So, like me, i'm guessing many of you are wondering whats powering this puppy. I'm just curious to see if anyone will disassemble their unit to show us it's guts? Just for s**** and giggles to see whats to come? Someone PLEASE do it!
    05-02-12 10:02 PM
    It's the Colt, as referenced in PB hardware since original firmwares.

It's still OMAP4460 and everything else is still the same.

It's revision 6 of the colt though, so some things probably changed but nothing significant to hardware.
    05-02-12 11:25 PM
    I'm not sure how many will do that, seeing that they will get a limited edition BB10 device upon return of the Alpha device.
    05-02-12 11:48 PM
    I'm so terribly jealous of everyone who got one...
    05-03-12 05:39 PM
    dont be, its practically useless unless you are planning on developing. even if they release the final version of BBOS10 for it, the relatively small battery will still render it impractical to use as a phone or even tablet- this is rather disappointing for me as i was hoping to use it as a spare phone after the final software is out
    Last edited by afhstingray; 05-03-12 at 05:46 PM.
    05-03-12 05:41 PM
    dont be, its practically useless unless you are planning on developing. even if they release the final version of BBOS10 for it, the relatively small battery will still render it impractical to use as a phone or even tablet- this is rather disappointing for me as i was hoping to use it as a spare phone after the final software is out
    you can trade it in for a limited edition BB10 device when they come out, so I don't see why you'd be disappointed
    Last edited by sergeh; 05-03-12 at 11:21 PM.
    05-03-12 06:27 PM
    you can trade it in for a limited edition BB10 device when they come out, so I don't see why you'd be disappointed

Click to view quoted image
    you cant, based on what i heard you have to publish an app and get it approved to app world before you qualify for the trade. and im based in singapore, no idea if they'll do it there too.

but then again, i am considered "press" by RIM and they do send me freebies!
    05-03-12 06:54 PM
    you cant, based on what i heard you have to publish an app and get it approved to app world before you qualify for the trade. and im based in singapore, no idea if they'll do it there too.

but then again, i am considered "press" by RIM and they do send me freebies!
    It doesn't have to be a "quality" app, any old app will do, right?

Plus I just realized a minute ago that we have free data on this thing. I guess we'll have that until launch?
    05-03-12 07:00 PM
    only US residents got the sim card. I guess i'll try my hand at a simple app lol. havent developed anything for a long time
    05-03-12 07:21 PM
    Given the fact that they have already mentioned that trade-in offer for qualifying developers, I wouldn't be at all surprised if these dev alpha devices have an expiry date built into the software to prevent people using outdated alpha hw, especially if they weren't actually developing anything for it.
    05-04-12 08:39 AM
    How much "Total Memory" does it have? Same 1GB as the PlayBook?
    05-11-12 11:07 PM
    Yes, 1GB.
    I think they are working on decreasing memory usage and future devices will have too.
    kemj and jerryeight like this.
    05-12-12 12:45 AM
    It doesn't have to be a "quality" app, any old app will do, right?

Plus I just realized a minute ago that we have free data on this thing. I guess we'll have that until launch?
    Only US residents got SIM cards,
    and those SIM Cards wont work when you leave the US, as a friend of mine who managed to get one has since found out
    05-12-12 10:35 AM
    The demo units they were using on the podiums at BB World?
    Does anyone know/think they had the exact same guts as the Dev Alpha?
    They looked butterly smooth.
    05-27-12 06:45 AM
    As far as we know, all the Dev Alphas are the same. RIM has said their people are using the same dev hardware that we have now (those of us with Alphas, anyway).

They're definitely snappier than the PB. The CPU is only 50% faster by clock speed alone, but the general feel of things is that it's about 2x faster, e.g. for opening apps.
    05-27-12 11:17 AM
    Be patient for bb10. No sense in being a green eyed gazonga monster.

As far as we know, all the Dev Alphas are the same. RIM has said their people are using the same dev hardware that we have now (those of us with Alphas, anyway).

They're definitely snappier than the PB. The CPU is only 50% faster by clock speed alone, but the general feel of things is that it's about 2x faster, e.g. for opening apps.
    Glad to know that there are improvements in performance. That's what I like to hear.
    06-03-12 05:26 PM
    Some specs from the Blackberry 10 Dev alpha device:

-OMAP4460 SoC dual-core 1.5GHz Cortex-A9 with a PowerVR SGX540@384 MHz
    -1GB DDR Ram
    -16GB non-removable storage
    -4.2" screen, 1280 X 768 resolution, 300+ DPI
    -Network: Quad Band HSPA+, Quad band GSM/EDGE
    -Micro-SIM slot
    -NFC reader/writer
    -WIFI b/g/n
    -Bluetooth 2.1 +EDR (possibly upgraded to 3.0 at launch time)
    -MicroUSB socket
    -Mini HDMI out
    -Weight: 130 grams
    -Non-replaceable battery, mAh non disclosed by RIM.

Now the camera specifications:
    Back camera:
    -8.0 MP (4:3): 3264 x 2448 pixels
    -6.0 MP (16:9): 3264 x 1836 pixels (Landscape or Wide)
    -1080p/720p video recording with stabilization.
    -Autofocus, f./2.2
    -LED flash.

Front camera:
    -Fixed focus
    -3.1 MP (4:3): 2048 x 1536 pixels
    -2.4 MP (16:9): 2048 x 1152 pixels
    -1080p/720p video recording.
    Superfly_FR and Chrisd534 like this.
    07-16-12 07:57 AM
    Some specs from the Blackberry 10 Dev alpha device:

-OMAP4460 SoC dual-core 1.5GHz Cortex-A9 with a PowerVR SGX540@384 MHz
    -1GB DDR Ram
    -16GB non-removable storage
    -4.2" screen, 1280 X 768 resolution, 300+ DPI
    -Network: Quad Band HSPA+, Quad band GSM/EDGE
    -Micro-SIM slot
    -NFC reader/writer
    -WIFI b/g/n
    -Bluetooth 2.1 +EDR (possibly upgraded to 3.0 at launch time)
    -MicroUSB socket
    -Mini HDMI out
    -Weight: 130 grams
    -Non-replaceable battery, mAh non disclosed by RIM.

Now the camera specifications:
    Back camera:
    -8.0 MP (4:3): 3264 x 2448 pixels
    -6.0 MP (16:9): 3264 x 1836 pixels (Landscape or Wide)
    -1080p/720p video recording with stabilization.
    -Autofocus, f./2.2
    -LED flash.

Front camera:
    -Fixed focus
    -3.1 MP (4:3): 2048 x 1536 pixels
    -2.4 MP (16:9): 2048 x 1152 pixels
    -1080p/720p video recording.
    1400 mAh as stated by xsacha
    07-16-12 11:36 AM
    "what's under THE hood"

HAHAHA, too easy!

Ooo you mean figuratively...
    07-16-12 02:51 PM

Hey Peter,

I've been curious, what are the browser page load speeds when compared to the PB? Is it noticeably faster, and how is checkerboarding when compared to the PB? Engadget.com is a good example for testing.
    07-17-12 11:26 AM

50 percent is a nice jump in processing power
    07-17-12 11:32 AM
    50 percent is a nice jump in processing power
    It is, though I've (since posting that) been told that the Alpha clock is still 1GHz, and the performance boost I've noticed is because it has a version of the OMAP chip which has working NEON instructions, so they've enabled NEON in the OS build. Apparently that makes a huge difference. Supposedly some PlayBooks have OMAPs with bugs in the NEON stuff so they couldn't enable it across the board, so they disabled it across the board instead...
    07-17-12 02:17 PM
    I've been curious, what are the browser page load speeds when compared to the PB? Is it noticeably faster, and how is checkerboarding when compared to the PB? Engadget.com is a good example for testing.
    Sorry, but I haven't tried the browser much, since it's so crippled and I'm more interested in testing my own apps. Maybe when the update comes out (today, we hope!) it will become useful enough to start checking things like browser checkerboarding.
    07-17-12 02:19 PM
    It is, though I've (since posting that) been told that the Alpha clock is still 1GHz, and the performance boost I've noticed is because it has a version of the OMAP chip which has working NEON instructions, so they've enabled NEON in the OS build. Apparently that makes a huge difference. Supposedly some PlayBooks have OMAPs with bugs in the NEON stuff so they couldn't enable it across the board, so they disabled it across the board instead...
    Really?

This is actually news to me and a lot of us here because we were under the impression that the Dev Alpha was using the TI OMAP 4460.

In terms of the PlayBook, I think it was some of the earlier ones, since they fixed the power button, I'm starting to think that's not the only modification they made.
    07-17-12 03:33 PM
    Yes it is the OMAP 4460 on the Dev Alpha. They have just underclocked it to 1.0GHz.
    07-17-12 08:18 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD