Hi,

Does anyone know how to get around the 16mb limit imposed by whatsapp when attempting to send HD video on BB10? I always record at 720p and anything over 20 secs usually passes this limit. If I record HD video on the iPhone and send via whatsapp, it always compresses it beforehand. Is this a missing feature on whatsapp for BB10 ?

Thanks
    05-07-13 08:27 AM
    I'm not sure exactly what the file size limit is for Whatsapp on iOS, but I have had iPhone users that couldn't send me a large video file because it was too big.

If your files are under 250Mb, you can upload them to Box and share the link to your recipient.

I have also used the browser to upload files to Google Drive (must choose desktop site). Google Drive doesn't have the same file size limitations as Box so you could conceivably upload a large HD video to Google Drive and share the link.

Aside from sending over Bluetooth if the person is right beside you, Google Drive might be your best bet.
    05-07-13 10:02 AM
    Hi,

Thanks for the response. I'm aware of the potential workarounds. However, it seems that compression tech is built into the whatsapp app for iPhone but not for the BB10 platform. I've been able to send HD vids of approx 2 mins long via the iPhone, all in HD.
    05-07-13 10:36 AM
    I guess try contacting Whatsapp <[email protected]> and ask them whatsapp (sorry I couldn't resist) with their file size restrictions and compression on iOS.

So when you say it compresses beforehand, you mean that Whatsapp transcodes the entire video file to a lower quality (higher compression) and the recipient sees a lower quality video than the original on your phone? This seems like it would take quite a bit of time and processing power to achieve and would take a long time to first transcode the entire file, and then transfer it over the mobile network... Something doesn't sound right about that.
    05-07-13 11:32 AM
    09-02-13 08:33 AM
    I had the same problem. I have developed an app called Longviz that allows you to record longer videos (max 2 minutes). There is no compression phase so it directly records with a quality like 480p. You can find it on the BB App World.
    08-25-15 10:37 AM