I have no connection to the inside but I believe these developers are waiting for the US launch of these devices to release these popular applications. Blackberry already stated at their original launch(es) that they have many of these developers on-board.

Look at it as "sacrifice some for the greater good" - i.e. the other markets will suffer for now until it is launched/released in the US. They want to launch these with a greater bang at the US launches and it makes sense from a marketing and developer stand point (more time to fine tune the apps for the biggest launch market). BB 10 has to take off in the US and these apps will propel it to be successful.

What's everyone's thoughts?
    Mecca EL likes this.
    02-22-13 10:59 AM
    Just like we don't yet have BlackBerry Travel or BlackBerry Traffic, I think it just takes time to release a polished app, whether it's a port or native. Look how long it took Android to get Instagram!
    02-22-13 11:03 AM
    It is confirmed that Instagram, and Skype are going to be released for BB10, when BB10 is released in the U.S.
    Last edited by r0v3rT3N; 02-22-13 at 01:29 PM.
    02-22-13 12:53 PM
    It is confirmed that Instagram, WhatsApp, and Skype are going to be released for BB10, when BB10 is released in the U.S.
    Link to the confirmation please.
    02-22-13 01:25 PM
    Link to the confirmation please.
    Theory on Missing Applications (Instagram, Whatsapp, etc.)-1.jpg
    I can't find the tweet from @asaunders about the time they are hoping to release skype.
    I accidentally put WhatsApp, they will have a fully native app though. (I will edit my post, sorry!)

*EDIT*: Found the Skype tweet.
    Theory on Missing Applications (Instagram, Whatsapp, etc.)-2.jpg
    Mecca EL likes this.
    02-22-13 01:29 PM
    ...it makes sense from a marketing and developer stand point ...

What's everyone's thoughts?
    I disagree. To me it makes no sense at all. Had they been available from the original launch it would have created much more buzz in the American market. It would have also made their wait less painful knowing that all the popular apps were there resulting in fewer defections to the competition. Instead what they're hearing is all the complaints about these missing apps and how most of them are Android ports.

No, I think you're being way too optimistic. I hope I'm wrong but I don't think they'll be ready even for the US launch. The impression I got was that a lot of the major apps would be there at the original launch (like BlackBerry Travel, Poynt, etc). Now I realize it was just a play on words. Apparently they were only "commited".

Posted via CB10
    02-22-13 01:52 PM
    Thanks. I remember seeing Alec's tweet now.

No clue who that other guy is though.
    02-22-13 02:00 PM
    Just a guy who attended BlackBerry Experience Forum 2013, CBK also retweeted it as well.
    02-22-13 02:02 PM
    It adds weight to the US launch to be able to announce new apps alongside the phone. It adds excitement; the phone has apparently done well in the markets where it has launched so far, so having big new apps available not only helps build more excitement for US sales, it rebuilds interest in the international markets where the phone has already launched.

We know Skype will be there in time for the US launch; we've had confirmation of it. Kindle is "committed", though granted not with a time frame and they "committed" to the PlayBook when it launched, too, so there's some skepticism there.

One other factor: we've been told that the Android Player will support all the way up to Jelly Bean, and it's not impossible that with Android apps being supplied (DEFINITELY for Skype, looking probable for Instagram) that these are being held up until that upgrade actually takes place. That's a bit of a longshot, as I'm told that the Jelly Bean support may not be here for a bit.
    SuperionMaximus likes this.
    02-22-13 02:08 PM
    Well, lookie here.
    WhatsApp is coming around US release.
    Theory on Missing Applications (Instagram, Whatsapp, etc.)-1.jpg
    This guy can be trusted, because he works for WhatsApp.
    Theory on Missing Applications (Instagram, Whatsapp, etc.)-2.jpg
    Mecca EL likes this.
    02-23-13 11:05 AM
    Just a guy who attended BlackBerry Experience Forum 2013, CBK also retweeted it as well.
    Yup, sith said the same thing in his thread too. Some good news.
    02-23-13 12:03 PM
    I disagree. To me it makes no sense at all. Had they been available from the original launch it would have created much more buzz in the American market. It would have also made their wait less painful knowing that all the popular apps were there resulting in fewer defections to the competition. Instead what they're hearing is all the complaints about these missing apps and how most of them are Android ports.

No, I think you're being way too optimistic. I hope I'm wrong but I don't think they'll be ready even for the US launch. The impression I got was that a lot of the major apps would be there at the original launch (like BlackBerry Travel, Poynt, etc). Now I realize it was just a play on words. Apparently they were only "commited".

Posted via CB10
    I'm in total agreement. Both Skype and Instagram will be Android ports, looks like BlackBerry weren't honest at the launch.

Posted via CB10
    02-23-13 12:15 PM
    already have many good substitutes for them doesn't sound like some are coming. A substitute may not be what many want depending on if the substitute interacts with the real thing or not.
    02-23-13 12:19 PM
    I'm in total agreement. Both Skype and Instagram will be Android ports, looks like BlackBerry weren't honest at the launch.

Posted via CB10
    It seems as if you don't understand, BlackBerry didn't promise native apps.
    EVER.
    Also, Android apps actually work well when the developer puts a little time into them.
    02-23-13 02:04 PM
    EVER.
    Also, Android apps actually work well when the developer puts a little time into them.
    I tend to agree. As long as the functionality is there, it's better than nothing.
    02-23-13 02:25 PM
    EVER.
    They didn't say they wouldn't be native apps either.
    I didn't pay for an emulator, if I wanted that I could have gotten a BB7 emulator for my Android smartphone.
    I want native apps that make full use of the RTOS, I don't care how well Android apps run. They're a poor substitute.

Posted via CB10
    02-23-13 07:36 PM
    I didn't pay for an emulator, if I wanted that I could have gotten a BB7 emulator for my Android smartphone.
    I want native apps that make full use of the RTOS, I don't care how well Android apps run. They're a poor substitute.

Posted via CB10
    You really didn't think this would be an option?
    MS is also running for 3rd place in the mobile market, they will do whatever it takes to makes their chances higher.
    02-23-13 11:19 PM
    You really didn't think this would be an option?
    MS is also running for 3rd place in the mobile market, they will do whatever it takes to makes their chances higher.
    I knew it would be...
    Android ports don't show off the best of BB10.
    Guess I'll take it on the chin and only use native apps.

Posted via CB10
    02-23-13 11:27 PM
    It is confirmed that Instagram, and Skype are going to be released for BB10, when BB10 is released in the U.S.
    I think you are actually misreading those comments when they could more easily be taken to me that the apps will be there in time for that release and not being held back or waiting on that launch.
    02-24-13 05:14 AM
    Guess I'll take it on the chin and only use native apps.
    Everyone has to decide what works best for them, personally for me if there are two apps that do similar things then I am going to choose the one that works better on bb10, but I am not going to write off an app I want to use just because it is an android port and will judge those apps on their merits just like any other.

The main thing for me is that I do not want crap or buggy apps on my device and indeed I deleted one I had paid for that was a native app because of a bug that I found unacceptable.
    02-24-13 05:20 AM
    Any publicity is good publicity its gets the BlackBerry 10 name in the press. If they then do a US launch and go look all the bad press is wrong there here lol it will create a bigger press surge lol

If they don't then it's a bad mistake lol

Posted via CB10
    02-24-13 05:28 AM
    It adds weight to the US launch to be able to announce new apps alongside the phone. It adds excitement; the phone has apparently done well in the markets where it has launched so far, so having big new apps available not only helps build more excitement for US sales, it rebuilds interest in the international markets where the phone has already launched. . .
    I don't know. . .reviewers have already been pretty vocal about apps not being currently available. . .and if the Playbook is any indicator, once the apps are available these reviewers will just get quiet instead of being just as vocal about the availability of new apps. . .Blackberry as well as the US carriers will have to be real good about letting US consumers know these apps are there. . .the fact is Instagram, Skype, Netflix, Whatsapp plus many others will HAVE to be there at launch of the first carrier in the US in order for folks to even take a look at the phone. . .once a gap is seen even if the apps come very soon after US launch it will already be a MUCH harder app story to tell. . .(we Americans want things quick, big and flashy. . .unfortunately. . .)
    02-24-13 06:58 AM
    I think you are actually misreading those comments when they could more easily be taken to me that the apps will be there in time for that release and not being held back or waiting on that launch.
    Or the US launch and the carriers are holding up waiting for the apps. Carriers are well aware that apps are needed on a phone. They don't want to sell a phone just to have it returned in the return period because of certain key apps missing when they know they will be out in a short time later. I would bet that the carriers told BlackBerry we can't launch without these apps and BlackBerry had no choice but to scramble to get those devs to do whatever it took for those apps. This pushed the launch back to March IMHO.
    02-24-13 10:16 AM

Posted via CB10
    Sooo, you're against Android ports... Just on principle? Isn't that kind of cutting off your nose to spite your face?

The Android player is a great idea. A developer with an Android app can get into the BlackBerry app portfolio with low risk.
    02-24-13 10:54 AM