Press and hold the mute button. The BB Dev Alpha says: "Please say a command after the beep".

Things you can say:

Open browser
    BB says: "What site do you want to go to?"
    blackberry.com
    Browser opens on that site

Search for <something>
    BB says: "Updating information for <something>"
    Various search results appear: apps, Bing, Help, YouTube, App World, Music, Wikipedia

Go to <site>
    BB says: "Browsing to <site>"
    Browser opens on that site

Go to google.com
    BB says: "What would you like to find?"
    Paris
    BB says: "Performing Google Search for Paris"
    Browser opens on Google, but no search is performed yet

What is the weather?
    BB says: it is currently 20 degrees and partly sunny

What is the time?
    BB says: it's 2:10pm

Find directions to Paris
    BB says: "Updating information for Paris"
    Bing maps appears centered on Seattle but no results are found.
    Similar for things like "Where is the nearest Starbucks"

Call Maria
    BB says: "I couldn't find Maria, please say the contacts name again"
    ...probably due to missing PIM apps, same with commands like "Send text message".

Dial <number>
    BB says: "Do you want to call <number>?
    Yes
    BB says: I am calling <number>
    (no SIM, can't test)

Make an appointment with Jon for tomorrow at 2pm
    BB says: OK, here is your appointment with Jon on Saturday, July 21st at 2pm. Would you like to schedule it?
    Yes
    BB says: Scheduling your appointment. I've saved it in your calendar.

Move my 2pm meeting tomorrow to 4pm
    BB says: "Here is your reminder. Shall I save it?"
    Yes
    Seems to incorrectly create a new reminder from 2pm to 4pm

Cancel my 2pm meeting tomorrow
    BB just pings

Remember to call Jack
    When would you like me to remind you to call Jack?
    At 5 p.m.
    Here is your reminder <blablabla> Would you like me to save it?

Play <something>
    Please specify the playlist, album, artist, genre or title

Things it doesn't do (yet), or does incorrectly:
    What is the time on Tokio?
    What is the weather in Barcelona?
    What is 3 times 33?
    How much is 10 dollars in euro's?
    Close browser / close AIR browser

Things it doesn't understand usually result in: "Do you want to search the web for ..."

Found any more? Post below!
    07-20-12 09:55 AM
    Wow!

I really wish I had a dev Alpha now.
    07-20-12 11:01 AM
    Wow!

I really wish I had a dev Alpha now.
    No you don't, it's still very buggy.
    check out N4BB's video
    https://n4bb.com/siri-like-voice-com...v-alpha-video/

07-20-12 07:00 PM
    well, pretty good for something that's not announced and clearly fairly alpha stage...
    07-20-12 07:29 PM
    It also has a routine for sending BBMs by the way. "Send BBM to Michael"
    It doesn't do anything cause no BBM app yet.
    07-20-12 08:10 PM
    I am annoyed that you and others called this "Siri-like". Stop trolling BlackBerry users subliminally.
    07-20-12 10:27 PM
    seriously, do people use this function? I think S-Voice or SIRI, they are just playing for fun and check some stuffs but at this moment, I dont think its really I would use. Its like the Voice Command, yes its good but not a lot of people uses it

- Charles
    07-21-12 12:19 AM
    I guess it's safe to assume that voice requests are sent to a server, transcribed and actions are done locally on the machine? This is how Siri works I believe and it just eats up mobile bandwidth. I guess it's too much to ask BB10 to do the heavy lifting on device and just fetch search data, I would love to be surprised.

To make BB10 voice decidedly different I think you should be able to name your voiceover and it should respond when you say it's name. I think it should give full instructions initially but as you use it more, it should use shorter phrases and learn your commonly asked questions. It could use closing phrases to mark if it did a good job (imprint and elevate question) like Thank you 'Siri'.
    07-21-12 12:43 AM
    Does it work without network connection?
    07-21-12 02:56 AM
    Does it work without network connection?
    No. It uses a data connection like the 'others'
    07-21-12 03:19 AM
    I don't know what to think about it, sincerely.
    As Charles said before, I also don't think people need that kind of stuff for real: most often is faster to do what you have to do with your fingers.
    I always imagine this scene: a person, on a train, asking his handheld to check out the weather forecast or to search something on internet... He seems crazy, doesn't he?
    If all other platforms have something similar, should not necessarily be a good idea.
    This is my opinion.
    07-21-12 05:37 AM
    How useful this is really depends on the visual interface at the end. I don't like at the moment how it's totally invisible - I assume and hope that will change before it's released.

I don't like the way it says "say a command after the beep" - it's so surplus to requirements and slows everything down. It could do that the first time you ever use it, but I'd prefer it if it went straight into voice detection when you press the button.

I'd also prefer to say "set an appointment for Wednesday at 3pm for my team meeting" rather than "set an appointment", beep, when is the appointment?, "tomorrow at 3pm", beep, ok, here is your appointment shall I save it?, "yes", beep.

Also... Bing maps? Ugh.
    07-21-12 08:05 AM
    How did you manage to get the messages app, calender app and player?

Could I have the link to download it.
    07-21-12 08:50 AM
    No you don't, it's still very buggy.
    check out N4BB's video
    https://n4bb.com/siri-like-voice-com...v-alpha-video/

Yep.
    A consequence of RIM skimming it heavily to avoid giving away BB10 secrets.
    07-21-12 12:22 PM
    more interestingly i can see a PLEX icon on the alpha device )))))))))
    theninjew likes this.
    07-21-12 01:15 PM
    I have always wondered about that voice for the device? that voice in in more devices and programs and videos. is that a computer generated voice or is she just that much in demand?
    she must be pulling in a fortune! wonder why nobody has interviewed her, just as a human interest story. would be nice to hear how this got started. are computer generate dvoices given royalty rights like people?
    07-21-12 01:22 PM
    This is certainly something I can take or leave on BB10. If it helps them sell more phones, then it's a good thing.

Apple makes Siri look super cool in their commercials and the first impulse is to think, "I want that!" But then I see Samuel L Jackson ask Siri how many ounces in a cup and that bit of ridiculousness pulls me back to reality in realizing it's really something amusing to play around with... for now anyway.

I concede that it is definitely a developing technology and will be put to productive use in the near future. I'm happy RIM is throwing their hat in the ring.
    07-21-12 03:05 PM
    I was interested in the choice of the voice for this. seems to me . GPS devices, and tons of apps that use the same voice. i was curious if this is an actual woman, or a computer generated one. was always curious about this. and , why wouldn't you have a different voice from everybody else? I have her voice on my GPS"S .
    just wondering who she is? the voice app itself is not a make or beak thing, just another take it or leave it feature.
    07-21-12 05:35 PM
    The key to a feature such as this isn't the actual voice tech, its the layer that lets you interact with the device in an entirely natural way.

I dont want to remember 30 different commands. It's the reason i dont use vlingo, even though i have it attached to one of the hardware buttons on my bb. For this to really be a groundbreaking feature, you need to be able to interact with it like you would any of your friends. Siri has some of that, but not where near enough to appeal to the mass consumer market. Basically unless you speak in a very 'american' way, Siri and other such programs aren't as effective.

Still, nice to see that Rim is working on it. But it shouldn't be touted as a feature in order to sell phones. Too much potential for backfire. And Rim doesn't have the marketing/media prowess to counter such negativity.
    Blackberry_boffin likes this.
    07-21-12 06:24 PM
    All this voice thingy would be awesome if we could just name the "voice" and call it by just saying its name to activate the command.
    Perhaps something like:

Me: "Max" (One or two seconds later)
    Max: "Yes, Kem, how can I help you?"

There should be no need to press a button if RIM wants to make this relevant and practical. Also, maybe introduce voice recognition to unlock the phone and call "the voice"
    07-21-12 10:30 PM
    Fingers crossed this is flawless at launch. I'm looking forward to it.
    07-21-12 11:02 PM
    It's still very much alpha.
    I am 100% sure it won't have that male voice asking you to say something after the beep at launch
    Not entirely sure if a button will be required (or an option) though.

Also, yeah, there will be a GUI. Hopefully it can overlay on top of your current app so you can't switch apps. We'll see.
    07-22-12 02:21 AM
    I would like to see this tech perfected on ALL platforms, including BB10 simply for the reason that if people insist on operating their cars while interacting with their phones (which of course you shouldn't do!), maybe, just maybe it'll cut down on the number of accidents involving distracted drivers.
    Innovatology likes this.
    07-22-12 02:55 AM
    this is obviously just vlingo integrated into the OS. The voice even sounds the same. Nothing new here in my opinion.. But at least they're realizing that they do need some sort of voice input
    07-22-12 10:06 AM
    That voice command is like saying, "Please Leave A Message After the Beep". RIM needs to have something better as the final product.
    07-22-12 11:50 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD