Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default WhatsApp Alternative for BB10

Given the bad news about WhatsApp not supporting BB10, I'm starting to look at alternatives to start convincing my iOS/Android friends to switch over to ahead of BB10 launch. From this point, I'm going to start cutting down my use of WhatsApp.

At the moment, it seems to me like Hookt would be the best bet. Any other suggestions??
    BlackBerry

Global Posts
    6,837 Global Posts

Sideload whatsapp if you really want it
    BB4Life
    MTL and Waqiuddin like this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

That's the thing, the way I see it, if WhatsApp doesn't want Blackberry, then I don't want WhatsApp.

Rather than working around a developer that refuses to the support the platform I choose to use, I would rather steer my WhatsApp friends toward a BB10-friendly cross-messenger. The question then is which way to steer them?

It shouldn't be hard to convince people I talk to on iOS/Android over WhatsApp now to message me on another service, since whatever becomes the defacto BB10 cross-messenger will certainly already be established on those devices...
    Thanked by:
    OmarVlogable (12-19-2012) 
    r0v3rT3N, kozmo68 and OmarVlogable like this.
    BlackBerry

Global Posts
    6,837 Global Posts

I get that. Its possible whatsapp will be there though. I don't think too many people really know for sure. Wish I had more info for you
    BB4Life
    CrackBerry Abuser

Default Re: WhatsApp Alternative for BB10

I think that's good idea until what's app support us we should look for alternative. I think Line is a good supported app for BlackBerry platform....
  6. tfp
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,811 Global Posts

For the 2 people I talk to on WhatsApp, I'm not going to inconvenience them and have them switch to another IM. I've got no issues sideloading WhatsApp onto my BB10 and using that until they pull their head out of their rear ends lol
    Don't take Life so seriously, you'll never get out alive
    mrmartis likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    695 Global Posts

How does one even sideload it? Is the performance up to snuff?
    BlackBerry

Global Posts
    6,837 Global Posts

Find whatsapp.bar and use an application such as ddpb or bbh-tools on your desktop to install it. As far as how well it runs... No idea. I hear good things though
    BB4Life
    CrackBerry Abuser

I have to words for WhatsApp...... WHO CARES! I certainly don't. Used it for a while and found it to be a battery hog. for my iOS and Android users I'll communicate via email or through facebook messaging, if that doesn't work for then call me... I have a feeling that BBM on BB10 is really going to have deep integration with facebook messaging. If that's the case then no need WhatsApp or anything else..
    Hater of all things APPLE.... Innovation, really? iphone = itouch with a phone, ipad = bigger itouch... give me a break!

Evaluation of awesomeness:7230, 8830 World Edition, 9800, 9860, Z10 and now Z30 plus 2 x 32g Playbooks
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    695 Global Posts

^Thanks. How long does it take? Can I do it on a Mac?
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    28B6FDF2

You have to ask yourself, is it really worth messaging people who don't have BBM?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    695 Global Posts

But isn't that for Playbook OS 2.0? Will the same thing work for BB10?
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,862 Global Posts
    PIN
    excepting applications

yup Android runtime is on BlackBerry10 just like it is on PlayBook.
    I waited...It launched...Im still waiting...
    CrackBerry Abuser

just use groupme of you have massive text-serves with your friends. they can either use the app or regular text message to receive messages. its much better then whatsapp.
    CrackBerry Abuser

I already installed some apps similar to whatsapp to test them ... LINE, ChatON and Viber, I think ChatON is the option, but then I have about 5 people I do chat on whatsapp but also chat on another app, so I already have a the solution, family on BBM and friends on gtalk, so no need of whatsapp at all ... but I hope devs reconcider this, I do not get why they do not want to support BB10 ...
    White Z10 | STL 100-3 Official: 10.2.1.537 aka 10.2.1.1925 | Telcel
    Previous OS Leak:10.2.1.1055 aka 10.2.1.176
    64GB PlayBook BB Lover
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    64 Global Posts

I have a lot of friends on Whatsapp i can't ask them all to switch to another IM.. I am going to use BB10 & my 9900 so I'm going to use Whatsapp anyways from my 9900
    CrackBerry Addict

alternative - Viber if it comes to BB10.
    Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    6,429 Global Posts
    PIN
    7901FC6B

Why not use LiveProfile?? It's multi-platform and it's been bought by RIM so I'm sure by the time BB10 is released they'll have more time to do more development of LiveProfile. As it stands now, it's pretty reliable and you'd get to keep using RIM products.
    Everyone, everyone, stop fighting! Look unto me! I possess the blue flag! I wield the power infinite! The universal fabric is mine to unravel! My every thought becomes reality! Mountains will fall! Seas will boil! Day will be at night! People will...run...chicks'll dig me!
    jakie55 likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Default WhatsApp Alternative for BB10

i'll see how this pans out. i was 50-50 between the L series and a lumia 920 but the lack of whatsapp is putting the lumia way ahead as im a heavy whatsapp user and am in multiple groups with my ios and android friends.

Sideloading is definitely out for me. having seen the performance of android apps on my pb i definitely do not want similiar subpar performance with close to 0 updates on my phone. At this point im not even sure how many of the apps i require will be of android nature. i really like the hub but all the deficiencies are too much to bear.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    WakyEggs likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,804 Global Posts

On my 9810 I started off with whatsapp and it was a hog, so I switched to using IMO instant messenger, it handles everything except iphone, and turns out several iphone friends were already using Hookt, so I have that loaded too, it also works on android.

Both of these are in app world
    Hookt https://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/59560/
    and Hookt | messaging made simple allows browser access

Imo supports AIM, Facebook Chat, Google Talk, Hyves, ICQ, Jabber, MSN, MySpace, Skype, Steam Chat, VKontakte and Yahoo Messenger https://appworld.blackberry.com/webs...55495/?lang=en and also has web access at https://imo.im/
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    695 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sexybabe88 View Post
    i'll see how this pans out. i was 50-50 between the L series and a lumia 920 but the lack of whatsapp is putting the lumia way ahead as im a heavy whatsapp user and am in multiple groups with my ios and android friends.

Sideloading is definitely out for me. having seen the performance of android apps on my pb i definitely do not want similiar subpar performance with close to 0 updates on my phone. At this point im not even sure how many of the apps i require will be of android nature. i really like the hub but all the deficiencies are too much to bear.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    The Nokia has some awesome hardware innovation like 60hz screen and pureview camera. I'm also thinking of getting a Lumia 920 but I'm quite broken between that and BB10. I think I'll wait and see if any colours of the 920 come out and also bb10.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    205 Global Posts

Another alternative would be Kik... if they decide to bring it on BB10...
    No one knows yet...
    CrackBerry Abuser

ebuddyXMS is my fave, unfortunately I only have 5 contacts there,
    it is great, and you can send xms from your computer via ebuddy webxms, a great feature for when you are using your laptop computer and don't wan't to use your smartphone's battery, you should give it a try (if it was to be supported on BB10)
    eBuddy XMS - Do more than SMS
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,035 Global Posts

I'd have to advise against Hookt, message delivery seems extremely delayed, and i'd Recommend TOUCH despite the added battery drain.
    Device(s): Curve 9300>Bold 9700>Z10>Samsung Galaxy Note 2>Z10 #BlackBerryByChoice
    Tablet: BlackBerry Playbook 32GB
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast