The main reason is because I wonder will Q10 only be limited to a certain masses who likes physical QWERTY keyboard until they're willing to sacrifice screen estate?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not fanning any hate on the device here, I'm one of the few who go for QWERTY Q10 keyboard instead of Z10.

PROBLEM #1 Game apps.
    Most game are written in landscape /portrait ratio. Although 1:1 is do-able, but how many devs willing to port it just for Q10?

Not many from iOS/Android port to Z10 although they share almost similar aspect ratio as well as super easy porting tools developed by BlackBerry. Not to mention extra work for Q10's square screen.

SOLUTION - Unless Q10 are sold in a very high number until it catches up with iOS/Android. But I don't think this will happen anytime soon. Monetizing is pretty much the standard of developing apps these days.

PROBLEM #2 Letterboxing media content
    For picture it isn't much of a problem, users can choose to take pic in different aspect ratios, and can pinch to zoom.

The problem comes with video. Horrible letterboxing of HD videos on the Q10, have to squint to watch anything. But making it to 1:1 aspect ratio will miss out most of the contents.

SOLUTION - I won't mind if the Q10 has a huge screen until letterboxing isn't an issue. Watching video on a square monitor works well with letterboxing, because of the huge screen estate.

So here's my two main problem with the Q10.
    IMHO Q10 will always remain a device for keyboard fans and productivity, not for the masses.

Currently the solution for BlackBerry would be developing a torch like slider phone, but there's a reason Bold 9900 sells better than Torch 9810, some people doesn't like extra action of sliding their phone up everytime.

I'm foreseeing some other technology which haven't been explored yet, such as adding another display on the Q10's back for user to utilize the full HD aspect, like Two New DreamBerry BlackBerry 11 Slider Concepts Emerge! | CrackBerry.com However that'll need some time to implement.

Anybody has other opinion of how BlackBerry can overcome this problem?
    05-14-13 05:27 AM
    I don't think Q10 users place the same importance on games and media. Their phone is primarily for communication and productivity. They realize and accept that it is a trade-off.
    05-14-13 07:05 AM
    Keypad for BB users are essential, but the market is small compared to those who willing the trade off for bigger screen estate.

I think a fusion of Q10&Z10 would be BlackBerry's winner. Just need to find some ways to implement it...
    05-14-13 08:04 AM
    From Standardizing on Screen Resolutions for BlackBerry 10 devices �BlackBerry Developer Blog ( back in Aug 2012 )

We’ve listened, we’ve learned, and we are now telling you that moving forward new smartphones will be standardizing on the following screen resolutions which will allow you to design your applications to fit two main form factors:

Full touch devices: 1280 x 720 (16:9)
    Keyboard devices: 720 x720 (1:1)
    05-14-13 09:54 AM
    From Standardizing on Screen Resolutions for BlackBerry 10 devices �BlackBerry Developer Blog ( back in Aug 2012 )

We’ve listened, we’ve learned, and we are now telling you that moving forward new smartphones will be standardizing on the following screen resolutions which will allow you to design your applications to fit two main form factors:

Full touch devices: 1280 x 720 (16:9)
    Keyboard devices: 720 x720 (1:1)
    haha i'm not confused with the resolution, I just think this is not "for the future" or for the masses.
    05-14-13 01:57 PM
    My previous comment was in response to the title of this thread: Is 720x720resolution (1:1) square aspect ratio here to stay?
    And the answer is apparently yes.

But we know than BlackBerry got some ideas since they filled for the following patents which - I think - are relevant to your question/comments.

See
    - All BlackBerry All the Time: RIM Patent for a Rotating Keyboard
    - RIM BlackBerry patent describes convertible touchscreen/QWERTY phone - SlashGear
    - RIM Patents Illustrate Reinvention of BlackBerry & Beyond - Patent Bolt
    - I am sure we can find more of these ...

But again - do we really want add more to all the speculation we can see on this forum ?
    05-14-13 03:33 PM
    Everytime I see my DAC i think it should be possible to have a 1280 x 720 display attached to a keyboard to make a larger phone that has it all without moving parts. It surely was impossible very little ago but if you see how far has Samsung S4 has gone in making the screen attach to the borders, I can imagine a phone that attach the display to the top very closely and put the speaker and the camera at the laterals or at the rear or the camera between the keys so you gain that 70% of large missed.
    05-15-13 01:54 AM
    I was a fan of the Palm devices (160x160) so I like the square screen a lot.
    05-20-13 02:20 PM
    Yes, Palm (160x160), then Windows Mobile i780 (320x320) and now Q10 (720x720)
    05-20-13 10:44 PM
    Yep I know people has preference, that's why q10 sells :P
    But the thing is general mass preferred a big screen over a small one, and from a BlackBerry's standpoint it is better to produce one 'global' phone cater for everybody... I imagine a phone with z10's screen and a q10's keypad. That will definitely be the best phone ever.

Posted via CB10
    05-21-13 01:30 AM