I think the limited edition bb10 will have a different color. Or at least the rear part of the phone will be a new color never used before on a BB with some engraving behind it.
    01-23-13 06:39 PM
    Hmm, I don't remember them asking me which carrier I'm from.
    Or maybe they did, but I forgot cuz I was so excited......hmmmm.

I'm in Canada on Rogers, but once I get the BB10, I'm hoping to switch over to Wind, but only if the Limited Edition BB10 works on Wind, which is why I've been putting off switching, plus I still have prepaid minutes that don't expire until July.
    Last edited by Andrew4life; 01-23-13 at 10:39 PM.
    01-23-13 08:08 PM
    Hmm, I don't remember them asking me why carrier I'm from.

I'm in Canada on Rogers, but once I get the BB10, I'm hoping to switch over to Wind, but only if the Limited Edition BB10 works on Wind, which is why I've been putting off switching, plus I still have prepaid minutes that don't expire until July.
    I think it should, for Canada they only gave one option, maybe they've finally stopped locking down the pentaband radio module.
    01-23-13 08:29 PM
    I think it should, for Canada they only gave one option, maybe they've finally stopped locking down the pentaband radio module.
    Thats good.
    I hope we get lifetime warranty on these things. I'll never have to switch phones again! Unless I'm stupid and decide to lose it or somehow drop it into the lake.
    01-23-13 10:50 PM
    They are making a direct replacement of the gsm device you currently have for another gsm device, seems a fairly reasonable move on their part.

Anyway, the reality is that if they do not offer a cdma device, you will be able to easily ebay the limited edition and will probably make enough to buy yourself both a z10 and an x10 if anything.
    I guess this is true about ebaying the phone, but I am proud that I qualify for one as i put in a LOT of effort both learning cascades, and making connections. I didn't get into all of this for the money per-say, if I did, I could have sold my dev alpha.. Honestly, I can see myself just holding onto the Limited Edition device just for a keepsake over selling it on ebay.. Point being, it'd be a shame for it to not be able to be my daily driver, but chances are I am going to keep it either way, even if it never sees itself outside of the box. Oh well :/
    01-24-13 03:56 PM
    I am extremely disappointed in RIM/VZW's decision to not make a LE version. I'm not greedy, I'm just a developer who wants to see RIM succeed.

The fact of the matter, bottom line, is there was an agreement decided at Jam Americas 2012. I was told I could trade in my dev alpha for a limited edition by Alec Saunders himself. The website, from day one, had the option for US-Verizon. Now they backed out saying they weren't going to. So I will be receiving a useless device, as I won't switch from Verizon to a crappier service provider just to use the LE. I understand your point of view if you see it as a gift, but I see it more as a business transaction agreement where one party failed to meet what was expected of it.

Ebay here I come.

Also for what it's worth - Verizon and Sprint use CDMA, ATT and Tmobile (and others) use GSM. They will only be making GSM limited edition z10s with the GSM chipset. (someone above had this flipped)
    abass likes this.
    01-25-13 03:12 AM
    I still don't understand whats the big deal between the two devices. I think some of you guys are being bitches about it.
    01-25-13 06:38 AM
    Sorry, but anyone that's been paying attention should have known the LE on Verizon would have at least been a very bad idea. I had a sneaking suspicion that it wouldn't happen and LE BB10 would equal a normal Z10 from the day I seen Verizon listed as an option.

Know why I felt that way? Cause I owned a Galaxy Nexus on Verizon (thankfully it was given to me for free). Verizon refused to make any exceptions for Google, so only a complete fool would think Verizon would make exceptions for RIM. Compare the Galaxy Nexus on both sprint and Verizon with a GSM Nexus and you'll easily notice a few problems. The CDMA Nexus devices have carrier branding. Really big and really ugly carrier branding. The CDMA Galaxy Nexus has pre installed carrier bloatware and is missing a Google app. The CDMA Galaxy Nexus is always months behind in updates. Currently, the Verizon Galaxy Nexus is only 3 updates behind the GSM Galaxy Nexus.

None of those problems should have affected a Nexus. No other Nexus device has ever had those problems. So honestly, if Verizon can't provide a real Nexus, there is no way they would have provided a real LE BB10 device. What would be the incentive for Verizon to even do that? Go through the hassle of testing, approving, branding and allowing a third BB10 phone just because of a developer promotion RIM cooked up? It makes no sense to me why RIM even listed a CDMA carrier as a option in the first place. I honestly don't understand why anyone at RIM thought this would actually work.

Verizon isn't like gsm, where if you have a unlocked phone and a Sim card it just works. For a phone to work on Verizon, Verizon actually has to allow it to work. And in order for Verizon to allow a phone on their network the phone must have their ugly branding, and their bloatware and their testing of the OS updates. If Verizon forced Google and Samsung to meet those three requirements, then of course RIM will have to meet them also. The only problem, Verizon sorda wanted to sell the Galaxy Nexus. Verizon wants to lock people into contracts by selling you a subsidized phone. Verizon wouldn't even be able to sell this LE BB10 device. So yeah, why would this news surprise anyone? People should be mad at RIM, because they were actually foolish enough to think this was going to work on Verizon's network in the first place.
    Last edited by Saiga; 01-25-13 at 07:39 AM.
    01-25-13 07:28 AM
    Thats good.
    I hope we get lifetime warranty on these things. I'll never have to switch phones again! Unless I'm stupid and decide to lose it or somehow drop it into the lake.
    Warranty is the standard 1 year.
    01-25-13 10:40 AM
    Hmm, I don't remember them asking me which carrier I'm from.

Canada only has GSM phone no need to ask us anything
    01-25-13 11:10 AM
    I am extremely disappointed in RIM/VZW's decision to not make a LE version. I'm not greedy, I'm just a developer who wants to see RIM succeed.

The fact of the matter, bottom line, is there was an agreement decided at Jam Americas 2012. I was told I could trade in my dev alpha for a limited edition by Alec Saunders himself. The website, from day one, had the option for US-Verizon. Now they backed out saying they weren't going to. So I will be receiving a useless device, as I won't switch from Verizon to a crappier service provider just to use the LE. I understand your point of view if you see it as a gift, but I see it more as a business transaction agreement where one party failed to meet what was expected of it.

Ebay here I come.

Also for what it's worth - Verizon and Sprint use CDMA, ATT and Tmobile (and others) use GSM. They will only be making GSM limited edition z10s with the GSM chipset. (someone above had this flipped)
    I agree with this wholeheartedly, I saw it as a business transaction, in putting in the hours of learning the language and creating a free app.. So although people see the phone as "free" it really wasn't that easy...
    01-25-13 11:50 AM
    Canada only has GSM phone no need to ask us anything
    Last time I checked, Wind Mobile is not GSM. They use AWS.
    Bell also has CDMA.
    01-25-13 01:21 PM
    Bell is GSM LTE Now
    01-25-13 06:55 PM
    Bell is GSM LTE Now
    Wow, I'm behind in the times. I was still thinking they were using both GSM and CDMA, but it looks like last year they stopped selling CDMA phones all together.
    Though they technically still support it.

That still doesn't answer my question about AWS though.
    01-25-13 08:55 PM
    Last time I checked, Wind Mobile is not GSM. They use AWS.
    Bell also has CDMA.
    You are confused. AWS is just a frequency band it has nothing to do with cdma or gsm. Wind mobile uses HSPA network and Bell and Telus use CDMA for their old 2.5G networks and have a parallel network using HSPA as well for calls.
    01-25-13 09:43 PM
    You are confused. AWS is just a frequency band it has nothing to do with cdma or gsm. Wind mobile uses HSPA network and Bell and Telus use CDMA for their old 2.5G networks and have a parallel network using HSPA as well for calls.
    Yes, the different technologies and frequencies are confusing but his is all symantics.
    The point is,
    Wind uses AWS frequency bands 1700/2100 which are not part of the GSM frequencies that Rogers uses 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900.
    bbquincar was saying above how Canada only has GSM, which isn't true. So that still leaves the question, will the Limited Edition phone have all the frequencies/technologies above so it can work on any carrier?
    If not, does it mean I'm stuck on Rogers if it is indeed a phone that is GSM only?
    01-26-13 12:06 AM
    Yes, the different technologies and frequencies are confusing but his is all symantics.
    The point is,
    Wind uses AWS frequency bands 1700/2100 which are not part of the GSM frequencies that Rogers uses 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900.
    bbquincar was saying above how Canada only has GSM, which isn't true. So that still leaves the question, will the Limited Edition phone have all the frequencies/technologies above so it can work on any carrier?
    If not, does it mean I'm stuck on Rogers if it is indeed a phone that is GSM only?
    GSM technically only refers to the old 2G technology, as the gsm and cdma camps joined forces a long time ago to form UMTS. The only reason we are having this debate is because Verizon uses its old 2G network for voice calling still which is based on cdma2000 and is a different technology than the successor UMTS standards. So the technical answer is Rogers is the only GSM carrier in Canada as all the new entrants don't have a legacy 2G network and Bell and Telus legacy network is based on cdma2000.
    01-26-13 11:31 AM
    The post clarifying it should be up soon.
    Attachment 132269
    Did this blog post ever surface? I don't believe I have seen it yet...
    01-29-13 10:32 AM
    Did this blog post ever surface? I don't believe I have seen it yet...
    no i looked for it a couple days ago and didnt see anything about it
    01-29-13 11:01 AM
    if the device its not LTE/CDMA it wont work on VZW. It appears they are only making GSM models of the special edition device.
    The device should work on edge....lol
    01-29-13 11:11 AM
    This seems to be the blog post, it just came up today.
    Carrier Availability for the BlackBerry 10 Limited Edition
    schmeat likes this.
    02-02-13 02:27 PM
    eh...sorta a solution i guess
    02-02-13 02:38 PM
    someone asked and I don't see an answer. wHAT IS SO SPECIAL ABOUT HTE LIMITED EDITIN HARDWARE THAT it can't be released?
    02-02-13 10:56 PM
    someone asked and I don't see an answer. wHAT IS SO SPECIAL ABOUT HTE LIMITED EDITIN HARDWARE THAT it can't be released?
    To be quite honest, as far as we all know, nothing. It's just a Z10 with an engraving and it's going to be a different colour from the standard white or black colour of the production Z10. It's kind of like a collectors item so to speak, anything that differentiates it from the mass produced version gives it that little edge in being just that much more "hold on to later-able" yes later-able is a word I "invented"
    02-02-13 11:05 PM
    Its confirm to be a z10 device with different color???
    02-03-13 04:10 AM
57 123