Don't you guys think there are way too many cheap quality and pointless apps in the BlackBerry world? I know we want more apps but cheap and dumb apps are not helping us. BlackBerry world needs to be cleaned up in my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    vpblaze likes this.
    02-22-13 08:58 PM
    there are cheap and pointless apps for every platform
    02-22-13 09:02 PM
    It's the same way for all platforms. Some of us BB users derisively call them "fart apps" when talking about other platforms.
    02-22-13 09:02 PM
    Exactly! How many apps do we (you) really need? Usually I just end up deleting the majority of them; they look good but I don't need them in the end........

R...

there are cheap and pointless apps for every platform
    02-22-13 09:53 PM
    There are pointless apps on all platforms and those don't bother me.
    Apps with no screen shots and very little description are what bug me more. Why would anyone want to buy an app with no information about it?

Posted via CB10
    02-23-13 09:46 AM
    You are right and this is why it is such bullcrap when people/analyst talk about numbers of apps. Most are crap. What BB needs is to make sure that the quality ones are there.
    02-23-13 09:55 AM
    Apps are a fad and fads tend to fade away. Most apps will eventually be replaced by web apps.

Posted via CB10
    02-23-13 11:12 AM
    Don't you guys think there are way too many cheap quality and pointless apps in the BlackBerry world? I know we want more apps but cheap and dumb apps are not helping us. BlackBerry world needs to be cleaned up in my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    Yes... BBRY shouldn't say "but every platform has crap." It should work to ensure its app clearinghouse is the cleanest and most functional.
    02-23-13 11:23 AM
    They need the useless ones to pad the numbers just like the others cause what we all hear is how many apps a system has not that most of them are useless crap. It helps when you do have the good the ones though.
    bungaboy, alan510 and raino like this.
    02-23-13 11:30 AM
    They need the useless ones to pad the numbers just like the others cause what we all hear is how many apps a system has not that most of them are useless crap. It helps when you do have the good the ones though.
    Agreed. The numbers game has always been a red herring, IMHO. It's a good sound bite, but means nothing.

I might be crazy, but I truly believe that 20-30 native ports of specific apps will silence a lot of grumbling.
    kbz1960 and bungaboy like this.
    02-23-13 11:35 AM
    A buddy of mine and I were having a beer and decided to check out the number of fart apps available for his iPhone amd my Z10. He had more than 950 fart apps and the Z10 had 33. Now that is not counting the "music" category. We tried shopping list. He had more than 1500 and the Z10 had 63. Multiply the Z10 by ten times and you still don't get close to the iPhone numbers. We were both surprised. But as we were leaving we both concluded that neither one of us needed fart apps anyway - the beer was working just fine.
    416to604, bungaboy and kbz1960 like this.
    02-23-13 11:41 AM
    Agreed. The numbers game has always been a red herring, IMHO. It's a good sound bite, but means nothing.

I might be crazy, but I truly believe that 20-30 native ports of specific apps will silence a lot of grumbling.
    Agree
    02-23-13 11:45 AM
    Oh now I understand, thanks for explaining peeps.

Posted via CB10
    02-23-13 12:19 PM
    I'd sooner have 1000 top, native apps than 70,000 c**p ones. How many of the Android ports weren't done by the original developers?
    I'm sick of people saying 'they're coming' - BlackBerry 10 is one of the easiest platforms to code a native app for.
    I love my Z10 and am lucky that it has Box, Untappd and Foursquare - they're all native. Had those apps not been there then I wouldn't have invested in the new OS. Remember, regardless of how good an operating system is, it needs good software.

I've had several talks with my friend who works at BlackBerry UK, she has confirmed that all the functionality of OS7 is coming back with BB10.1 and up.
    The Z10 was designed to get people who'd never used a BlackBerry using BB10. The Q10 is for the 'power users' who know and love BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    SMCNI1968 and Korepab like this.
    02-23-13 12:28 PM
    Agree
    Agreed.

Posted via CB10
    02-23-13 12:28 PM
    Gosh, they even removed Build for BlackBerry section. WTH? Now I have to scroll all native/android/app generator apps just to see what's new and what's interesting. Bring BfB section back or move app generator apps to separate category!!!
    02-23-13 01:25 PM
    Gosh, they even removed Build for BlackBerry section. WTH? Now I have to scroll all native/android/app generator apps just to see what's new and what's interesting. Bring BfB section back or move app generator apps to separate category!!!
    I haven't used BBW since the update, was disappointed that BfB section has gone.
    BlackBerry needs to look at both Google Play and Apple's App Store to see how to run an app store.
    Pretty sure they don't have anyone curating the content.

Posted via CB10
    02-23-13 01:37 PM

Posted via CB10
    agreed,,, i'll get on there looking for something new, fun or useful & i usually go crosseyed before i get to anything worth downloading,,, i think they should make the pages more "eye friendly"...
    Pete The Penguin likes this.
    02-23-13 01:55 PM
    What I don't get is why the developers would even bother going through the effort of putting crap on BlackBerry if it is just garbage. Don't say portathon because that type of app is specifically excluded.

Posted via CB10
    02-23-13 02:23 PM
    Apps are a fad and fads tend to fade away. Most apps will eventually be replaced by web apps.

Posted via CB10
    Firefox are going to have HTML5 apps on their new platform, perhaps native apps are dying out.

Posted via CB10
    02-23-13 06:43 PM
    A lot of these are done in bulk by sleazy companies like Handster, who take or steal and repackage mass amounts of Symbian/Android/Java/whatever apps from teh interwebs and publish them - not caring if they really work or not on BB, or if they get a bunch of negative reviews. Search "handster" and you'll see 100's of garbage apps/games they didn't actually make on both the PB and Z10.
    02-23-13 10:35 PM
    Think of it this way. Until now, Apple and Google had cornered the market on cheap and dumb. Now, BlackBerry has a chance to win over the quantity over quality types by exploiting their fondness of cheap and dumb. And quantity over quality types are the reason that Apple, Samsung, etc. sell the most phones in the world.
    02-23-13 11:07 PM
    Think of it this way. Until now, Apple and Google had cornered the market on cheap and dumb. Now, BlackBerry has a chance to win over the quantity over quality types by exploiting their fondness of cheap and dumb. And quantity over quality types are the reason that Apple, Samsung, etc. sell the most phones in the world.
    I truly hope -- no, I know -- that they don't think this way in Waterloo.
    02-23-13 11:14 PM
    I truly hope -- no, I know -- that they don't think this way in Waterloo.
    I know they aren't. Blame Poe's law.

The bigger problem is that Cupertino and Mountain View think that way. "Sure, our phones break your email and explode in your pocket, but they fart! Do your phones fart? No? Exactly!"
    HedoBum likes this.
    02-24-13 12:03 AM
    This is why BB decided to have the BUILT FOR BLACKBERRY program. I hope more and more developers will enter it and make great native or HTML5 apps for the platform. BB10 needs numbers (just from a numbers perspective), but they also need quality apps.
    02-24-13 01:47 AM
44 12