So I was on eBay and I searched BlackBerry 10 for the heck of it, and i found this post. Apparently some guy is selling his Dev Alpha B for nearly 1000$

Heres the link if you guys want to check it out;
    Unreleased Rim Demo Phone RARE Blackberry 10 Dev Alpha | eBay
    Last edited by HKain7; 12-30-12 at 04:00 AM. Reason: Updated due to spelling errors
    12-30-12 03:59 AM
    Very much like the close up photo showing the "not for sale" marking
    jaapplas and unstoppablekem like this.
    12-30-12 04:41 AM
    I noticed the third picture clearly states that the device is not for sale. So I sent the seller a question asking how come he is selling it. Looking forward to his reply. Having said that I am not surprised that one has shown up given that thousands have been distributed to devs. I bet if RIM got the device back they could find out who was given it in the first place. That would be interesting too.
    jerryeight likes this.
    12-30-12 04:42 AM
    or better yet if RIM bought the device from the buyer.
    whatever would happen to the developer and rim's relationship.
    hopefully the seller does not attached to any big app dev company. this might get ugly.
    I'd say he done a stupid unthinkable action.

Sent from my unsliding slider BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    12-30-12 04:54 AM
    Well he does list himself as being from Folsom, CA. Home of Folsom State Prison...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folsom_State_Prison
    12-30-12 06:21 AM
    I hope the buyer knows that these brick and become completely useless in about 3 months.
    diegonei and chrissmartin like this.
    12-30-12 07:26 AM
    I need to step on this guys neck.
    chrissmartin likes this.
    12-30-12 08:17 AM
    I wonder if you could buy this and get the limited edition BB10 in exchange? I really want a LE BB10....
    12-30-12 08:59 AM
    Everyone with a eBay account please report this item.
    chrissmartin likes this.
    12-30-12 06:34 PM
    Everyone with a eBay account please report this item.
    Done.
    anon(3896606) likes this.
    12-30-12 07:20 PM
    you can make out the serial number in the not for sale pic.. I wonder if RIM could brick it remotely using that information?
    12-30-12 08:24 PM
    Looks like it's sold, but here's another one Unreleased Rim Demo Phone RARE Blackberry 10 Dev Alpha | eBay
    12-30-12 08:49 PM
    Looks like it's sold, but here's another one Unreleased Rim Demo Phone RARE Blackberry 10 Dev Alpha | eBay
    I feel like buying just so I can send it back to RIM
    anon(3896606) likes this.
    12-30-12 08:58 PM
    So honestly, as a Blackberry fan, I would buy the Dev Alpha devices if they were affordable. I think it would be cool to own a prototype device. But I would probably buy it directly from RIM instead of someone else...
    12-30-12 09:18 PM
    The device is time bombed. Essentially you're buying a paperweight when the internal clock strikes down.
    goku_vegeta and diegonei like this.
    12-30-12 09:36 PM
    I feel like buying just so I can send it back to RIM
    Send it back??? You'd have at least a month to play with the thing
    12-30-12 09:40 PM
    Send it back??? You'd have at least a month to play with the thing
    shhh! thanks for blowing my plan
    anon(3896606) and SlcCorrado like this.
    12-30-12 09:48 PM
    I'm still curious if the person in possession of a dev unit can cash it in towards a limited edition unit? Is each unit registered to the person originally issued the unit? Would RIM even question the possessor???
    12-30-12 11:08 PM
    You sure can! So long as you submit a "built for BlackBerry app" and do it within 10 days

Sent from my BlackBerry by Choice using Tapatalk
    12-30-12 11:36 PM
    You sure can! So long as you submit a "built for BlackBerry app" and do it within 10 days http://forums.crackberry.com/mobiquo/emoji/E105.png

Sent from my BlackBerry by Choice using Tapatalk
    Really? I thought they just want wanted all dev units back and the incentive for that was an LE unit in return for surrendering the dev unit. I didn't know an app needed to be submitted.
    12-31-12 12:13 AM
    Really? I thought they just want wanted all dev units back and the incentive for that was an LE unit in return for surrendering the dev unit. I didn't know an app needed to be submitted.
    Ya, in order to qualify for the exchange a BlackBerry 10 app needs to be created, submitted and approved. And yes, each device is registered to their "owner". The devices were scanned and assoc. to your developer accounts at the time they were issued. If someone else turns up with one not registered to them, they'll be facing some questions lol. Though I highly doubt RIM would go through any legal trouble for it. Not really worth the effort in the long run. Whoever has one past the time will just have a pretty cool paperweight that might end up being worth something on eBay further down the road much like how vintage Apple stuff is now.
    12-31-12 01:42 AM
    Looks like another Dev Alpha is being listed for sale on Ebay...
    Unreleased Rim Demo Phone RARE Blackberry 10 Dev Alpha | eBay
    12-31-12 02:21 AM
    You sure can! So long as you submit a "built for BlackBerry app" and do it within 10 days http://forums.crackberry.com/mobiquo/emoji/E105.png
    Slight correction on that: the app does NOT have to be "Built For BlackBerry", but merely an app that is either new to BlackBerry 10, or a slightly customized version of an existing PlayBook app. The full details are clearly spelled out in the submission form, however, so I won't repeat them all here. https://developer.blackberry.com/limitededition/ Actually, check the appropriate FAQ entry at https://developer.blackberry.com/dev...ition_faq.html
    Last edited by peter9477; 12-31-12 at 10:26 AM. Reason: corrected link
    12-31-12 10:24 AM
    Did anyone report these to RIM? lol.

I have sent in the links, I am sure all parties will be properly notified by RIM.
    12-31-12 12:39 PM
    The Dev Alpha CANNOT be exchanged for a new BB10 phone, because each Dev Alpha is registered to a person who signed an agreement form with RIM, and they have all the contact info on you.

If a buyer of the Dev Alpha tries to trade it in to RIM, whether or not they make an app, their info WILL NOT match the RIM database and, as Ricky Ricardo would say, "you gots lots of esplaining to do". :-)

Not only that, but then RIM will also know the original dev who sold it, because as far as I know, the serial numbers are on the phone and RIM recorded who received all of the Dev Alphas.

Secondly...

Why would someone pay $1000 for a Dev Alpha, then work hard to make an app to submit, just to get a new BB10 phone? Even if it was possible using someone else's Dev Apha (which it is not, and sure to raise red flags)... Why not just spend $1000 directly and buy an unlocked new BB10 when it comes out???

I believe this eBay sale is an attempt by a "developer" (and in quotes meaning someone who is not seriously a developer, or has no honor professionally, or may even be a stolen device from someone) to cash in and run. Any normal decent human being and professional developer who signed an agreement with RIM would never do this for any amount of money.

RIM and eBay should be notified and the seller pinned down to verify whether it is a real developer who attended a Blackberry Jam or perhaps stole it from someone.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    12-31-12 08:29 PM
37 12