Disclaimer: this discussion is only for those who can stand critics towards BlackBerry and CrackBerry. If you are not one of them, HIT THE BACK BUTTON NOW, NOW, NOW!!!

Good, now those who continued to read, here is the topic for this discussion "Standards for apps and in less extend for games". I'm relatively new BlackBerry user but nonetheless it doesn't mean that I have to accept silently the way BlackBerry and CrackBerry moving forward regarding apps. The last drop was latest review by James of Photo Studio where he claims that "now there is a native BlackBerry 10 [of Photo Studio] version which is awesome" and "...I don't think there is anything you can't do with Photo Studio...". To me, the latest update can be rated at most as OK but more towards disappointing and there are definitely tons of things you CANNOT do in latest version of Photo Studio - even basic operation resize was removed! Of course developers claim that they are working on bringing more features to the app, let's hope it's not going to be as "smashing" as latest Viki update, where developers removed all critical reviews from BlackBerry World and their friend called several members of the corresponding thread as trolls (more precise expression was, reviews are not genuine).

Why on Earth BlackBerry users behave like ugly girl who seek for men' attention and happy if any man pays attention even if he is a jerk or definite *****? Why do BlackBerry users have so low bar for apps quality? How does BlackBerry expect to attract iOS or Android users with these type of apps? I understand that BlackBerry World needs quantity, but what about quality of apps? And it's not just BlackBerry is responsible for this mess (they still keep featuring 1 star Android ports) but also CrackBerry. Reading reviews on main blog I started to wonder if BlackBerry Z10 and Q10 are just gaming devices that are able to run old Android apps. It seems that only DJ Reyes really browse the BlackBerry World and do reviews of useful and quality apps, James basically lost in games and questionable quality apps.

I'm not trying to create an inflammatory thread where BlackBerry/CrackBerry fanboys will fight with BlackBerry/CrackBerry fans. I do invite CrackBerry reviewers to join this discussion so that we/they can improve the selection of apps they review and we start seeing more quality apps instead of flood of useless Android ports that in many cases even don't work. You may wonder why do I try to involve CrackBerry reviewers to this? Well, it's not a secret that CrackBerry is a biggest BlackBerry fan site and exposing app on CrackBerry may give it a big push which later can be seen in BlackBerry World. I also invite developers to do something to advertise their apps, especially if those apps are native and deliver true BlackBerry 10 experience!

Please leave your thoughts bellow and try to keep discussion constructive and polite. Thanks
    Ruslan Botsyurko and keypad like this.
    07-27-13 01:41 PM
    Troll

Hahahahahaha! I kid I kid. That's probably what some people would say anyway. I guess I can understand what you're saying. Saw your comments in the photo studio blog post. Maybe sometimes we tend to exaggerate certain things about apps because we still have that mentality " oh they actually made the app for us, we have to be ok with it, especially if it's native". Yeah so maybe we can be like that ugly girl. But the thought of seeing an android port turn native is something exciting because I believe a lot of BlackBerry 10 users want that to happen eventually. So can't really blame them too. But agreed app quality is key. Just saying that I can understand when people get excited over an android port turning native that certain deficiencies are overlooked

Posted via CB10
    bb10_fan and illlya like this.
    07-27-13 01:58 PM
    As a new user to the community, I felt the same way when I saw the AccuWeather app (not the one included in bb10, the one you download), which was practically the same thing functionality wise... with an ad on top, with a title as "Why I'm now using AccuWeather for BlackBerry 10 and why you should too".
    bb10_fan likes this.
    07-27-13 02:02 PM
    Native apps can be updated and work seamlessly on new features on an updated OS. (Share feature as an example)

Ports can't utilize the full potential of the OS.

Now. Would you have an almost complete port rather than a native app that can evolve along side the updates coming from the OS it self?

Well for me, I would want a half baked app that can be improve later rather than a port that's pretty much about it, no big updates can be done.

Posted via CB10
    bb10_fan and CMcRob like this.
    07-27-13 02:23 PM
    Troll
    ha ha ha, I was about to be upset that no one called me troll, thanks

Hahahahahaha! I kid I kid. That's probably what some people would say anyway. I guess I can understand what you're saying. Saw your comments in the photo studio blog post. Maybe sometimes we tend to exaggerate certain things about apps because we still have that mentality " oh they actually made the app for us, we have to be ok with it, especially if it's native". Yeah so maybe we can be like that ugly girl. But the thought of seeing an android port turn native is something exciting because I believe a lot of BlackBerry 10 users want that to happen eventually. So can't really blame them too. But agreed app quality is key. Just saying that I can understand when people get excited over an android port turning native that certain deficiencies are overlooked
    Posted via CB10
    I agree it's exciting to see how previously Android port become native, but... In case of Photo Studio it simply added nothing, just removed few vital features like resize. And yet, CrackBerry praising developer for that! This is not healthy. I think there should be some sort of critics or at least they could skip praises until all previously available features released. This closed mind thinking "Hey I know that developer, he is Team BlackBerry (whatever that means) and whatever he releases is great and best all BlackBerry users can have" is dangerous, we may loose good developers who came to this platform from others (like WebOS, MeeGo, etc) and their apps got lost in BlackBerry World thanks to not-very-clever management from BlackBerry Team and CrackBerry reviewers are just helping in this
    Jordan Gibson1 likes this.
    07-27-13 03:42 PM
    As a new user to the community, I felt the same way when I saw the AccuWeather app (not the one included in bb10, the one you download), which was practically the same thing functionality wise... with an ad on top, with a title as "Why I'm now using AccuWeather for BlackBerry 10 and why you should too".
    Yes, that one was also bold
    07-27-13 03:42 PM
    Native apps can be updated and work seamlessly on new features on an updated OS. (Share feature as an example)

Ports can't utilize the full potential of the OS.

Now. Would you have an almost complete port rather than a native app that can evolve along side the updates coming from the OS it self?

Well for me, I would want a half baked app that can be improve later rather than a port that's pretty much about it, no big updates can be done.

Posted via CB10
    I always told that native apps are better (see my posting history) but when native app doesn't add anything it's not worth of existence As an example, Photo Studio is still not integrated into Share menu of BB10. Of course not everything is too bad, now you can share from the Photo Studio to all social networks you have on your device. But just to have this convenience I lost several important features at least until next update or maybe updates! They should have keep developing until an equally featured app is available and then release it, not cut features to those who already paid for app.

Anyway, this is not discussion about Photo Studio only, but a more general one about quality of apps we have in BlackBerry World. I used Photo Studio simply as an example to show the closed mind thinking of CrackBerry reviews. I know that this was the best photo editor on legacy devices, but it doesn't mean it's still the best on BlackBerry 10 platform (actually after last update it's the worst)
    07-27-13 03:50 PM
    I can't speak for everyone, but I understand that OS10 is relatively new. That being said, it may NOT be an excuse in today's competitive market. I'm also not happy with the quality of some of the apps (although some are really great) - I am spoiled using my iPad and to have such a variety of excellent apps. But, I like the BB OS10 and the new Z10 so much for all their other good qualities, I'm prepared to "live with" mediocre apps for now. I know apps will evolve in quality and quantity over time.
    CMcRob and damien kupuku like this.
    07-27-13 04:16 PM
    Totally agree. Crackberry lost their reputation with me when they reviewed candy crusher, a sorry rip off the real candy crush game.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-13 06:28 PM
    Yeah I agree with you, I never trust CrackBerry's apps reviews, all apps seems to be amazing for them, personally I don't mind since I have no problem paying a couple of dollars to test the app myself, but IMO i don't feel this is representative of the whole site, Kevin and the guys (specially bla1ze and umi) are more critical of BlackBerry than ever, if something is wrong with the company they say it, they root for BlackBerry but they also acknowledge the problems.

Posted via CB10
    07-28-13 12:11 AM
    Am new. And don't want to offend anybody. But CracKBerry's app reviews seem kind of useless.

I got the Amazon Kindle app, which is one of their recommended apps, although it has a serious flaw of dumping junk images into your gallery, which cannot be removed short of a Security Wipe.

There are a lot of excellent apps that are not covered, and the once I find in reviews do not seem to be the best of the class.

Maybe it is just me.

Posted from my Zed 10
    07-28-13 12:45 AM
    I can't speak for everyone, but I understand that OS10 is relatively new. That being said, it may NOT be an excuse in today's competitive market. I'm also not happy with the quality of some of the apps (although some are really great) - I am spoiled using my iPad and to have such a variety of excellent apps. But, I like the BB OS10 and the new Z10 so much for all their other good qualities, I'm prepared to "live with" mediocre apps for now. I know apps will evolve in quality and quantity over time.
    I like BlackBerry 10 platform as well, that's why I invested in it (z10 + q10 + 250 euro of apps). Problem is not having only mediocre apps, there are lots of good apps with great potential. Problem is having BlackBerry and CrackBerry to force us believe that we have only mediocre apps and we should be happy if any of those mediocre apps become native even at the price of removed features.

Posted via CB10
    07-28-13 11:32 AM
    Considering that there is no policy or ability to test an app for 5 mins and then refund it, I do appreciate James' reviews with a video clip. Disclaimer: I'm not a big app person and way less of a mobile gamer.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    07-28-13 06:51 PM
    Considering that there is no policy or ability to test an app for 5 mins and then refund it, I do appreciate James' reviews with a video clip. Disclaimer: I'm not a big app person and way less of a mobile gamer.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    Many apps have lite/demo/free versions. Like photo studio, you can just download free version and then buy extra stuff

Posted via CB10
    07-28-13 11:34 PM
    Wise words there, bb10_fan!

I'm a BlackBerry fan and a long-time CrackBerry reader, but i also hate how BB as a company keeps pretending it's all OK instead of just honestly saying "OK, we f.cked up, we are sorry for disappointing you and we are working really hard to re-gain your trust, just hold on". On the other hand whenever BB fails CrackBerry goes all "Yeah, they've failed again, but look on the bright side...".

And I'm sick and tired of protecting BlackBerry for years. Yeah, support is crucial, but sometimes a bull behind your back is a lot bigger motivation to run than an applause or some artificial excuses. Nuff said.

Posted via CB10
    bb10_fan likes this.
    07-29-13 07:44 PM
    I think at this point BB can't really force developers to do anything - they don't have that much leverage. Developers do as much (or little) as they want.

Photo Studio - that was probably a difficult decision for them because if they released it early with features missing people would complain, but I'm guessing the reason they did it anyway is because people complained that it wasn't native.

Just a thought.
    07-29-13 08:48 PM
    I think at this point BB can't really force developers to do anything - they don't have that much leverage. Developers do as much (or little) as they want.
    I don't think they need or have to force developers, just support them! There were so many promises (CrackBerry included) that we'll have constant exposure to Build for BlackBerry apps, where are they? Apps exists but they completely lost in pile of "super apps". Problem with BlackBerry is that they keep using pretty idiotic scheme, show known names even if their apps is bellow average. OS is new, let market to decide which developer(s) win, give equal possibilities to all, stop featuring the same (sometimes 1 start) apps for months.

Photo Studio - that was probably a difficult decision for them because if they released it early with features missing people would complain, but I'm guessing the reason they did it anyway is because people complained that it wasn't native. Just a thought.
    Honestly I don't care that Photo Studio went native, I payed for app with certain list of features and after update I've got 30% less of those features. This is not good. And becoming "native"is not an excuse. UI still the same non-intuitive, don't follow UI guidelines, etc. I think some developers misunderstand complains about Android ports.
    08-13-13 07:38 AM