This is getting old, Have u seen the reviews and comments on skype? Complaint after complaint. Its VERY simple. Skype is not going to make a native app unless they see a strong demand for it hence why they have a ported version, I see it as a test, if all goes well then a native app should follow BUT why would they make a native version if all everyone does is complain, Really people we waited and waited and waited, now its here and guess what people are not happy, I understand it might have a few issues here and there BUT WE HAVE SKYPE.

Remember when EVERYONE sideloaded the app and it never worked, well it works now and they are still not happy, Go head and bash my post all you want but the fact is that skype is up and running and we should be happy, you guys begged and begged and now the complaint is "its not native" can we ever make u guys happy??? Yes It would be nice to have a native app BUT it would also be nice just to have skype in general OH wait we do. I think a ported version is better then no version so I have no complaints on my side, It does not take much to make me happy, I do not pick at every flaw, If it works it works and If they receive good feedback then they are more likely to show more support, But if they port a version that we have all been waiting for we should say thank you and then down the road say "hey can we have a native version" instead of bashing it before its even released

I know some of you will say we need to show support for BB10 but to me the real fact is that Android is killing everyone and having a different OS that runs someones elses apps is amazing and when I tell people they are amazed, in a way its a selling point. I have no worries that BB10 will be a major success, it takes time and Android is giving BlackBerry A HUGE BOOST.

be happy, because no matter if its ported or not, we have it and thats what everyone wanted.
    05-13-13 01:19 AM
    Agree X 10000000.

Posted via CB10
    Jonathank likes this.
    05-13-13 01:29 AM
    Once skype see 3+ Million downloads they have a reason to bring out a native version...

Ohh we want it free ohh we want it native... Ohh we will never be happy.

Hate me but a good port is better than nothing for the beginning...
    bbmtna, KemKev and Jonathank like this.
    05-13-13 01:38 AM
    A good port is definitely better than nothing.
    I've not tried Skype on the Z10 yet, going with official updates only.
    I tried the Ebay app, an Android port, officially released.
    It was awful, not because it was a port. But being a port led to massive battery drain as Android apps don't seem to run that efficiently on BB10. The massive battery drain led to me uninstalling Ebay as my battery life was halved, even when the app was closed and not active framed.
    In those circumstances I see no harm in complaining.

Coming at your issue from another approach, if Skype sees thousands of only good reviews for their Android port, despite it running poorly or riddled with bugs, what incentive is there for them to release a native version?
    If there are loads of poor reviews due to an unstable app, at least they might consider doing a native app, seeing that there's lots of demand but the app isn't up to snuff.
    imz, Spawn12, Mecca EL and 1 others like this.
    05-13-13 01:49 AM
    "Coming at your issue from another approach, if Skype sees thousands of only good reviews for their Android port, despite it running poorly or riddled with bugs, what incentive is there for them to release a native version?
    If there are loads of poor reviews due to an unstable app, at least they might consider doing a native app, seeing that there's lots of demand but the app isn't up to snuff."

If the Skype Port is running bad on a offical 10.1 OS you have to Rate it Bad !
    Never say something else..
    bobauckland likes this.
    05-13-13 02:41 AM
    Well, I've found that Skype is working about as well as it was on my Galaxy Nexus: really slow, and a lot of freezing... So I guess it's a fairly accurate port.

Posted via CB10
    ssbtech, Spawn12 and mediadavid like this.
    05-13-13 04:15 AM
    It is so sad that we have to settle for crap Droid ports. Guess I wont be using it as I will not let a Droid port near my phone right now.

Tim
    Spawn12 likes this.
    05-13-13 04:43 AM
    I am fine with ported apps in general, IF the developer did at least put some effort in making the release.
    Having the Skype port, I think BlackBerry kinda 'has' to put some effort in hub/notification management for ported apps...
    so we might see good progress there in the near future.
    IMHO it would actually be possible to let the ports look like native apps.
    They should've redone at least the default 'styles' and 'themes' from the android runtime and let them look like standard cascades ui.
    Apps like Songza (if I remember correctly) already did at least put newer (Jelly Bean kinda) styles in their app port to make them look less ugly.

So yeah - native apps are always welcome AND should be the major part in BBWorld!
    But dont't get me wrong, closing the app gap with quality android apps is not as bad as it seems to be for so many ppl.
    05-13-13 05:08 AM
    I'm conflicted. On one side it's easy to agree having access to the service is better than nothing. On the other hand settling for that may also guarantee that's all you'll ever get. If the situation doesn't turn from mostly ported apps to at least a beginning of these big name developers starting to make ported apps within a year, then that will be the legacy of bb10. It's very easy to predict BlackBerry pigeonholing themselves as "the best OS that ran poor Android apps". That would be a shame. Native apps are extremely good and make for a fluid experience. Loading up a ported app is obvious from the first time you open it. Updating the Android runtime to jelly bean will allow for newer ported apps, but it will likely come at the cost of even worse performance than we're experiencing now due to it having limited access to system resources.
    05-13-13 05:37 AM
    This entire business of having the ability to run apps written for another platform is an experiment. The closest thing I can think of is the ability to run a Windows emulator on a Mac, but even that's not really the same. The better Android ports seem to be tweaked a bit for BB10, or maybe some are just more compatible to begin with.

Anyway, I don't think anyone can predict how the experiment will turn out. My opinion, for what it's worth, is that the Android port experiment is an ingenious solution to a problem that has no other solution: How to build an app ecosystem fast on a platform that has very few users, relative to other platforms. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that without Android ports, BB World for BB10 would be as bad as the PlayBook app situation at launch, and that would simply kill BB10's chances.

But whether this experimental solution to the app ecosystem problem will hold up over time is unknown. I have my doubts. Companies tend not to spend money if they don't have to. If the apps don't perform well, and it takes more resources to support them, that may be incentive enough to upgrade a port to native. But it could also be incentive to kill the app and say to he11 with it.
    bunky1971 likes this.
    05-13-13 09:13 AM
    Thanks for this totally agree with you, we should be glad a least the responded and gave us a app.
    05-13-13 09:18 AM
    I feel putting a android ported app out instaed of a native OS10 version is just a cheap out for companies who in reality don't want to support the Blackberry platform anymore and are not going to invest the time and resources to develop a native app for BB OS10.

This is sad and I think your are going to see this continue until the number of Blackberry OS10 users increase. Face it, Apple and Android are the hot platforms at the moment and this is where the developers resources are being utilized.

Developers are not doing this as a favor for all you folks out there, they do this for revenue, period. The revenue at the moment is in the big two's platform, sad but very true and I don't see it changing any time soon.
    ssbtech likes this.
    05-13-13 09:39 AM
    People will always find something to complain about if they want to. I have no major gripes with the Skype app it runs fairly smooth. Could it use a few tweaks, sure.

CB10- BlackBerry Z10
    05-13-13 09:50 AM
    I feel putting a android ported app out instaed of a native OS10 version is just a cheap out for companies who in reality don't want to support the Blackberry platform anymore and are not going to invest the time and resources to develop a native app for BB OS10.

This is sad and I think your are going to see this continue until the number of Blackberry OS10 users increase. Face it, Apple and Android are the hot platforms at the moment and this is where the developers resources are being utilized.

Developers are not doing this as a favor for all you folks out there, they do this for revenue, period. The revenue at the moment is in the big two's platform, sad but very true and I don't see it changing any time soon.
    Do you think Microsoft developers actually make decisions? Nope, they give time estimates (which translates into money), and then some suit chooses the option for them. Who at Microsoft do you think even understands what a cascade is yet? Would you rather wait until October for Skype?

Z10 via T-Mobile (10.1.0.1762)
    05-13-13 09:50 AM
    I sideloaded it, tested it, it worked, and I'm happy. It does what it is supposed to do.
    Jonathank likes this.
    05-13-13 10:21 AM
    You just can't make people happy, you give them a yard then they want the whole field, then the stadium. It never end, there is no pleasing people anymore, regardless of the tremendous ammount of effort BlackBerry has been putting in to make sure these essential apps are here, in some form or another. Smh. Ungreatful is what people are.
    Jonathank likes this.
    05-13-13 11:40 AM
    All valid points. But the fact remains...a lot of people we screaming for Skype and now it is here and the complaining continues. You have the steak...don't complain now that it is a thin cut porterhouse instead of a thick cut.

Posted via CB10
    05-13-13 11:48 AM
    Initial I installed Skype yesterday, got it set up with my account from my M$win, looked at it... Well what can I say... deleted the app again in the morning!

Question why?

Because Skype for OS10 is not a native nor built for BlackBerry... calling for trouble!
    Non of my other apps are android... don't want to compromis ... I did rather walk.

Posted via Z10
    05-13-13 11:52 AM
    I downloaded it, and after a couple hours, I deleted it. I just have no use for Skype at all, no one I know uses it, but it's still a great app to say "we have."

So I showed my support by downloading (I don't think they can tell who deleted it haha)
    05-13-13 12:58 PM
    Initial I installed Skype yesterday, got it set up with my account from my M$win, looked at it... Well what can I say... deleted the app again in the morning!

Question why?

Because Skype for OS10 is not a native nor built for BlackBerry... calling for trouble!
    Non of my other apps are android... don't want to compromis ... I did rather walk.
    And this is fine; you have to do what is right for you. It should be understood though that a native Skype app probably will not be here anytime soon, if ever.
    05-13-13 01:35 PM
    I admittedly know nothing about any issues with Skype, as I've yet to make up my mind on what I wish to upgrade to. However, in response to OP's comments, I would suggest that in a world where Blackberry is on the defensive, and is trying to make up for lost ground, suggesting that it's appropriate to settle for something that's "good enough" really doesn't cut it. There's another thread currently where the merits of BBM are being discussed. The question there is whether BBM should be opened up, as there is a perceived need to be able to video chat with others on different platforms. If Skype isn't working well (and again, I have no idea what issues there might be), and users are expected to "make due" with the ported app, aren't many simply going to look at this as a reason to go to a platform where Skype works well? Where users don't have to "settle"?

And as users make that decision (and admittedly, video chat isn't important to everyone), won't a suitable cross-platform app become even more important, as more and more people look to chat with "the converted".

That's how snowballs are made...
    bobfranklin likes this.
    05-13-13 01:47 PM
    All valid points. But the fact remains...a lot of people we screaming for Skype and now it is here and the complaining continues. You have the steak...don't complain now that it is a thin cut porterhouse instead of a thick cut.

Posted via CB10
    I think you do get to complain, if you can get the thick cut next door for the same price.

I think that in this competitive market (the smartphone market, I mean), it's dangerous to say, "we've given you enough...be happy with what you've got". There are too many other options which will try and go the extra mile.

And I realize that the "shut up and be happy" comments are coming from CB users, and not Blackberry; Blackberry wouldn't be that stupid.
    05-13-13 01:55 PM
    I am so happy that android devs (not all) are supporting the BB-Platform, they are taking the time to port over their hard-work and provide us BB-users with access to business apps, games, fun, books, etc...
    I always show my support for all devs within BBWorld (I do not write bad reviews). I would rather remove the app if it doesn't work for me. I am very happy to see Skype within BBW but I really do not use it, but because of the support for the dev I downloaded it (Now here is where I have an issue), it wants access to everything on my phone... I never like granting access to my device at all. I download the flashlight app, now I understand that it needs access to my camera in order for it to work, I couldn't do it. So, I uninstall the app and now just use the native video light. Bottom line, I love the support from the devs but I am not giving you access to my device I am sorry... My $0.02
    05-13-13 03:14 PM
    I'm split on this too. On the one hand, you do want to encourage development; on the other hand, I am a BIG advocate for authentic peer review. All this talk about BB developers deleting reviews bothers me, for example.
    05-13-13 03:36 PM
    I had it working but since the upgrade to Z10STL100-3/10.1.0.1627 it no longer allows me to log in. Anyone else have the problem and better yet, any solutions?

Posted via CB10
    05-13-13 03:38 PM
45 12