Developers who had submitted a BlackBerry 10 app and approved for the Limited Edition BlackBerry 10 device cannot use it on Verizon Wireless. RIM has been sending this email to developers who requested to use the LE BB10 phone on Big Red:

"Hello,

We want to start by saying thank you for you continued support and commitment to the BlackBerry 10 platform. The excitement around this launch, device and platform is palpable and we owe our developer community a debt of gratitude for that. In fact, that’s one reason we want to give the Limited Edition BlackBerry 10 smartphone to our developers.

I wanted to let you know that although you have applied to receive a BlackBerry 10 Limited Edition device, we are not able to offer the device from Verizon. Instead we will send you a 4G device.

Please note that Verizon is completely committed to launching BlackBerry 10 devices, but we are not able to order the Limited Edition devices at this time.

Thank you,
    BlackBerry Developer Relations Team"

It looks like you will have to get a pre-paid service or new service on a different carrier. No word yet on what the reasoning behind this might be. Perhaps it has to do with the LTE radio used in the Limited Edition device?
    BlackBerry 10 Limited Edition Not Available on Verizon Wireless - N4BB
    01-22-13 03:45 PM
    Wow that is pretty ****ty
    01-22-13 04:13 PM
    Wow, that really blows chunks!
    01-22-13 04:17 PM
    Given it is a direct replacement for a dev alpha it is not like the person trading in their free dev device for a new free device didn't have access to gsm networks.
    01-22-13 05:09 PM
    Given it is a direct replacement for a dev alpha it is not like the person trading in their free dev device for a new free device didn't have access to gsm networks.
    But all those Verizon customers who don't wanna use prepaid or gsm aren't gonna want another bill either. Really sucks. Myabe they'll be able to trade for 1.
    01-22-13 05:31 PM
    I'm lost. Whats the difference between the Verizon branded 4G device and the "Limited edition" modal?
    01-22-13 06:52 PM
    verizon 4g is LTE and have CDMA as 3G and not HSPA+ like att or t-mob
    01-22-13 07:06 PM
    verizon 4g is LTE and have CDMA as 3G and not HSPA+ like att or t-mob
    I fail to see the problem here
    01-22-13 07:10 PM
    if the device its not LTE/CDMA it wont work on VZW. It appears they are only making GSM models of the special edition device.
    01-22-13 07:19 PM
    I honestly don't understand why they would be doing this.. What got me motivated to make an app was that I could get a limited edition device.. And now I won't be able to use it on Verizon.. I'm legit pissed right now, am I acting out of line..? This is rediculous... They have supported developers SO well from the beginning.. Why would they cut such a major corner at the end of it all? /:
    01-22-13 07:43 PM
    it the device its not LTE/CDMA it wont work on VZW. It appears they are only making GSM models of the special edition device.
    Maybe you're not understanding the question.

Is there a difference between the Limited device and the Verizon device? I don't care about the antenna differences. Everyone should know that especially when RIM asked what provider would you want the phone for. For so many not to be happy about this then there has to be other differences between the units. Different size? Faster or slower? Whats the difference?
    01-22-13 07:51 PM
    Hold up guys, as always, RIM will clarify this further..
    BlackBerry 10 Limited Edition Not Available on Verizon Wireless-calm.jpg
    Techno-Emigre likes this.
    01-22-13 08:50 PM
    Isn't Verizon the biggest network in the States? Surely, someone's screwed up big time with this....
    01-22-13 08:52 PM
    What is different about the limited edition device?
    01-22-13 08:55 PM
    What is different about the limited edition device?
    post#9
    01-22-13 09:03 PM
    But all those Verizon customers who don't wanna use prepaid or gsm aren't gonna want another bill either. Really sucks. Myabe they'll be able to trade for 1.
    So they can easily ebay their FREE device to get a cdma model or just use this FREE device on wifi.
    01-23-13 03:48 AM
    I honestly don't understand why they would be doing this.. What got me motivated to make an app was that I could get a limited edition device.. And now I won't be able to use it on Verizon.. I'm legit pissed right now, am I acting out of line..? This is rediculous... They have supported developers SO well from the beginning.. Why would they cut such a major corner at the end of it all? /:
    You do appearing to be acting out of line to me when you consider that a gsm variant will not harm your ability to develop apps for the device which was the actual point of this whole program rather than as a means for you to get a free device on the network of your choice and the idea that them giving people a device that works on about 95% of the world's networks just fine is somehow not supporting developers is laughably self-entitled and ridiculous in the extreme.
    antonnin and ladeberry like this.
    01-23-13 03:52 AM
    post#9
    I think he meant to ask what is a BlackBerry 10 Limited Edition device and what makes it "limited edition"?
    01-23-13 04:10 AM
    The post clarifying it should be up soon.
    BlackBerry 10 Limited Edition Not Available on Verizon Wireless-upsoon.jpg
    01-23-13 05:41 AM
    You do appearing to be acting out of line to me when you consider that a gsm variant will not harm your ability to develop apps for the device which was the actual point of this whole program rather than as a means for you to get a free device on the network of your choice and the idea that them giving people a device that works on about 95% of the world's networks just fine is somehow not supporting developers is laughably self-entitled and ridiculous in the extreme.
    I am a web designer, I own a web design company, with a lot of client work backed up. I am on contract currently so was going to have to pay the $799 or whatever it ended up being, outright. Did I think that I would become an application developer? No.. But after making connections, and getting such incentives as this, it motivated me to learn Cascades and develop FREE apps, over working on clients sites which is guaranteed money in my pocket. I invested easily 100 hours into app development, and learning.. You make it sound like I did all of this for the wrong reason, where in reality, I took one of the incentives as a motivator to learn a language which I would probably would have never learned, and now can make apps.. Am I going to stop making apps? No.. I absolutely love doing it now, and its become a hobby in addition to an asset for my company.. But had it not been for the incentives given by RIM, I would have never invested the time in giving up guaranteed client work. You make it sound like I'm being greedy and did it for the wrong reason, whereas in reality, I took advantage of exactly what RIM wanted to accomplish with this.. And RIM has benefited with it in the short and long run as I am continuing to develop apps. So why am I as irritated as I am? Because the reason I did it in the first place, to get the free device over having to pay $800 off contract, has now turned into,I will get the free device that I will be dying to use as my daily driver, but I am still going to have to spend $800 to buy a regular model off contract. So if all of this is true, I feel like its a very unfair thing for RIM to do, a company that I AM SUPPORTING no matter what happens.. I'm going to continue to make apps for them, I'm just a bit dissapointed about it all, as I feel like I have the right to be.
    01-23-13 08:49 AM
    firstly, id let the devblog post go live before going too far with this, could be a whole host of reasons.

what i would say though is absolutley nowhere ever did RIM say it would be functional on particular networks. they simply said a speical edition phone.
    01-23-13 12:36 PM
    The limited edition device was never promised on any carrier. You are still getting a free BB10 device. You could sell it, you could keep it, it doesnt change the fact that RIM is indeed holding up their end of the bargain and giving you a FREE device for trading in your Dev device that will be bricked anyway.
    01-23-13 12:50 PM
    I think the confusion for me when I received this email from RIM was whether they meant that I would be receiving a normal Verizon Z10 or if they were going to send me a Limited Edition device that simply would not work on Verizon's network. At first I was thinking it was the first statement, but it seems from this thread that it's actually the latter.

Am I a little disappointed that I probably won't be able to use my LE as my daily driver? Yes... I am... but a free device is a free device, especially with it being a Limited Edition. RIM didn't have to make this offer at all and I, for one, am still grateful for it.

Russ.
    kevinnugent and antonnin like this.
    01-23-13 03:54 PM
    Because the reason I did it in the first place, to get the free device over having to pay $800 off contract, has now turned into,I will get the free device that I will be dying to use as my daily driver, but I am still going to have to spend $800 to buy a regular model off contract. So if all of this is true, I feel like its a very unfair thing for RIM to do, a company that I AM SUPPORTING no matter what happens.. I'm going to continue to make apps for them, I'm just a bit dissapointed about it all, as I feel like I have the right to be.
    They are making a direct replacement of the gsm device you currently have for another gsm device, seems a fairly reasonable move on their part.

Anyway, the reality is that if they do not offer a cdma device, you will be able to easily ebay the limited edition and will probably make enough to buy yourself both a z10 and an x10 if anything.
    01-23-13 04:23 PM
    They are making a direct replacement of the gsm device you currently have for another gsm device, seems a fairly reasonable move on their part.

Anyway, the reality is that if they do not offer a cdma device, you will be able to easily ebay the limited edition and will probably make enough to buy yourself both a z10 and an x10 if anything.
    Exactly. I'm sure the "limited edition" aspect of it might even get you more than what a Z10 would cost you anyway. Imagine selling the limited edition, then picking up a Z10 on contract (assuming you are eligible for an upgrade at the time), and pocketing the remainder. There are certainly options available, even if they are less ideal than having a limited edition to use as your daily driver.
    01-23-13 04:51 PM
57 123