Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default will there be BlackBerry traffic app for z10?

I use BlackBerry Traffic app on a daily basis on my Bold 9900 but I am disappointed that my Z10 did not come with BlackBerry traffic.
    Because of this I have to use my z10 hot spot to feed data to bold so I can get my traffic update on my 1hr commute.

Anyone know if BlackBerry ever going to release traffic app for Z10?
    MizzCrack likes this.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Traffic is part of Maps on BB10.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Newbie

BlackBerry Traffic is NOT integrated into the mapping application. As before the map application does basic navigation, but not the time saving functionality of BlackBerry Traffic.

For me the lack of BB Traffic on the "10" operating system would cause me to down grade to an older model, as it saves me hours of grief every day.
    MizzCrack likes this.
    CrackBerry User

Everyone is different. Personally I have never found traffic function works or is useful on any sat nav. Phone or otherwise. The maps turn by turn works great for me, and I don't miss my Bb9900 at all.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry User

Same here, i want traffic too.
    MizzCrack likes this.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default blackberry traffic

very disappointed I can't find BB traffic for my Z10. Used it every day on my Torch. It was very accurate. Hope they consider adding it.
    MizzCrack likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Turn by turn is integrated into BlackBerry maps, and it's as good as before, if you want other options, there are free navigation apps available, I use Waze along side with BlackBerry maps.

I miss the ability to send eta to friends tho.

Posted via CB10 on my zed10

ok. let's face it. Most people who suggest using BlackBerry Maps, never used or understood BlackBerry Traffic. it's called traffic, not turn by turn navigation. BlackBerry maps is great at navigation, but it doesn't take into the account traffic conditions. BlackBerry Traffic is not for navigating into unknown cities, it's for everyday commute. sure they added turn by turn, which is great and works well, but main thing is traffic. have you ever seen traffic update while navigating in BlackBerry Maps? i don't think so. I want my BlackBerry Traffic on Z10, and I'm not willing to zoom in and out while driving on a tiny little map. I want my list off color coded streets and timeline.

cheers

Posted via CB10
    MizzCrack likes this.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    36 Global Posts

Default AMEN!

Please, please, please, will a BB App developer please make BB Traffic for us BBT junkies?

Three year old Curve crapped out while on vacation in April. Since it was "close" to BB10 release (why was I surprised with yet another delay in the release?), I used an i**** while waiting for the Q10. For six weeks I tried nearly every free traffic app in the App Store. Each have some features of BB Traffic, but none have all. I limped along without my beloved BB Traffic by to running two apps at once, one for turn by turn (a crowd sourced app), the other for accuracy (which cost me $25 for the fully functioning version).

Unfortunately when traveling in an unfamiliar area over the weekend, the two disagreed on the routes continuously. Since it was not wise to keep looking at a stupid little map with no turn-by-turn while driving alone, I mistakenly followed the crowd app. It cost me. Big time! I sat on I-5 between San Diego and Orange County for 3 hours. The I-15 route suggested by the other app would have taken me half the time. For those familiar with the area, there is a very long stretch of highway (15 miles or so?) with absolutely no where to turn around. There were no accidents or incidents, just standard summer weekend traffic according to the locals. This would never have happened with BB Traffic.

It finally occurred to me...these crowd sourced apps show where everyone else is, which is where I don't want to be. They are oblivious to lesser traveled roads, which is where I want to be. Duh.

BB Traffic got me to my destinations within 1-2 minutes of the ETA for two years. I have tried to outsmart the 'Berry Traffic for two years and always lose. I have put BB Traffic up against every non-BB device that has entered my vehicle for two years. They always lose. What is in the secret sauce?!?!

The only thing keeping me away from BB10 was lack of BB Traffic. I give up. I will either be one of those people with a duct-taped Curve with a busted keypad paired with a brand spanking new Q10, or become an app developer. Whatever it takes to survive LA traffic.

Thanks for reading.

[Please be gentle with the bashing. I already got bashed twice tonight: once by the Verizon sales rep for even purchasing a BlackBerry, then again with the price tag of $350 out the door ($200 price tag, $30 VZW upgrade fee, Republic of California tax-on-full amount ('bout $50), plus $120 in accessories).]

First Time Poster, Q10 Owner and Future Q10 Lover.
    eninrebmun likes this.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    36 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by skwarek View Post
    ok. let's face it. Most people who suggest using BlackBerry Maps, never used or understood BlackBerry Traffic. it's called traffic, not turn by turn navigation. BlackBerry maps is great at navigation, but it doesn't take into the account traffic conditions
    AMEN!
    CrackBerry Wiseguy

Global Posts
    12,725 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by skwarek View Post
    ok. let's face it. Most people who suggest using BlackBerry Maps, never used or understood BlackBerry Traffic...
    True, because it was only ever available in the US and Canada... not much use for those of us in 'the rest of the world '
    That's Phill with 2 L's
    Thanked by:
    MizzCrack (06-18-2013) 
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    36 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Phill_UK View Post
    True, because it was only ever available in the US and Canada... not much use for those of us in 'the rest of the world '
    Ahhh, I did not know that the 'rest of the world' had missed out. Thank you.
    BTW, I love TROTW...you've kept BB alive!
    CrackBerry Genius

There is a "avoid traffic" function on BlackBerry maps. I never really tested to see how effective it is though

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    554 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bobshine View Post
    There is a "avoid traffic" function on BlackBerry maps. I never really tested to see how effective it is though

Posted via CB10
    I use the avoid traffic function...works very nicely. It also warns me if an accident has been reported. The only thing I miss from Traffic is the share ETA.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by pgg101 View Post
    I use the avoid traffic function...works very nicely. It also warns me if an accident has been reported. The only thing I miss from Traffic is the share ETA.

Posted via CB10
    Nice! What area are you?

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry User

blackberry traffic is by far the one thing i miss most since switching from my 9350 to the Q10. i have a very long commute, and blackberry traffic is something i used daily. i really hope blackberry hasn't decided to abandon this going forward on the BB10 devices.

-- eldee
    MizzCrack likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    554 Global Posts

Nice! What area are you?

Posted via CB10
    Toronto area, Canada

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Abuser

Is the 'avoid traffic' option one of those enhancements to maps in 10.1? Because I do not have it on 10.0 with Verizon.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by kmcobra64 View Post
    Is the 'avoid traffic' option one of those enhancements to maps in 10.1? Because I do not have it on 10.0 with Verizon.

Posted via CB10
    I am not sure. I don't use BlackBerry traffic that much. Maybe it's a 10.1 update... it's in the section where you have "avoid tolls"

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Abuser

I am not sure. I don't use BlackBerry traffic that much. Maybe it's a 10.1 update... it's in the section where you have "avoid tolls"

Posted via CB10
    Ha I don't have that option either. Damn, didn't know there were cool maps updates that came with 10.1.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,152 Global Posts
    PIN
    2aed1ace

Yes, BB Traffic is improved in 10.1. If you select "avoid traffic" it routes you around it. Even if you don't select it, you get spoken warnings of traffic en route. It updates ETA to allow for the traffic too, which it didn't do in 10.0.

Waze also routes you around traffic.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    554 Global Posts

Here are the options in Maps including avoid traffic
    will there be BlackBerry traffic app for z10?-img_00001845.png

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    36 Global Posts

Day 1 with BB Maps "avoid traffic" in Greater Los Angeles Area.
    Epic fail. 0.3 miles = 20 minutes when BB Maps reported 2 minutes. My friend went down a parallel street at light speed; 7 minutes.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,152 Global Posts
    PIN
    2aed1ace

Quote Originally Posted by MizzCrack View Post
    Day 1 with BB Maps "avoid traffic" in Greater Los Angeles Area.
    Epic fail. 0.3 miles = 20 minutes when BB Maps reported 2 minutes. My friend went down a parallel street at light speed; 7 minutes.
    What OS was this? With 10.0 there were many complaints about the ETA calculations in BB Maps. With 10.1, I had an occasion to test it. I had been using Waze most of the time but decided to try BB Maps, after reading so many complaints about it here. I didn't have the "avoid traffic" option selected. The route I chose involved driving on I-95 for about 8 miles. Before getting on the interstate, BB Maps gave a warning that an accident had been reported, and heavy traffic ahead. I'd never heard it do that before. At that point it updated the ETA.

Sure enough, when I got on the interstate, I crawled along for several miles until I passed the site of the accident. I got to my destination exactly when the updated ETA said I would.

Since then, I've tested ETA several times and found it to be very accurate. I think this functionality was improved in the OS 10.1 version(s) of BB Maps. And yes, I did use BB Traffic extensively on my legacy BBs. I wouldn't mind seeing a "minimalist" mode in BB Maps, similar to BB Traffic.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    554 Global Posts

It's identical more or less. This morning I tested my bb10 Maps against BlackBerry traffic (personal z10 vs work 9780). Maps mapped out the route with least traffic identical to Traffic. The ETA was nearly identical (maps eta was 1min earlier than traffic).

People don't like change. Traffic is not any better or worse than Maps....its just different. I would like to see the "share eta" option added for future release.

Posted via CB10
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast