Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Question Battery Life on Dev Alpha

Call me crazy (although I'm not crazy - "my mother had me tested"); but has anyone noticed since upgrading to latest OS on the Dev Alpha (10.0.9.388) that the battery life has been extended? I've been trying to use the DV in tandem with my Torch (getting more familiar with the OS and form function of the Dev in real world applications) and I'm getting a full day and a half of battery life with out having to re-charge. Prior to the OS update I'd get closer to ten minutes with very little use.

Am I just seeing things or has anyone else noticed this as well?
  2. tfp
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,715 Global Posts

Default Re: Battery Life on Dev Alpha

From 10 minutes to 36 hours? Wow that must be some impressive OS management that they've included.
    Don't take Life so seriously, you'll never get out alive
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Hey, I don't make this stuff up

I've left the DA for two full days on standby and still end up with at least a quarter charge and in full use I've gone over a day (say 7am to 11pm in a day). Prior to the update, I really couldn't get more than ten minutes of active use before the battery was in the red. I'm not sure if its just me or are others experiencing the same WoW factor with batter life.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Yep,

I'm getting the same results. On 10.0.4, the phone would last an hour at best (without a cell or wifi connection) and it would also get really hot.
    Since the 10.0.9 upgrade I get about two days (with Wifi on)

I havent tested how long it lasts on just the cell network because I opted in to the data collection agreement when I setup BB10 and didn't want to go over my data allowance. I'm going to test that once my new billing cycle starts.
    CrackBerry Addict

Hard to explain but I believe that the earlier OS builds had the processor on a constant max speed. No idle regulation build in the OS.

I was able to enter the CPU speed which would pop up on the lower left hand side in red small text always overlaid on the screen. The CPU speed never changed. I was able to enter it again in the newest OS and the CPU is controlled. But I was only able to enter it once since the update.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by Cozz4ever View Post
    I was able to enter the CPU speed which would pop up on the lower left hand side in red small text always overlaid on the screen. The CPU speed never changed. I was able to enter it again in the newest OS and the CPU is controlled. But I was only able to enter it once since the update.
    A diagonal swipe from the top-left corner brings up the diagnostics overlay.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    5,218 Global Posts

The battery life is vastly improved on 10.0.9, with the addition of at least some power management (which was largely or entirely lacking in the earlier versions).

Anyone should be able to get well over a day, probably closer to two, assuming they're not using it the whole time. As with the PlayBook, having the screen on uses by far the bulk of the energy used...

That said, "ten minutes" was an exceptional case... almost nobody else has reported that. Generally speaking anyone should have been able to get more like 4-5 hours previously, or somewhat longer.

Don't go solely by the % level indicator, however... it's still somewhat unreliable. Also note that odd things can happen like how, when charging, it may get to 95% or so and still show the lightning bolt, suggesting that it's charging, when in fact it's actually stopped charging and has begun draining.

It all bodes fairly well for release, however, since there's certainly much room for improvement even now.
    Battery Guru for BB10 tracks voltage, power, battery health. (Also on the PlayBook.) White Noise helps you sleep or concentrate.
    Follow us on Twitter or Facebook or visit Engenuity's mobile apps page.
    Thanked by:
    Masahiro (10-25-2012) 
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rizla View Post
    A diagonal swipe from the top-left corner brings up the diagnostics overlay.
    Yup that's the one. It no longer works on my alpha. But then again, it's no longer showing a charge when it's plugged in neither
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,684 Global Posts

PS the charge meter only shows by 5%. I havent seen it at 84% or an odd non divisible by 5 power meter yet.
    CrackBerry Genius

The Dev Alpa was basically not usable before the BB10 update. The previous OS was absolutely horrendous in terms of power usage. I would get 100% one minute and then 5% the other. On BB10, you can see that the OLED screen is doing its job. I changed the background of the Dev Alpha to a complete black image and dimmer the brightness down. That really extended the batter life of the Dev Alpha (and I have it on wifi all day). I'm really looking forward to seeing it on the final device (I think it should be able to get someone throughout the day (unlike my Droid, which saps a TON of battery if you are using it a lot).
    CrackBerry User

anybody tried it on 3g data turn on? how is your batt life? especially after a bash of bbm with friends?
    CrackBerry User

any idea how battery life is on the dev alpha b? supposed to have the same battery that the full touch screen bb10 will be coming out with.
    CrackBerry Abuser

So, I took the original Dev Alpha off of the charger at 8:00 am today. At 4:00pm it was sitting at 75% left. This is on standby only with WIFI and Cell radios on,with a full H+ signal.
    And by "Standby" I mean the screen was off except for the 4 or 5 times that I unlocked it to check the battery meter in settings. Display on lowest setting. Backlight timeout at 10 seconds. Standyby timeout at 30 seconds.

You could interpret that to mean that it uses up 3% per hour on standby, but as we all should know by now, take this information with a grain of salt. The power meter on Tablet OS and BB10 is finicky.
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    2B1BC93C

Thanks for the information.

What about if you use it throughout the day? What's battery looking like then? Like usual use. Twitter, FB, phone calls, texting, emails, an hour or 2 of gaming, and using apps for about 2 hours.

I'd like to know how long it lasts. From what I've read in this thread, it seems like it should handle all of that well for about 15 hours. Which a full day about.
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by greatwiseone View Post
    The Dev Alpa was basically not usable before the BB10 update. The previous OS was absolutely horrendous in terms of power usage. I would get 100% one minute and then 5% the other. On BB10, you can see that the OLED screen is doing its job. I changed the background of the Dev Alpha to a complete black image and dimmer the brightness down. That really extended the batter life of the Dev Alpha (and I have it on wifi all day). I'm really looking forward to seeing it on the final device (I think it should be able to get someone throughout the day (unlike my Droid, which saps a TON of battery if you are using it a lot).
    Isn't Dev Alpha LCD? :S I thought upcoming BB10 phones were supposed to be LCD as well?
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    963 Global Posts

I heard it was going to be OLED. But isn't OLED terrible in sunlight?

I have a Zune HD and I can see NOTHING when there is sun. 0!
    Stuff
    CrackBerry User

Default Battery Life on Dev Alpha

ohno.... Please not the oled...please! all my Samsung buddies struggle with the smallest ray of sunlight. need to take the weardest poses to get the info the screen tries to show them.... I only need a smal glance to get the info of my 9810! even in the full sun!!!!!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Abuser

The first full touchscreen BB10 will have LCDs like the DevAlphas, while the keyboard device will be AMOLED. Subsequent BB10 devices should also have AMOLED screens (I guess that's why they change the resolution to 1280x720 as it's more common and such AMOLED screens are already available) although that is subject to change according to the leaked slides.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    963 Global Posts

Why AMOLED? There's no advantage. I use my BlackBerry so much outdoors and I can't imagine having to be like an android person squinting to see letters.
    Stuff