Hi,

Is there a sat nav app that works on the Z10?

Cheers.
    02-17-13 03:23 PM
    Do you mean other than the built in Maps app? I have use the built in maps app to guide me out of a bad place in Gatineau. Worked like a charm, looked just like any other sat nav device I have seen.
    02-17-13 03:29 PM
    Do you mean other than the built in Maps app? I have use the built in maps app to guide me out of a bad place in Gatineau. Worked like a charm, looked just like any other sat nav device I have seen.
    I was referring to a TomTom/Navman type car sat nav. An app that with provides step by step instructions, traffic updates, etc.
    02-17-13 03:35 PM
    There should be some partnership between BlackBerry™ and TomTom™, but no clue when we will see offline sat nav on our Z10s.
    I sideloaded Sygic for Android, but is not working at all. Havent tried with any other apps of this kind.
    02-17-13 04:02 PM
    The maps in Z10 do give you voice guided step by step, just like a gps..

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-17-13 04:09 PM
    You can also side load Google maps with navigation, it works well

02-17-13 04:10 PM
    Question, can google map navigation work offline?

Posted via CB10
    02-17-13 04:13 PM
    Magellan is pretty good.

BTW, if you bought it for the Playbook, it should already show as "available" for you in BB World on a Z10.
    thisisnotausername likes this.
    02-17-13 04:15 PM
    The Google maps I have on the Playbook has the option to save the maps offline. The Google maps I have on my z10 crashes if I click the settings button, so I can't save them offline.

02-17-13 04:18 PM
    Thanks for your response

Posted via CB10
    02-17-13 04:20 PM
    02-17-13 04:35 PM
    There should be some partnership between BlackBerry™ and TomTom™, but no clue when we will see offline sat nav on our Z10s.
    I sideloaded Sygic for Android, but is not working at all. Havent tried with any other apps of this kind.
    BlackBerry owns TomTom
    02-17-13 05:07 PM
    BlackBerry owns TomTom
    Pretty sure that is not the case. BB is just using TomTom, as is Apple maps.
    02-17-13 06:16 PM
    I am not certain if the app is better or worse than others, but I was more than pleased with the way it worked. I asked my daughter to use the phone to take us home, I was driving and could offer little help. She figured it out in seconds and the voice nav guided me our of Gatineau ****. The graphics looked good too, just like other GPS nav systems I have seen in other cars.

I have tried typing in places, business names etc. I got perfect results, but I do live in Ottawa, so maybe it is mapped better than others. The GPS activites fast, and the UI seems natural to me.

Posted via CB10
    02-17-13 07:13 PM
    I've used Wise pilot for a couple of days and it seems clear and works well.

There is also a free five day app trial for the uk.

Posted via CB10
    02-20-13 04:35 PM
    I just saved Nokia Here on my home screen and will try it out on the way to band practice tonight. Looks good and has voice turn by turn but is web based. Cool...

m.here.com
    02-20-13 04:46 PM
    Google maps does not work reliably for me. It loses gps signal after a few minutes. Built in BlackBerry maps works fine.

Posted via CB10
    02-20-13 05:35 PM
    I just found and installed nogago maps. It's free and all the maps are free too, you download from within the app. It took a long time to download my local map, it's an android port and says it has navigation. It seems to run smoothly, I haven't been anywhere with it yet.
    02-20-13 05:49 PM
    Sadly the only time so far I tried to use maps as a sat nav it froze and never updated itself. Thankfully had my Garmin sat nav on to so never got lost. Not tried it again yet, so not sure if it was a one off or not.

Posted via CB10
    02-20-13 05:54 PM
    If Nogago is the same one as on the PB it is not built for car travel. Just walking/hiking/biking
    02-21-13 02:04 AM
    BB built in satnav sucks
    no zoom while driving, if I said "basic graphic" I'd exaggerate,
    loading map details takes ages, approx 3-4 times longer than side loaded Google navigation

Google maps keeps dropping gps fix
    Navigator, works fine but its very androish and UI needs a stylus
    Mireo crashes on startup

Gonna test wisepilot today
    02-23-13 06:33 AM
    Thanks for your input. I look forward to seeing your view on WisePoint
    02-23-13 06:51 AM
    Tested WisePilot a few hours today.

Works fine, smooth navigation, quick re routing, clear graphics and voice guidance
    I have the same app on my Xperia android phone so I could easily compare.
    5 days free trial is greatly appreciated,
    UI not perfect on Z10, again its an android port not a native BB10 app but the the experience has been so far the best of all navigation apps I've tested on Z10.

Too bad many options, number of clicks before navigation starts,
    makes its too complicated for frequent everyday use (for me, I visit several location a day, keep searching new locations etc)
    30EUR seem to be too expensive if I know its not going to be my main satnav app in the long term.
    If someone needs to use it to get from A-B, quickly find POI, avoid traffic jams etc highly recommended
    02-23-13 04:04 PM
    I quite liked the 'M8' sat nav app on the earlier BBOS and it was available free.
    Icarus3000 likes this.
    02-24-13 04:33 AM
    Google maps does not work reliably for me. It loses gps signal after a few minutes. Built in BlackBerry maps works fine.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, BB Maps is good enough for me too. A basic navigation app with bird's eye view and voice guidance that's worked for me. Street view, zooming, and off-line would be nice to have and should come in future updates.

Given the alternatives out there this is the best available IMHO. All Google Maps versions I've side loaded have not worked due to the GPS signal not locking in. Haven't tried the other paid apps but from the comments I read there's always a negatve in some way.

I have seen GPS Maps for Google Maps and Magellan in App World. Anyone tried these? I'm hesistant trying anything Google due to that GPS problem and I'm not familiar with the Magellan UI.
    02-24-13 08:23 AM
34 12