I don't have actual numbers here but it seems like every other app I try to dl asks for full access to my phone or it won't work. For example, why the **** does solitaire and a 3 point shooting game need permissions like these to run?
    04-08-13 08:36 AM
    I don't have actual numbers here but it seems like every other app I try to dl asks for full access to my phone or it won't work. For example, why the **** does solitaire and a 3 point shooting game need permissions like these to run?
    Mostly because the programmer was too damned ignorant and lazy to work out what was really needed and configure properly. It's the same problem as Windows users running everything as Administrator. However there are probably a few apps where the excessive permissions are demanded to enable datamining and other less desirable reasons
    04-08-13 08:47 AM
    Mostly because the programmer was too damned ignorant and lazy to work out what was really needed and configure properly. It's the same problem as Windows users running everything as Administrator. However there are probably a few apps where the excessive permissions are demanded to enable datamining and other less desirable reasons
    Thanks for the response. That is exactly why I delete apps that ask for these permissions when they are completely unneeded.
    04-08-13 10:04 AM
    It's partially due to the Built For BlackBerry program, which requires apps to integrate with certain system functions even though they might not be relevant to the app.

For instance, a fancy calculator may work just fine, but to meet the B4BB criteria the developer decides to add a currency conversion feature and use your current location to pick the currency. For this, the calculator requires access to your location or perhaps even GPS...

It's an easy way for the developer to satisfy the contrived requirements, but not particularly useful, requires unnecessary permissions and leads to app bloat.
    Last edited by Innovatology; 04-08-13 at 10:45 AM.
    04-08-13 10:34 AM
    Also note that any apps that need to read or save data outside of the app's own sandbox will need file system access.
    So for example, my bible reader app has an import/export function to save and restore user data. Therefore it needs access to the user's files storage directories. The permission request that pops up looks quite worrisome to some users because it talks about accessing their files and pictures, even though my app has no intention or function to do any of that.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-13 12:05 PM
    ... However there are probably a few apps where the excessive permissions are demanded to enable datamining and other less desirable reasons
    There were a few times I had contacted the developers for the list of permissions required to run their apps (before I pay for the apps), but they didn't even bother replying. I think BlackBerry World should add a section for developers to list out all the permissions, just like Google Play.
    04-08-13 11:15 PM