sim card it didn't work until I restarted the phone... And then once it restarted it came up with 3G instantly (but the internet didn't work) I had to let it sit "thinking" (or transmitting data) for about 2 minutes. After 2 minutes the familier "BlackBerry" appeared next to the 3G and everything worked.

I should note that since the first time it now connects instantly when I restart the device it no longer takes 2 minutes to "find" the bis connection

Speaking of which... Assuming everyone here has accounts with BIS / BES still? Otherwise maybe that is your problem
    09-27-12 11:52 AM
    Speaking of which... Assuming everyone here has accounts with BIS / BES still? Otherwise maybe that is your problem
    You do not need BIS/BES.
    09-27-12 11:57 AM
    I think it has been stated already, I can't remember where, but AT&T, Bell, Rogers & Telus should work fine because they have everything setup properly. Other carriers are hit and miss.

When I got my sim card from Bell, I basically told them I was putting it in a LTE PlayBook.
    09-27-12 12:07 PM
    You do not need BIS/BES.
    That's what I thought but I was confused to see the "BlackBerry" icon appear. Thanks for clearing that up.

Lol I went in to rogers for my micro sim and showed the guy the Dev Alpha and he was like "holy crap where did you get that!!! How did I not know such a device existed."
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    09-27-12 01:08 PM
    That's what I thought but I was confused to see the "BlackBerry" icon appear. Thanks for clearing that up.

Lol I went in to rogers for my micro sim and showed the guy the Dev Alpha and he was like "holy crap where did you get that!!! How did I not know such a device existed."
    I just got my alpha B device and I'm going back to Canada. Did u pay for the sim card how much and how does the data work on it. I'm with rogers also Toronto though
    09-27-12 11:17 PM
    It seems North America networks work on the Dev Alpha. I'm on the UK and I can't get a SIM to work with the Dev Alpha. it recognises the SIM card and network but I can't use the data.

Anyone else in the UK get a SIM card to work on their Dev Alpha?

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk
    09-29-12 06:51 AM
    Yes but usa is very different from cdn as well at&t sims where given out with the first alpha for the us residents. Everyone else had none.
    09-29-12 07:41 AM
    I just got my alpha B device and I'm going back to Canada. Did u pay for the sim card how much and how does the data work on it. I'm with rogers also Toronto though
    I believe the micro sim was $10? I really don't remember to be honest. I had them switch my account over to the micro sim and I just swap it back and forth between my Dev Alpha and my 9900 (Google making a micro sim adapter as it is super easy.)

Data works great but don't expect the Dev Alpha to be very practical for everyday use. No native email client (though the browser is awesome at web clients), no sms, no out going calls, and only incoming calls if you have a Bluetooth headset to your ear (it doesn't ring the phone only the headset.) That said browser performance is super fast on rogers H+ I cannot even imagine seeing it run at LTE speeds, AppWorld downloads are fast and smooth (no more hour glassing finally), BBM on BB10 is crazy awesome (I am one of the lucky people who still has a huge group of BBM contacts so I will often use my Dev Alpha for a couple days forward my calls to another number and just go without sms contact from any non bbm users.)

The simple things impress me about BB10 though for example, toggling WiFi or Bluetooth in the drop down menu results in a instant connection to a saved pairing or connection.
    09-29-12 11:50 AM
    ok that makes more sense i see what you did ok cool
    it wasn't an extra sim with just data on it like the usa alpha
    09-29-12 05:26 PM
    While the info highlights BBM as a item that may not work, I assume it's the same for data in general.

The following Canadian service providers are fully configured: Telus, Bell, Rogers, Globalive, Sasktel, and MTS. The following US service provider is fully configured: AT&T.
    All others, the APN configs cannot be set.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    09-30-12 10:02 PM
    The reason was to have the alpha outside and no need for wifi to test and show friends. Don't really want to pay for data and switch out sim everytime. Easier if was like the first alpha from for the states heread they where given free sims
    10-01-12 07:05 AM
    Is it just me or does the Dev Alpha now require BIS service? I was using a SIM card from a data stick before the update and things were fine. Now I'm constantly told that there is no internet connection.
    10-01-12 09:51 AM
    The reason was to have the alpha outside and no need for wifi to test and show friends. Don't really want to pay for data and switch out sim everytime. Easier if was like the first alpha from for the states heread they where given free sims
    Same boat than DJ here (France): unfortunately no carrier w/ support (I'm Vodafone/SFR).
    Thanks Bla1ze for confirmation about APN change.
    bbquincar : I use my 9900 as a hotspot while I'm outdoor ... warning : it drains the battery pretty fast.
    10-01-12 11:51 AM
    It use wifi and data. No worries its just funny to use H+ data and show it off when you don't have access to wifi. In the states wifi is every where it a bit more limited here in cdn

Sezd
    10-01-12 12:12 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD