Assuming rim didn't need to focus on developing a solid bb10 product I think they could have had some succcess with the alpha device ( or similar to it! ).

Once bb10 phones hit the market we should have a pretty decent appworld. Games from the playbook and any new ones for bb10 all should work.

That being said had rim took out some of the hardware for phone calls, gps and what else they might be able to produce a fairly inexpensive device.

The extra device might also draw more attention for developers and so on.

I also think it might help drive down costs for other devices by leveraging the extra volume. Things like screens, ram and processors.

This is just some ramblings but what do you guys think.
    Last edited by Double_J75; 05-12-12 at 11:18 AM.
    05-12-12 11:14 AM
    I would love a BB 10 "itouch" one that was NFC enabled and as you suggested put the $$ toward screen, ram & processor goodies. I think the unified ecosystem they're going for will allow for devices like this to exist in the foreseeable future. I still say QNX "Laptops", watches and media devices should come out. Especially seeing as RIM has always been about multiple form factors, at least with their handsets.

I also think they should be getting BB brick and mortar stores in America but that's a whole other topic. Or throw up in store kiosks like Apple does in Best Buy, somewhere else...
    05-12-12 11:29 AM
    Good ideas... except the app world part... Unless RIM can pull out 250,000 apps all you will hear is the chorus about how there are "not many apps" sad but true....
    05-12-12 11:58 AM
    I'd be interested to know how the app worlds compare to each other from a percent stand point.

So while rim is trailing in total apps are they adding say 10% each year while the competition is growing at 5%

I'm just throwing out random numbers obviously.
    05-12-12 12:55 PM
    I'd be interested to know how the app worlds compare to each other from a percent stand point.

So while rim is trailing in total apps are they adding say 10% each year while the competition is growing at 5%

I'm just throwing out random numbers obviously.
    The quantity is not the problem. It's not having the big name apps.
    05-12-12 01:02 PM
    Hey guys, I started a thread which is discussing the rumoured "Rubicon" and I personally am predicting that RIM will enter the "Laptop" market, with the future of Laptops and not something so simple as what we know a laptop to be today...people are getting into ecosystems and the average user doesnt need EVERYTHING in laptops/computers...people like browsing web, using email, pictures, music...whatever...so check out that discussion under General Discussion, here is the link to that discussion if you are curious about it, and there have been other people sounding off on their views!

http://forums.crackberry.com/general...ubicon-723046/

As for this topic I actually got into that as well on the other thread and said this...

It simply is not enough to release smartphones anymore in this market...Apple has iPod, iPhone, iPad, MacBook, etc...a whole array of devices to get users locked in to their ecosystem...Microsoft has (will have) Windows 8 devices all around the board...and Samsung has their own Galaxy Player, Laptops (running windows but still), cameras, etc.

RIM will surely fail if they can not keep up with the future...and the future is that people do not want 5 devices all from different manufacturers which all have different settings and profiles...What Apple has proven these past 5 years is that people love the simplistic way, and the fact that they have all devices covered people can purchase movies and music and listen and watch them on every single device...something we will see happen with all companies...

RIM must compete, and as most people will say its too late, or RIM shouldn't bother trying...they HAVE to...they absolutely can not survive in the market with phones and tablets only...a media player investors may not appreciate or like, but it would be a natural progression towards having a complete ecosystem for BlackBerry users.

So with that being said, RIM absolutely should get a direct competitor to the iTouch, and the app situation isnt there yet, but RIM is actively pursuing developers, with paying them to develop, and more incentives developers will begin to adopt the platform
    James Nieves likes this.
    05-12-12 01:13 PM
    Here is a great article touching on some issues...

BlackBerry 10’s open secret: It’s aimed at the walled garden - The Globe and Mail

near the end it says how RIM is putting alot of their cards in developing HTML5, and this platform is believed to be the future standard! and if developers begin developing with HTML5 then that is a developing service that is compatible on all devices able to play HTML5 which will be all of them in the future...which means that RIM provides great hardware and UI experience on BB10 and offers the main consumer apps to push sales, and once HTML5 becomes widely used, RIM will be on par with apps as they will be developed for ALL devices rather than having to choose...this means RIM can focus on hardware and UI experience and the app situation will in the near future not be what everyone is talking about...
    05-12-12 01:16 PM
    Here is a great article touching on some issues...

BlackBerry 10’s open secret: It’s aimed at the walled garden - The Globe and Mail

near the end it says how RIM is putting alot of their cards in developing HTML5, and this platform is believed to be the future standard! and if developers begin developing with HTML5 then that is a developing service that is compatible on all devices able to play HTML5 which will be all of them in the future...which means that RIM provides great hardware and UI experience on BB10 and offers the main consumer apps to push sales, and once HTML5 becomes widely used, RIM will be on par with apps as they will be developed for ALL devices rather than having to choose...this means RIM can focus on hardware and UI experience and the app situation will in the near future not be what everyone is talking about...
    the g&m article has some minor inaccuracies like calling html5 a NEW, PROGRAMMING language (two inaccuracies). just saying.
    05-12-12 04:17 PM
    the g&m article has some minor inaccuracies like calling html5 a NEW, PROGRAMMING language (two inaccuracies). just saying.
    Indeed, if one wants to be technical, HTML5 is a markup language, not a programming language. See here.
    05-12-12 06:00 PM
    I see it from the PlayBook AppWorld. You need major developers of free services/apps which currently is limited to a very very few.

One thing I loved with (dead) webOS was their attempt at unified messaging, put it all in, in a single BlackBerry app, including Skype, GTalk, Facebook Messenger, AIM, iChat that would totally rock.
    05-14-12 04:54 PM
    I see it from the PlayBook AppWorld. You need major developers of free services/apps which currently is limited to a very very few.

One thing I loved with (dead) webOS was their attempt at unified messaging, put it all in, in a single BlackBerry app, including Skype, GTalk, Facebook Messenger, AIM, iChat that would totally rock.
    That would make it a lot easier when using multiple messengers. Let's hope that rim adds something like it.
    05-15-12 10:08 AM
    I don't think it would work out. The whole iPod touch idea is starting to die off. If they made something like that it would probably be brushed off just like the Samsung Galaxy Player.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    05-15-12 10:21 AM
    I don't think it would work out. The whole iPod touch idea is starting to die off. If they made something like that it would probably be brushed off just like the Samsung Galaxy Player.

I agree......I think the idea of 1 "do everything" devise is more appealing to most, at the end of the day.
    I have 2 daughters....a collage grad this year (blackberry), and high school junior (droid gs2). They both carried an iTouch for a while (which I bagged on them both relentlessly for) until they figured out the music players were just as good in there phones.
    My collage grad doesn't play games on her 9810....my HS'er does on her droid.
    Neither one uses the iDevice anymore...(dad's deff cool w/that )
    05-18-12 07:38 AM
    You are right there is no need to have another device if you have a smart phone. Most kids are not old enough to have a smart phone (although that age group is getting younger all the time).

An device like the ipod would be better suited to kids under 12 or so.
    05-18-12 05:34 PM
    I agree......I think the idea of 1 "do everything" devise is more appealing to most, at the end of the day.
    I have 2 daughters....a collage grad this year (blackberry), and high school junior (droid gs2). They both carried an iTouch for a while (which I bagged on them both relentlessly for) until they figured out the music players were just as good in there phones.
    My collage grad doesn't play games on her 9810....my HS'er does on her droid.
    Neither one uses the iDevice anymore...(dad's deff cool w/that )
    Exactly. Before getting the 4S I carried around a BlackBerry and an iPod touch. Carrying two devices around is a huge pain.

05-19-12 08:41 PM
    Again I believe two devices are not ideal but young children do not need a smartphone with a data plan.

If anything portable gaming device might help them make choose the same maker when they are old enough to get a smartphone. I say this because they woyld be familiar with the device, and hopefully any paid content will be carried over.

To me it seems like a good way of getting their hooks into future users.
    05-20-12 07:21 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD