I contend that RIM was somewhat lax in who got the Dev Alpha's. Bla1ze might want to comment on that. I dont think RIM really cares that much what happens to a Dev Alpha, not much to see there that has not been seen before and its probably a net win to have someone running around showing it off. Plus it self destructs at some point.
    12-31-12 11:23 PM
    Not going to lie, if I had $700 lying around I'd buy it.
    12-31-12 11:52 PM
    Lol anyone who pays that much for a dev alpha is a fool. In less than 30 days you can have a fully functional BlackBerry10 phone that won't brick in a few months lol.

Happy 2013 Everyone!!!!!! Our shiny new CrackBerry's are just around the bend!!!

Sent from my BlackBerry by Choice using Tapatalk
    01-01-13 12:12 AM
    So apparently its becoming popular to sell your Dev Alpha.... I wish i even had one to begin with. But with now being 2013 (a.k.a the year for BlackBerry) I'm just going to wait for the final hardware. Hopefully they'll have via some retailers other than carriers because I don't wanna see a carrier logo on a phone I paid full price for. #BB10

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    01-01-13 08:12 AM
    Not going to lie, if I had $700 lying around I'd buy it.
    I'm very interested in why you think that would be anywhere near a good exchange for you. Either you're a very special case (like a developer who expects he can make thousands of dollars more by having an app fully tested by launch, which is hard to do without the real hardware), or you're misinformed about what this would do for you.

I could see someone speculating that maybe for $50 a stray Dev Alpha would be neat to have, maybe with some value as a collector's item in the future if (when) BB10 really succeeds, but $700? That's just beyond rationale, if you ask me, so I wonder if you know things like the fact the Dev Alphas will all be "bricked" (made so they can never boot up again) around the launch of BB10.
    01-01-13 10:58 AM
    I'm very interested in why you think that would be anywhere near a good exchange for you. Either you're a very special case (like a developer who expects he can make thousands of dollars more by having an app fully tested by launch, which is hard to do without the real hardware), or you're misinformed about what this would do for you.

I could see someone speculating that maybe for $50 a stray Dev Alpha would be neat to have, maybe with some value as a collector's item in the future if (when) BB10 really succeeds, but $700? That's just beyond rationale, if you ask me, so I wonder if you know things like the fact the Dev Alphas will all be "bricked" (made so they can never boot up again) around the launch of BB10.
    Not only that, but RIM security is indeed aware of these sales. And with the serial number being shown, I sincerely doubt that device will be of any use to anyone trying to "use" it, for anything other than development.
    01-02-13 06:27 AM
    I sent these to insideblackberry

blackberry 10 dev alpha | eBay
    01-03-13 12:33 PM
    Not only that, but RIM security is indeed aware of these sales. And with the serial number being shown, I sincerely doubt that device will be of any use to anyone trying to "use" it, for anything other than development.
    I sent these to insideblackberry

blackberry 10 dev alpha | eBay
    the posts on ebay for custom cases cracked me up
    https://twitter.com/BlackBerryDev/st...38321531736065

BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha B being sold on Ebay-bb10-warning.jpg
    01-07-13 06:17 PM
    The fact that people are buying these proves the point that some people have more dollars than sense . To me, a Berry, as much as I love it, is a business and personal communication tool. I'd be the tool if I paid close to a grand for a development version weeks before launch of the commercial version, knowing that these are not legal for sale and are most likely going to be bricks within a month or so. Unbelievable. I guess if you can sell a piece of toast on eBay with a purported holy picture burnt into it, then you sure can sell a development BlackBerry 10.

The good news is the excitement is obviously growing. That's nice to see. I saw an article on Flipboard that basically said that RIM and their old design is trying something old again, but luckily they are at least offering a full screen version and virtual keyboard as well, and that hopefully die-hard fans would embrace it. I guess they will, for close to a thousand bucks on ebay.
    jerryeight likes this.
    01-07-13 07:09 PM
    This BB10 Dev Alpha was just sold on ebay for $650
    Item number:181055037844
    BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha B being sold on Ebay-a82c8adef60dc059e779b840a5ae4971.jpg
    01-08-13 10:42 PM
    01-25-13 03:35 AM
    I'm wondering if RIM is going to track down those that do not return their Dev Alphas.
    02-02-13 06:24 PM
37 12