Hey guys, I was wondering when we were going to get our limited edition devices. I did some further research and contacted the email given to us during sign up for limited edition once app was approved. Anyway This is the reply I got back:

Hi Zeshan,

Thank you for your email The Dev Alpha device will need to be sent back before you receive your replacement LE BB10 device. The delivery of the replacement is expected to be 6-8 weeks from launch (Jan 30th). You can return the device any time before or after that launch date. Limited Edition device upgrade replacement timing will depend on BB10 launch as well as the time it takes to receive your returned alpha device. Please understand this timing cannot be estimated until after BB10 launch. Should you need to change the UPS pick up date you will need to contact UPS and have this changed.

Thanks!
    Sith_Apprentice likes this.
    01-09-13 08:23 AM
    Thank you for the update, and I am glad to see they are being so responsive. 6-8 weeks after launch, assuming Jan 30th launch, means devices should be in stores before that (I am estimating 3-4 weeks prior which accounts for the discrepancy in the FAQ and your E-mail). Means BB10 should release in Feb/early March.
    01-09-13 08:55 AM
    They should ship them out so that we should have them before the stores get them so that other people can actually see and play with the device (free marketing for RIM)
    01-09-13 09:35 AM
    They should ship them out so that we should have them before the stores get them so that other people can actually see and play with the device (free marketing for RIM)
    Carriers wouldnt be too happy about that.
    01-09-13 09:49 AM
    Hope we get em before commercial availability, or at the same time ,to be able to test reported bugs and fixes.
    01-09-13 10:17 AM
    Carriers wouldnt be too happy about that.
    why? the carriers cant sell the LE phones and anyone getting a LE phone isnt a potential customer of theirs, so in a way it wouldnt matter to them. If anything it would build hype and enhance the odds of a friend going to get a BB10 device, so the carriers would actually like that, but carriers arent logical so that`ll never happen lol
    01-09-13 11:40 AM
    applied for mine today submitting two bb10 apps.

Here is to having my fingers crossed.
    01-09-13 03:44 PM
    Yeah, initially the FAQ said 3-4 weeks from date of availability, but as you guys all know that has been doubled.
    01-09-13 05:10 PM
    They won't let us have them before they become comercial available. That's just how these things work. Does anyone remember that one time someone found an iPhone in a bar? Do you remember how much a tech website paid to be the first people to have published info about that device without breaking their embargo?

Can you imagine how much of a premium the LEBB1O would go for on ebay weeks before the Z10 became widely available? Just look at what Dev Alphas are fetching for a hint.

Yeah, just like with the PlayBook. Developers won't get a device until after the media embargo is lifted on the Z10 and they become comericially available. RIM would be utterly foolish to do it any other way.
    01-09-13 06:32 PM
    why? the carriers cant sell the LE phones and anyone getting a LE phone isnt a potential customer of theirs, so in a way it wouldnt matter to them. If anything it would build hype and enhance the odds of a friend going to get a BB10 device, so the carriers would actually like that, but carriers arent logical so that`ll never happen lol
    You won't have to sign a contract or pay a ridiculous premium to get the device. This does not benefit the carriers in any way. Not to mention carriers have to certify devices on their network. If the BB10 devices don't have this yet rim needs to be cautious giving them out.
    01-10-13 05:52 AM
    Carrier certification is exactly why I went with GSM for the LE instead of Verizon who is one of my carriers. Verizon is very strict about devices they put on their network. Anyone that has heard of the VZW Galaxy Nexus knows what I'm talking about. A Nexus device that gets updated six months after all the other Nexus devices and it has carrier branding.

If VZW refused to make exceptions for Google, I highly doubt they will make them for RIM. That worries me a bunch, because either the VZW LE BB10 will be different than the GSM version or RIM made sacrifices for both GSM and VZW versions. Like it wouldn't surprise me if VZW's version is just a normal retail Z10.

You can't put a phone on Verizon without Verizon allowing it and I just can't see Verizon caring enough to work with RIM to put a special BB10 device on their network for a handful of developers.
    01-10-13 07:39 AM
    You won't have to sign a contract or pay a ridiculous premium to get the device. This does not benefit the carriers in any way. Not to mention carriers have to certify devices on their network. If the BB10 devices don't have this yet rim needs to be cautious giving them out.
    yes and no. your not gonna get a device with them if you know you have a LE coming, so the contact is a moot arguement. also i have a BB10 dev alpha running on my carrier, pretty certain that isnt certified lol. either way id imagine the carriers have already certified them or will have by the 30th otherwise RIM wouldnt have carriers to announce lol.
    01-10-13 09:47 AM
    yes and no. your not gonna get a device with them if you know you have a LE coming, so the contact is a moot arguement. also i have a BB10 dev alpha running on my carrier, pretty certain that isnt certified lol. either way id imagine the carriers have already certified them or will have by the 30th otherwise RIM wouldnt have carriers to announce lol.
    Oh i have my Dev B running on AT&T currently (Dev A is going for trade in). However I do know that AT&T would love to have me lose my $30 unlimited data plan for my $70 unlimited domestic/international data plan and force me onto a new plan when upgrading lol
    01-10-13 09:54 AM