Hello,

Due to the fact that running Android apps on BlackBerry 10 can be problematic and BlackBerry World severely lacks native apps for BlackBerry 10, I have decided I will see what writing apps is all about, with the goal of hopefully writing some (GOOD) native apps for BlackBerry 10. I have no programming experience other than writing a few programs on my graphing calculator in high school. I know it will not be easy and will probably take a lot of time because of how much I have to learn. If anyone wants to offer any tips, I am happy to receive them, but that is not the main reason I am posting this post.

My question is: what apps do people want to see most for BlackBerry 10? I already have a list of some possibilities, and these as well as answers I get here will be my goal for a long time down the road. I will obviously start with the most simple possible.

And again, any helpful input from people who are experienced in this area is gladly welcomed.

Thanks.

Edit:

I apologize for not updating you about this sooner, but given the combination of 1) the fact that I will not be permitted to create apps for most (or all) major platforms (which was my biggest motivation for having interest in this project), and 2) the fact that personally, I recently (yes I know I'm behind) found out that BlackBerry is releasing the KeyOne and has released other Android OS smartphones which personally removes the sense of urgency for myself to create native BlackBerry 10 OS apps, and 3) this is a smaller reason, but I did not think through how serious a business-like endeavor this would be; I have decided for now (and possibly forever) that I will not seriously pursue this project of writing BlackBerry 10 OS apps. I apologize for any false hope that I have created.

If I decide to really jump back into this I will let you know, but for the time being, programming apps will not be a serious endeavor for me.
    Last edited by murrin; 04-04-17 at 05:26 PM.
    03-24-17 07:26 PM
    Assuming you mean Cascades apps when you mean native, they're in C and C++ combined with an old, unsupported version of the Qt framework. Since you say you don't have much of a background in programming, I wouldn't start by diving right into Qt, but rather through picking up the fundamentals through something more beginner friendly (Python or Ruby are good) and then extrapolating what you need to to Qt once you're comfortable.

But still, there are two categories of "native apps people want" for BB10. The first, larger, category is mostly off limits to independent developers: major apps from other platforms. If there was ever going to be a native Snapchat it wouldn't be when the platform was on its last legs. Even worse, there were/are native first party apps for Facebook and Whatsapp but they've since left/are in the process of leaving BB10. That doesn't stop people from fantasizing.

The second category is smaller but simpler: executing an idea. It doesn't have the instant draw of, say, a native Snapchat client, but if it's a good idea then it should have a healthy reception; take a look at Work Wide, for example. You say you have a list already so that's a good start.

The BB10 native development resources (as slim as they are) are here: https://developer.blackberry.com/native/
    drobbie likes this.
    03-25-17 01:12 PM
    First of all, thank you for your interest in BB10. As a long-time user, I appreciate it when developers come with new ideas and come up with new ways to make our devices more useful.

That said, we have seen several developers come on here over the years with the same questions and the same desire, but then disappear without a trace. It leaves a lot of people disappointed and frustrated.

What is your plan for developing and supporting your apps long-term? How will you maintain contact with users? It's not like the early days where there lots of potential users; there are few of us, and many are vocal about their needs. The ones who love your apps are going to tell you, and the ones who don't like your apps are definitely going to complain.

Just some thoughts for you.

Posted via CB10
    03-25-17 03:44 PM
    As previously stated, you won't be able to make any apps for the "must haves" but you could come up with independent apps of your own.

Posted via CB10
    03-25-17 03:54 PM
    vr and ar almost a blank canvas. the field is still wide open. it might be a good place to test water... IMHO.
    03-25-17 04:52 PM
    Open source OpenVPN client

Posted via CB10
    03-25-17 05:41 PM
    Chromecast

Posted via CB10
    03-26-17 12:06 AM
    Chromecast

Posted via CB10
    Isn't there already an app for that called Cast??

http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/57227887
    03-26-17 04:24 AM
    I want to lots of native application on blackberry world like..
    1. Paytm
    2. Ebay
    3. Flipkart
    4. Xender

 BLACKBERRY | P A S S P O R T | OG
    03-26-17 06:18 AM
    Thank you, especially to thurask and meilenstein. thurask's post reminded me that, if I indicate to a public group of people that I have interest in this, I need to take it as seriously as a business endeavor, including doing some serious planning and thinking about every element of it and making good decisions (including how to make sure users can contact me when needed).

It is disappointing that I will mostly not be able to write major apps for other platforms. I did think about this shortly after making my post, and it is disappointing because these were the biggest reason I had interest in it in the first place.
    03-27-17 01:50 PM
    First of all, thank you for considering taking this path to learn to code, it can be tiresome and very frustrating. I wish you luck and hope you are successful in your goals especially since you want to write apps for BB10! With that said here are a few apps I would like to see native on BB10 OS

Ebay

Youtube downloader - like the one made by dentex

Pandora

Posted via CB10
    03-29-17 12:39 PM
    WeChat

Posted via CB10
    03-29-17 01:25 PM
    WeChat with more features

LINE if possible. Somehow people in Asia (excluded China) loves using LINE as their primary IM app...

Posted via CB10
    04-01-17 12:57 PM
    If possible PayPal too : )

Posted via CB10
    04-01-17 01:00 PM
    WhatsApp. Keep that going. :-D

Posted via BlackBerry Z30
    04-01-17 01:25 PM
    Seems like you got your work cut out for you
    04-01-17 01:28 PM
    It is disappointing that I will mostly not be able to write major apps for other platforms. I did think about this shortly after making my post, and it is disappointing because these were the biggest reason I had interest in it in the first place.
    Learning programming is great, but it's even better if you can have something to show for it. Unless you're already in the Mac ecosystem then focusing on iOS/macOS is out of reach, but you can still learn about writing for Android, Windows, Linux, or the web.

And the replies before this one prove my point that fantasizing lives on.
    04-01-17 01:33 PM
    Viber, Facebook
    04-01-17 01:45 PM
    So obvious answer :

Whatsapp
    Facebook
    LinkedIn
    PayTM
    Uber
    IRCTC

Should be sufficient

Posted via CB10
    04-01-17 03:45 PM
    Not sure of the ins-and-outs of doing it, but a BlackBerry Pay app similar to Apple, Android, and Samsung Pay apps would be fantastic. Nothing of that sort available in the US.

I have my payment information loaded in my device for app world purchases. Settings > App Manager has a heading for "Card Emulation apps". IDK - seems like all the guts are there, but never followed through on developing card emulation apps.

It's disappointing; BlackBerry led the charge with NFC and mobile payment 5 years ago and they're nowhere to be seen in the marketplace. Google ate their lunch. Apple and Samsung are late to the party, but their market share is so damn big it doesn't matter.

Irony of it all is that that none of the devices out there handling sensitive transactions are as secure as BlackBerry. ... and NFC hasn't taken off in US because consumers are concerned with (wait for it) ... security.

Posted via CB10
    04-01-17 10:10 PM
    Not sure of the ins-and-outs of doing it, but a BlackBerry Pay app similar to Apple, Android, and Samsung Pay apps would be fantastic.
    The "ins-and-outs" require negotiating with banks and credit card processors, and building software that follows strict security guidelines. Good luck setting that up as an experienced independent developer, let alone a novice.
    04-02-17 07:56 AM
    The "ins-and-outs" require negotiating with banks and credit card processors, and building software that follows strict security guidelines. Good luck setting that up as an experienced independent developer, let alone a novice.
    Couldn't it be done though? As long as he meets the requirements? And gets the OK from said institutions/processors?

Posted via CB10
    04-02-17 08:38 AM
    Couldn't it be done though? As long as he meets the requirements? And gets the OK from said institutions/processors?

Posted via CB10
    Sure, and if I had wheels I'd be a wagon.
    04-02-17 04:09 PM

Posted via CB10
    No chance. None. Absolutely not going to happen.

Posted via CB10
    04-02-17 04:29 PM
    Viber and Snapchat

Posted via CB10
    04-02-17 04:49 PM
30 12