CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Blackberry App Generator

Has anyone used this service?

BlackBerry® App Generator

I'm looking at making an app for a few websites I run, and because they generate quite a bit of traffic its crucial that the apps can be somewhat modified later on. For example, the design choices are one of three; tiled, banner up to with list view below or complete list view. Or the content source being switched from RSS to Facebook. Does anyone know of the modifications that can be made after the app has been submitted?

Suppose later on in the future my bosses gather funds to pay for a completely customized app, what would the process be like to swap the app from Blackberry World's listing? Is the process easy?

Please advise! Thank you!
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    17,128 Global Posts

Highly doubt it will be easy due to the signing keys, content id's, etc, etc... You get almost no control over the submission, it auto does everything for you.

Just a guess but odds are you will end up having to post a new, custom app under a different name.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,517 Global Posts

Default Blackberry App Generator

Above poster is correct. At this point there is no way to modify a generated app. Blackberry recommends just generating a new app if you need to make changes.
    Go get some apps!
    DocuShortcut - Free homescreen shortcuts
    Symptom Journal - Track medical symptoms and causes (Built For BlackBerry)
    SkinEd for Minecraft - Create and share Minecraft skins
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

Quote Originally Posted by papped View Post
    Highly doubt it will be easy due to the signing keys, content id's, etc, etc... You get almost no control over the submission, it auto does everything for you.

Just a guess but odds are you will end up having to post a new, custom app under a different name.
    Would it not be possible to just re-generate the app and re-submit, thereby replace it?
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    17,128 Global Posts

Default Re: Blackberry App Generator

Quote Originally Posted by ungraphic View Post
    Would it not be possible to just re-generate the app and re-submit, thereby replace it?
    If it's a custom app obviously not. If it's also made through app generator it depends how they do it, I haven't tried.

If the config id, app name and signing key don't match app world vendor portal will complain. You'd have to try

Sent from my Xperia T using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry User

can I delete the app from app world and make a new app?
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    761 Global Posts

Yes you get some control over your app.... As it does go into your Appworld vendor portal area and belongs to you. You can't "modify" the code because you never see the actual code or bar. If you need to update something (like the content links or graphics), just make a new app with the generator. It may be possible to have it use the same name/package as the original so you can replace the original app (to notify users of upgrade). Contact Mippin for details on that process.

I have generated 2 apps with the App Generator and found it very useful. Also when there was a problem with the app reading images from a blog news feed source, I contacted Mippin and they fixed it on their end. So apparently the app must have settings/filters/rules that it uses when it reads from certain sources (like Wordpress versus Blogger versus whatever) and perhaps the apps contact Mippin first to see the latest conversion/parsing rules before it fetches data from the news feeds.

I imagine that if Blogger or Wordpress or another site changes the formatting it could break these apps unless Mippin had a way to continuously update the way it reads the info. They seemed to find a way to correct it when the image with my blog entries wasn't being consistently displayed as a thumbnail within the app. They also were able to activate in-line hotlinks from my blogger entries which would show up active so you can click them within the app to launch the browser (these were previously "off" in the app).... The app changed without even any reinstall, so Mippin did everything from their end.

Finally, it could be that the app actually contacts Mippin directly for all requests... and Mippin is the main gateway.... Say for example, the app wants to display a Blogger site "xyzblog", so the app contacts Mippin requesting new content from "xyzblog".... and Mippin's servers actually fetch the data from the Blogger site, reformats it properly, and then Mippin sends the reformat to your app. That is why Mippin can change everything on their end, including handling changes in the "xyzblog" formatting so the apps don't break if these sites decide to upgrade or change stuff. It also explains why hotlinks and such that are embedded can be turned on or off, because Mippin can remove the tags.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,016 Global Posts

2 questions. I intend on making a proper native app in the future for my business but temporarily I was planning on using the generator as a hold over.

Should I skip the generator and just wait for the native?

2ndly, is there any way to install the generated app directly onto a device or does it have to go through blackberry?

Posted via CB10
    Palm Pre- -----> Palm Pre 3 -----> Limited Edition Zed10
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by dcbo89 View Post
    2 questions. I intend on making a proper native app in the future for my business but temporarily I was planning on using the generator as a hold over.

Should I skip the generator and just wait for the native?

2ndly, is there any way to install the generated app directly onto a device or does it have to go through blackberry?

Posted via CB10
    It has to go through BlackBerry. I tested the app generator, and you never have access to the .bar files, they are submitted directly to the vendor portal, and you have no access to it until it is approved and you download it off BlackBerry World like any other person.
    ~ Spare Time App Developer ~
    (My PlayBook Apps: e-Mmanuel+ Bible Reader, e-Mmanuel Audio Bible, Business Analysis Toolbox, RiskASSIST, StakeholdersASSIST)
    See e-Mmanuel+ FaceBook Page for latest app news!
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    761 Global Posts

Just please I beg you, if you go through BB App Generator, go into Vendor portal as soon as you can and rename your app to remove the annoying (v1) that shows up after the name.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    Thanked by:
    Richard Buckley (03-15-2013) 
    CrackBerry Newbie

thanks for the info guys...was really informative and will keep in mind when I handle my BB device. Refer a reliable Mobile application development company for better clarifications.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    2846D23F

BlackBerry App gen works great but modifying has to be either done by email or redo the whole app and resubmit it. Then turn off the original version or ask app gen to delete. Way to much work.
    If I where you build and manage it yourself so you can customize it yourself later on.
    BlackBerry 10 game reviews for the unknown, small and indie developers. Little games with big dreams.
    VeryBerryGames and @VeryBerryGames
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    288986cf

Quote Originally Posted by bbquincar View Post
    BlackBerry App gen works great but modifying has to be either done by email or redo the whole app and resubmit it. Then turn off the original version or ask app gen to delete. Way to much work.
    If I where you build and manage it yourself so you can customize it yourself later on.
    WAY TOO MUCH WORK?
    Are you effing kidding me? They are doing the whole damn app for you! Which they shouldn't, even.

People are amazing.

The OP has a legitimate concern.... But you..
    CrackBerry Addict

All/most apps made with this app generator on BlackBerry World always seem pretty weak.. lacking all kinds of options. Take the time and make a proper app.

Posted via my Z10 using the CB10 app
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,714 Global Posts

Kudos to all that respond with help. I'm learning from all of you and hopefully soon I can develop too. Again, Thanks

Posted via CB10
    Rockin' a Black STL100-4...Z10 10.2.1.2947, Debug Token ...on Verizon, 64 GB WiFi Playbook.
    HP Elite M9340f Quad Core, OCZ 64GB Vertex 3 SSD +1TB HDD, Vista SP2 Media Center Edition, 6GB Ram,
    Logitech MOMO Force Feedback Racing Wheel with Pedals and Shifter.
    CrackBerry Abuser

I'm going through the app generator meow. Hoping to get vendor approval in next 24 hours.

Any way I can snag an LE or DAA out of this #ihavenoshame

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    761 Global Posts

Used generator for a few of my apps (see bottom of this post), but most of my released apps are made with WebWorks, Marmalade SDK and now Cascades.

Blackberry app gen is a TEMPLATE nothing more... Works great for "feed" based apps. It provides the shell to grab RSS and other feed formats and convert the content for proper display... You can add up to 4 content tabs and have some limited control in Appworld but it is NOT a solution for everyone.

Then again, it may be good enough considering it takes only a few minutes and little to no work to establish an "app presence" across the entire Blackberry device line for your company, fan page, whatever... from older BB5-7 to Playbook and BB10 with little to no effort.

If a company or organization already has blogs, youtube, facebook feeds, pictures albums... etc. or you want to construct a "fan" app, it is a nice easy solution.

Check out some of my examples in Appworld:

"Raspberry Pi" app
    "Autumn Hill Dental" app
    "Doctor Braun" app

All of these are just ways to access other content but it organizes and gives update notifications on your device. If you plan to do it you need permission from the feed owners (like I obtained for all of the above) but I like the generator for making it so easy!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app